• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How many feathers do you clip?

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
When I got Sprite a month ago his idea of flying was to grip my finger and flap like a baby ready to fledge. But then one day he started to actually fly. I was hoping to keep him fully flighted, but it simply isn't working out here at the beginning while he's settling in. He seems dead set focused on two things when he's out: immediately flying back to his own cage or, moreso, flying to the outside of the p'let's cage where one of these days he's going to lose a toe if I'm not fast enough to get him because the p'let reeeeeeeeally doesn't like it and attacks from the inside (and then grumbles about it for awhile!). Sprite does not seem to be picking up on staying with me or staying on the bird gyms. I go get him, bring him back to me, he flies off. Repeat ad nausa. He's not food oriented and only eats when HE wants to eat. So, our training is not really moving anywhere other than he will now stay on my hand while taking him out of the cage (yay!). Clearly I haven't yet found what makes him tick :)

Anyhow, because of the p'let safety issue, I did clip 4 of his flights and let me tell you, it didn't make a dent. He can still easily go from the floor to the ceiling (and anywhere else). I will try making it 5 to see how that goes, but it got me to wondering how many feathers the rest of you clip?

-NG

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
We don't handicap our birds (clip). We adapt the environment to make it work (which is as simple as a barrier). Which is what you should be doing.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The vast majority of this forum is pro flight. You will get many more answers of how to teach wanted behavior and limiting unwanted behavior.

Depending on the bird, weight/strength/endurance some birds can fly without any feathers at all.
What you are looking for is limiting distance and height but keeping the ability to glide downward in case they fall or have an accident.
You also wants to keep the first one if not two first primary feathers as they are impact feathers that protect the wing.

A safe clip would be primary feathers 4-8,
9 and 3 in an emergency but more than that will be dangerous.

This house is completely pro flight but if you are going to clip please be safe when doing it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Very few of us clip our bird's wings and then generally only for health reasons. When my Jasper was very ill and she wasn't supposed to fly (per her vet), I clipped her wings and she could still fly, but very poorly. Since that one time I have never clipped her - I think you could amputate one wing and she could still fly.

There is a method of clipping that does not stop them from flying, but just restricts their speed and distance. I can't find an illustration of the method now, no feathers are cut back just parts of the flight feathers are trimmed.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
To clip wings in Sweden and in several other country's in Europe is illegal.
Think about why for a while before cutting more of his feathers.
Aren't our bird's safe?
Aren't they tame?

Take your responsibility as his care giver and friend and only do what is right and healthy for him. At the moment I think you should be really happy that he still can fly.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi was clipped as a baby bird but is now fully flighted. She comes to me when she wants, but flies off when she has another idea. I think flight has made her much more confident and happy so I will not clip her again. I have made many changes to our place so that she is safe when out of the cage. I use tension rods and sheer curtains to block her from dangerous places.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
A month is no time at all. If Sprite keeps flying back to his cage or to the parrotlet's cage, maybe he feels safer there for the moment. Disabling his ability to fly away if he is uncomfortable isn't going to earn his trust. I would cover the top of the parrotlet's cage with a sheet so that no toes get bitten. It will be so much better for him mentally and physically if he is able to fly. It's part of being a bird. :fly2:

Yay for him staying on your hand as you bring him out of the cage. Maybe just set him down on top of his cage for now until he gains more confidence. Put some toys on top for him to play with. Or just open the door and let him decide if he wants to come out himself. Choice is a hugely important reinforcer.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
Rather than cutting off the birds' wings, we make the environment safe here.
That might mean not keeping the two birds in the same room.
It is normal for a bird to explore and not want to sit on a perch all day.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
He seems dead set focused on two things when he's out: immediately flying back to his own cage
, I did clip 4 of his flights
Disabling his ability to fly away if he is uncomfortable isn't going to earn his trust.
That was my thought exactly.
Now you are trying to force the bird to be with you by clipping the bird as much as possible to immobilise him.
This will create a very insecure bird lacking in confidence and flight skills.

Please have a read of these articles by Pamela Clarke before touching any more of your birds feathers; Should I clip my birds wings? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
I´m sure after reading these, you will understand our replies to this thread more.

Also, if you are going to clip, get the vet to do it. They will do it properly making sure boths sides are the same to avoid any issues with balance and won´t clip too much that your bird falls from the sky.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Also, if you are going to clip, get the vet to do it. They will do it properly making sure boths sides are the same to avoid any issues with balance and won´t clip too much that your bird falls from the sky.
That's not true either. There's a lot of vets who don't know how to properly clip a feather and also do a hack job.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
There's a lot of vets who don't know how to properly clip a feather and also do a hack job.
Thankyou for saying this. That´s awful. I did not know that this sort of thing happens.

To clip wings in Sweden and in several other country's in Europe is illegal.
Very interesting. Maybe it is illegal here in Spain? I didn´t think it was, but a clipped bird is a rare thing to come by out here. Which makes the small cages even more infuriating but that´s a whole other topic.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I have a lot of trouble with my lovebird and my linnies, and a barrier for the parrotlets cage is a good way to go before clipping. I use either a flattened box or a big sheet of bubble wrap. And also providing lots of places to land and play including maybe a table perch on top of the parrotlets cage (with the cardboard under). I'm still working on this, but I find it the best option is separate flight time. I have a small bedroom as the bird room so my birds only get to fly in there so I can keep them safe. It's tough to balance at times, but I love to see them flying. You may want to start with a small space and teaching him to fly to you. I wave my hand in a certain way and my lovebird knows that I'm asking her to come to me.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I'm surprised he isn't food motivated because linnies are famous for being piggies! He may just need more time to settle in, because nothing moves my boys like a treat. Any. Treat. And you can try letting him come in and out of his cage on his own, so if he's scared he can easily go back and it allows him to build confidence in his own terms.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Also, if you are going to clip,
Think again, read more, ask for advice here, we will help you secure your home.
That's not true either. There's a lot of vets who don't know how to properly clip a feather and also do a hack job.
Yes. And even if they get a good (but how can ever a wing clip be good? :( ) wing clip they can have problem growing in new feathers because the new ones brake.
One wing clip can end up with him loosing flight for years.
Maybe it is illegal here in Spain?
I don't think Spain was one of those country's. And that is sad because Spain also is a member of EU and I think all country's in EU should have the same animal laws.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How mny feathers do i clip? A total of 00000

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
oh I agree with this!

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Also, if you are going to clip, get the vet to do it. They will do it properly making sure boths sides are the same to avoid any issues with balance and won´t clip too much that your bird falls from the sky
Not always the case.