• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long will steamed sweet potatoes stay good in the fridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Rudy rb will *only* eat steamed sweet potatoes and he likes them everyday. I'd rather not stay up late steaming sweet potatoes during the middle of the week...
And no i don't have any time before 9 pm to do any kitchen stuff, because the birds must be out and free for four hours in the evening and i supervise....:)

so long story short....how many days can i keep them? Please say 5 days :hehe:

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
I would say 3 or 4 days. You can freeze them!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
3 or 4 nights in a good quality sealed container in the FRIDGE.:) I do not spend my time steaming sweet potatoes every day.

Microwave for a few seconds before serving and make sure there are no Hot spots before serving.:hug8:

:eek: You've been steaming sp everynight these last few months?:p

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
3 or 4 nights in a good quality sealed container in the FRIDGE.:) I do not spend my time steaming sweet potatoes every day.

Microwave for a few seconds before serving and make sure there are no Hot spots before serving.:hug8:

:eek: You've been steaming sp everynight these last few months?:p
thanks Bridgette!
Saemma i was jumping through hoops trying to get the steaming started before i left work by calling home ...it all became ridiculously complicated so i stopped for a month....tried shoving wrinkly microwaved 'samosas' down his throat and he recoiled in horror. Anyway i am back to steaming and Rudy is loving it:D

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Mr. Tudy knows the finer things in life :D

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:lol: I would have enjoyed seeing photos of wrinkly samosas..for one month!!!

I can't do the steaming everyday. Nor do I cook everyday. I cook a huge batch and freeze in portions for about 4-6 servings. This means for 2 or 3 days. It's all very time consuming.:D Gotta prioritize for maximum impact.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
steam several, freeze, reheat! Saves lots of time

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:heart: Btw.. Rudy can come live with me. I will serve him steamed sweet potato everyday ~ twice a day and introduce him to other steamed root vegetables too.:D

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I would say 3 or 4 days. You can freeze them!
omg i am so happy to hear that will work!:D

:lol: I would have enjoyed seeing photos of wrinkly samosas..for one month!!!

I can't do the steaming everyday. Nor do I cook everyday. I cook a huge batch and freeze in portions for about 4-6 servings. This means for 2 or 3 days. It's all very time consuming.:D Gotta prioritize for maximum impact.

i was cooking quinoa late nights too till i said duh me and started freezing it :lol:

steam several, freeze, reheat! Saves lots of time
saved my life! Rudy says than you both, Chris and Bridgette!:hug8:

:heart: Btw.. Rudy can come live with me. I will serve him steamed sweet potato everyday ~ twice a day and introduce him to other steamed root vegetables too.:D
which other root vegetables? Rudy wants to know!:D oh and you have to hold it out for him to eat

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Saroj ..

If you're going to steam, store and reheat .. steam them slightly undercooked .. that way, when you reheat them, they don't get too overcooked and mushy, that's what I do.

Other veggies that Rudy may like, if he likes sweet potato would be things like Butternut Squash or Spaghetti Squash, both similar in texture to Sweet Potatoes. Harder to find, but worth it, is the Delicata Squash, but you'll probably only be able to find them in the fall.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Something I like to do is steam the sp, then blend it in the blender, to a baby food consistency. Then, I put a dollop in each square of an ice cube tray, wrap it in saran wrap and freeze. I can pop out one or two cubes as needed and it thaws pretty quick over some warm AO mash or pasta. I find this easiest, as I dont always have time to steam fresh stuff in such small portions for my girls. Good Luck!!!

Mommy2Ferris

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Natasha D
Something I like to do is steam the sp, then blend it in the blender, to a baby food consistency. Then, I put a dollop in each square of an ice cube tray, wrap it in saran wrap and freeze. I can pop out one or two cubes as needed and it thaws pretty quick over some warm AO mash or pasta. I find this easiest, as I dont always have time to steam fresh stuff in such small portions for my girls. Good Luck!!!
Fantastic Idea. People do this with homemade baby food... so why not do it for our fids too?!

Status
Not open for further replies.