• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much do you feed your birds daily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Okay well this is more for the people who actuall measure out portions and such not really the ones who free feed.

I noticed over the past week that Daisy is a PIG! She eats so much. Her food bowl always ends up empty in a couple days but ralphie's takes atleast a week or more to empty.

I'm doing a test now. I measured out both of their food so they have exactly the same amount and I went off the harrisons bag for amounts. It said 1tbs-1.5tbs per day is all they should eat. I know she's eating more than that so I did a tablespoon of harrisons and a tablespoon of roudybush. Outside measureing their pellets I'm not doing anything else different. The get a treat bowl with a small handful of seed on the top of their cages each morning which usually there is a little left over in the end. Then they also get some sort of fresh fruit and veggie daily. Then they also get four nutriberries throughout the day and Ralphie gets an almond every other day or so.

How much do you feed your birds?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Koopa is a little piggy too. It feels like she eats almost double what Jingo does and he is twice her size :eek: :lol: Here is my estimated breakdown of what Koopa eats in a given day:

1-2 tbsp of pellet (even mix of TOPS, Roudybush, and Zupreem Natural)
1 tsp soaked seed mix
1/2 tbsp of bountiful harvest or goldenfeast petite hookbill legume (depending on what is being offered that day)
2-4 tbsp of fresh foods

Somedays she will eat much more of one thing over another; she seems to prefer fresh foods to pellets whenever possible, but pellets are her go-to. I don't know where she puts it all but she is so go, go, go.. She hasn't gained any weight on that! Jingo gets the same foods, but he prefers his bountiful harvest and goldenfeast so his ratios are a little different.

These are all guesses, some could be higher or lower :)

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We have to feed them daily?!:eek:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I doubt many people measure how much.... we will see.

My macaws at work eat about 1/4 cup of pellets per day. My too's get 1/4 cup between the two of them. My amazons is I think about 1 tbs, but I will look to be sure for you. They also get fresh veggie chop and nuts daily. Korbel is a pig and he does not count and Maui has better things to do than eat :D

sthiele

Budgie Bunch
Real Name
Steve
My entire flock has 24/7 access to their dry mix. I don't measure it out, I just eyeball it and all of my birds are normal weight. When I bake birdie bread, I cut it into squares and then every morning when I microwave it, I just cut up and distribute the square amongst everyone. I would say the flock gets at least a tablespoon each of veggies and cooked food every day. The conures also get a nutriberry and nut every day.

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I don't really measure anything. It's hard to find out how much they are actually eating too. Especially, since half the food ends up on the floor, the wall, and the ceiling.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
I never fill the cup even mostly full. Olive will get about 1/4 c of pellet/seed/goldenfeast IF I'm going to be gone a lot and miss breakfast and/or dinner. Otherwise she just gets a nut or two to forage for and 1-2 tablespoon of a pellet and seed mix. It's never totally gone, but I like to give fresh everyday so that way I don't waste as much and I can track better what she's eating. Some days all the TOPS are gone, some days she only picked out the seed, some days she likes the Harrison's. If she's not feeling well, there will be more left in her dish and it has been helpful to know that. She gets fresh food twice a day so its not the bulk of her diet, just there for grazing.

It is really interesting to see how differently people do it! I fed my other birds this way too and it always worked for me so I never even thought about changing it with Olive.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
weeble gets about 1 tbsp of mash in the a.m. has TOPS and harrison's available in the cage all day with about 6 or 7 Oven Fresh Bites and gets 2 tsp GF conure blend, 1 tsp of GF gardenflora, 1 tsp of VM fruit/nut mix in the evening in different foragers along with her fruit and veg skewer all on the playstand She wastes a ton of the snacky stuff, but eats most of her pellets:D

Gypsy's diet is similar, but substitute TOPS for RB rice diet and switch the fruit/veg to lunchtime and add 1tsp seed.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
This morning when I let her out I can see she has less than a tablespoon of roudybush left. She's eaten all of the harrisons already and the food has only been in there for like 12 hours. They are out of their cages now and are enjoying their seed. I bet that when I come home from my final her food will be gone completely. She doesn't feel over weight tho.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I probably give everybirdie about a 1/4 cup of Roudybush every day as a staple and then what they get in addition to that depends on the day but is generally fruits and veggies that I cut up that day or frozen veggies if I'm lazy or sprouts or a mix of this. I also have a dry mix that I feed that's very comparable to Kathie's Bountiful Harvest that I'll give to them a couple of times a week when I'm really lazy. I absolutely know that I overfeed but I feel so guilty when I try to give them less and get empty bowls...there's some kind of sickness about feeling better when you throw stuff out I think:)

Out of all my guys, the only ones who generally clean their bowls completely are the Ekkies...crazy garbage disposals!:rofl:

stephwin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Stephanie
Out of all my guys, the only ones who generally clean their bowls completely are the Ekkies...crazy garbage disposals!:rofl:
Yes! This is Slimer. He looks so sad when he finishes his food and I feel like I haven't given him enough. We weigh him often and his weight is steady, but the vet did say he felt a little pudgy at his last visit. We've been trying to get him more active but his weight is still about the same.

In the morning he gets chopped fruits, like kiwi and strawberry plus about 8 Harrison pellets (the large size). So that's probably 2 tbs of pellets? Most of his food is gone when I get home and he gets dinner with a grain and veggies like carrots, peppers, and broccoli. He usually eats most of that. We recently switched him to Harrisons and it seems like he just devours that stuff. He really enjoys it.

ParrotsforKeeps

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Meg
Well if I were to feed my ekkies only mash (so legumes/grains/minced veggies) they would get a bit shy of 1/2 cup a day. And Claudia is quite large, 520 grams or so! For my quakers, since they share a cage, I would say maybe a 1/3 cup a day for both of them? Maybe a bit more. Clementine is in the middle, since she gets about a 1/3 cup a day as well. Obviously these mash measurements would be divided between two meals.

I really only feed mash for one meal, and then have dry mix or salad and treats or something I have made like birdie bread or some of my healthy food, etc, for them for the other meal. They also get some small treats throughout the day. But those measurements I gave for mash would be the whole diet, nothing else, with only a teeny bit left in the dish so you know they are not still hungry.

Cinnyluver

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
I give my tiels 3 teaspoons of pellets and 3 teaspoons of seed a day (per dish...each dish feeds two birds). Curious, Juni, and Tico, don't get measured. They just get refills every time they are running low on pellets. Same with the parakeet seed. In addition to their normal food, I make them breakfast every morning. Usually defrosted birdie muffins or oatmeal, and then they get a salad for lunch. I don't measure how much of that I give them.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I don't measure out in teaspons or tablespoons.. but more by grams. Depending on what I'm feeding, the small birds (5 cockatiels and a bourke) get 50-60 grams of food per day, and Charlie gets, on average, 15 grams of food.

Fresh/cooked foods are just eyeballed.

Status
Not open for further replies.