• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how loud can a Sun Conure get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
The calls of a Green Wing macaw are nothing when compared to the pitch of a Suns' calls. An elderly friend of ours has a Sun.
I think he can tolerate the noise level because he's very old & hard of hearing:)
It's a much, much higher pitch than, for example, a Hahns macaw.

Sailor's Mom

Sprinting down the street
I hand raised several Suns and yes they are VERY LOUD! I always knew when someone was in the yard because they went off like guard dogs! :lol:

TITANIS

The calls of a Green Wing macaw are nothing when compared to the pitch of a Suns' calls. An elderly friend of ours has a Sun. I think he can tolerate the noise level because he's very old & hard of hearing:)
It's a much, much higher pitch than, for example, a Hahns macaw.
I think perhaps that's the reason I don't find Suns as annoying compared to other species like G2s, whose pitch is somewhat lower. I cannot hear anything in the upper frequency range of human hearing (ex. the last several keys to the right on a keyboard), and I have poor hearing overall. :(

Last edited:

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Never mind...was trying to post a video from my husband's FB page. :o:

Chicklet

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jamie
Briar is LOUD! lol And I'm grateful every minute for the information that taught me to teach him an appropriate contact call BEFORE he learned how to scream constantly :p that said he still screams a good 10-15min total per day

Djuna

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
Julius is loud but he is never constant. He contact calls and screams if he sees strange things like a dog in the yard or someone jogging down the street. I can understand why these poor sweetie birds are one of the most rehomed parrots :(

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
Like a few others have said, I don't think it's the volume, it's more the pitch. I can handle my Orange Wing screaming but cringe when my Sun yells. Especially when she's ony shoulder and calls to the GCC's!!!

kebz

Real Name
Emily
Yes, sun conures can be loud... but given enough attention then they hardly scream.

The only time Mango will scream is when i get home as he is excited to see me or if he wants to come out of his cage. He doesnt just randomly scream his head off for no reason.... oh and another time he will scream *different to a normal scream* is when he see's a cat in our backyard. Its like a "AHHH theres an evil cat in our backyard thats going to eat me" kind of scream.

So yes, give your sun attention and he wont scream (as much) :p

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Here is an article that someone compared sound levels and I think suns are comparable to leaf blowers Decibel Meter Madness

That being said my sun has the harshest call and occasionally if there is a bug, critter outside or if for some reason she deems it necessary that I come and get her, she is the loudest by far. My hearing has gone down hill over the last 8 years as when they used to scream on my shoulder it would physically hurt and make my ears ring. Now, not so much. Chya is left flighted because she screams to be picked up if she can't find me on her own. Hubby came home one day and was turning down on our road...he could hear both her and my gold cap from the stop sign...at least 500 feet or more-we were sitting on the front porch.

Tomsde

Real Name
Tom Santomartino
I agree with the afforementioned comments that it's more the pitch than the volume of the call that is painful; kind of like fingers scraping across a chaulk board. Quakers aren't exactly quiet though either--they can be very loud. Sun Conures have many endearing qualities and I wish I could have one myself, but I am afraid that the noise level would be too high living in a townhome. When the 3 birds we have get going it can be loud--but they really on sound off 2-3 times a day. The little Suns are so affectionate they just want to be with their people all the time; like a baby wanting it's mommy--it's an unfortunate trait that the Jendays and other Aurantinga conures share. I suppose the bit question is how much noice can you tollerate? How much noise would your family find acceptable and do you have neighbors that would be problematic hearing the birds calls. If I lived in a single family home with a good distance between houses I would love to have a Sun Conure--but unfortunately the noise level has ruled one out for us.

Kitzj0

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joe
My two suns get a lot of attention, but they still scream every time they see or hear me demanding me to get the out. When they are on my shoulder and scream it is physically painful. OUCH!!!!

However, they are so affectionate and really are like Velcro. They have so much personality. They really have brought my life a lot of joy!

TITANIS

However, they are so affectionate and really are like Velcro. They have so much personality. They really have brought my life a lot of joy!
This is very true. They have fantastic personalities and are very affectionate. If it wasn't for the loud vocalizations, they'd be nearly perfect.

pst003

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Patricia
If its anything like my cherry head...wowee! :scared4: My bird is extremely easy to frighten. I'm not sure if this is because of the breed or because of the abuse he suffered when he was young (or both), but he can sure freak out! Especially when he sees something long and slender like a pole. He is a major houdini and he used to get out of his cage at the pet shop he was in. They would catch him with a net. It was quite horrible and unecessary treatment, actually. Any time he gets off his cage, I have never had a problem getting him to step up onto my finger. Then again, that is part of the reason we got him out of there and we have loved him every day of the 20 years he has been with us! :heart:

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Well I have found a sun conure's scream not louder than other species. I have heard too's scream and the loudness is equal.
Also from my own flock, my alexandrine's are much more loud than my sun conure. They scream in the same loudness, higher pitch and for
longer periods of time.
Tequila, my sun conure, can sound like a fire alarm, but she doesn't scream as often honestly. and she doesnt yell with the sunset or sun rise.
her yells are either to communicate with someone she can hear but can't see or because she sees something alarming (like a moth lol!)

i love my little girl and we actually have lots of fun together where she lets out a scream or two... nothing out of this world.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Ella got her name because she can range 3 octaves (like Ella Fitzgerald) and I'm NOT kidding. When she hits her high shriek, its worse than nails on a chalkboard. Ears bleeding is a very true statement.

ifly

Real Name
Ariba
i personally dont find mango (my sun) to be EXTREMELY loud!! he does scream. on many occasions adn he is NOT an apartment bird either. but i think that some people cant stand it. he has screamed in my ear and it does ring but i dont find it TOTALLY UNBEARABLE! and mango has never gotten as loud as the sun in the first video. never!! he only screams fro attention and that is easily fixed. but that is just me so...

Tomsde

Real Name
Tom Santomartino
I think they are wonderful birds, the noise would be too much for us though.

gayla

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gayla
What....? Did someone say something about a screaming Sun Conure.....?

My hearing isn't what it used be before I got Pita, sorry :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.