• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long is too long?

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I've spent the past hour trying to cut Spearmints nails, as theyre extremely long. His toes get raised off a flat surface.
I wasn't able to cut the longest ones, as he would screech/freak out, and the nail clippers couldn't cut through it.
I would rather my vet trim his nails, as i'm awful at this. How long can a nail be before it becomes an issue?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
They are too long if they are lifting the toes up off the flat surface.

Burts are currently the same as spearmints as he has been mostly hands off, run and duck for cover for the last few months, he is being fairly cooperative at the moment so I am trying to file them. I wont cut the nails with human clippers 9n any animal (including my budgie) as I know of too many people causing splits along the nail or taking too much off- including some vets I have seen- but Burt does not like holding his foot out for them to be filed so I encourage him to hang on the cage bars and I do them that way.

Can you maybe try filing the nails instead of using clippers? You can get some fairly chunky nail files that grind them down fast enough.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd say that's the point were they need to be as cut back as possible but it's going to be slow process most likely since the odds are the quick is right there at the tip of the nail. I had this issue with Bosco most of all since he's untame and his nails were very long when i first got him.
We got on a strict schedule of going to the vet once a month to get a small amount trimmed back to be as successful as possible to get them down to an appropriate length.
A good rule of thumb is to tip them roughly every two weeks as needed to get them to more manageable length and the quicks to recede appropriately.
When I had my tame Conures I'd do them every 2 weeks on the dot since I trained them from the moment I got them to tolerate being gently flipped on their backs in my hand and very carefully clipping their nails.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
When Valentines nails and beak get too long, I take her for a spa day at the vet where she has her beak and nails trimmed. If you feel uncomfortable with clipping or filing
your birds nails call your vet and ask how much it would be, if too much see if they could work out a payment plan!

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
They are too long if they are lifting the toes up off the flat surface.

Burts are currently the same as spearmints as he has been mostly hands off, run and duck for cover for the last few months, he is being fairly cooperative at the moment so I am trying to file them. I wont cut the nails with human clippers 9n any animal (including my budgie) as I know of too many people causing splits along the nail or taking too much off- including some vets I have seen- but Burt does not like holding his foot out for them to be filed so I encourage him to hang on the cage bars and I do them that way.

Can you maybe try filing the nails instead of using clippers? You can get some fairly chunky nail files that grind them down fast enough.
Oh shoot, my vet uses human clippers :wideyed:. I'll ask if she can use proper bird ones next time.
Spearmint hates files, won't let me try without screaming and flapping. He's not scared of the file itself, only when I start to file.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
When Valentines nails and beak get too long, I take her for a spa day at the vet where she has her beak and nails trimmed. If you feel uncomfortable with clipping or filing
your birds nails call your vet and ask how much it would be, if too much see if they could work out a payment plan!
I'll give her a ring and ask if I can come in soon. A family member has COVID so we're trying not to go out too much.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I'd say that's the point were they need to be as cut back as possible but it's going to be slow process most likely since the odds are the quick is right there at the tip of the nail. I had this issue with Bosco most of all since he's untame and his nails were very long when i first got him.
We got on a strict schedule of going to the vet once a month to get a small amount trimmed back to be as successful as possible to get them down to an appropriate length.
A good rule of thumb is to tip them roughly every two weeks as needed to get them to more manageable length and the quicks to recede appropriately.
When I had my tame Conures I'd do them every 2 weeks on the dot since I trained them from the moment I got them to tolerate being gently flipped on their backs in my hand and very carefully clipping their nails.
Yeah i've noticed his quick is very very close to the edge now, I nearly nicked it earlier.

Good idea on the schedule though, I need to start doing that. I should also ideally train him to be more okay with this, would make it easier for both of us. :cautious:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh shoot, my vet uses human clippers :wideyed:. I'll ask if she can use proper bird ones next time.
Spearmint hates files, won't let me try without screaming and flapping. He's not scared of the file itself, only when I start to file.
Oh really? They do not have the proper animal clippers? Maybe they only use them for little birds and the small animals with easy to cut nails. They just stress me out after seeing someone's cat with a nail split lengthwise. I guess your vet would have a decent sharp pair and know what nails may be too hard or large for the clippers to safely work.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah i've noticed his quick is very very close to the edge now, I nearly nicked it earlier.

Good idea on the schedule though, I need to start doing that. I should also ideally train him to be more okay with this, would make it easier for both of us. :cautious:
It will definitely make a big difference on both counts I'm sure :) . I made it a game with them since they liked being on their backs in my hands naturally that I just took it slow and got them used to the clippers visually first and then just touching them with the blades but not cutting yet and within about 2 weeks or less for all of them they weren't phased at all and the best advice I can give is don't get greedy and try to take to much at once no matter how tempting it is and don't hesitate the lighter you apply pressure if your unsure the more likely you are to crush the nail or break it weirdly.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Oh really? They do not have the proper animal clippers? Maybe they only use them for little birds and the small animals with easy to cut nails. They just stress me out after seeing someone's cat with a nail split lengthwise. I guess your vet would have a decent sharp pair and know what nails may be too hard or large for the clippers to safely work.

She's recommended as the best avian vet in the area, so she's probably got her reasons. But yeah, the more I think about it the more uncomfortable I feel with her using those. She should be fine to use proper animal clippers next time.