• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long does it take your Amazon to learn new words?

sierraecho89

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
Just curious! I have a double-yellow headed rehome (she's twenty-nine-ish!) who has a vocabulary of maybe fifteen to twenty words or so.

In the past three years, she has learned exactly three notes of her favorite song that I sing to her every night, lol. That's it. No new words!

I mean, we haven't exactly been pushing her; most of our training time has consisted of building trust between her and myself and her and my husband, reminding her what toys are, and helping her to be more active and shed perch-potato pounds on playstands.

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
My BFA just turned 36. He learned most of his words within the first 5 years of his life. I guess he hasn't learned any new ones for the past 20 years or so. I think they are most able to pick them up when young.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Each bird is different.

My guys are both older rehomes. I've heard Secret come out with new words since in our home (over 6 years now) and I know she (actually dna male) was around in 1978. Secret also does a new whistle or two.

MC has added one or two words but he mumbles a LOT.

Both learned to do a turn around very easily.

Don't count out an old parrot. They have a lot of life in 'em and will surprise you when you least expect it!.