• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long do I have to wait?

Taylor Zaugg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Taylor
How long. Do I have to wait when I bring my Eddie home to take him out of his cage and let him sit on his play stand? And interact with him? Does he need time in his cage alone to adjust.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It really depends on the bird and how long it takes him to adjust. With Elvis, my foster bird, he was out from the minute I brought him home. With my tiel, it took a few weeks before he would leave his cage. You just have to just kind of follow the bird's lead.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I didnt wait at all. As soon as we got home he came out of his travel cage and i let him walk around on top of the table. Echo was attached to me from day one. I visited him several times when he was being weaned. He wanted to be with me every second. The challenge was to get him to go back to his cage happily. He would cry if i left him. He now goes in by himself but will always choose me to sleep on.

Each bird is different but i suggest a safe low stimulus room for first outing. Good lighting so if they fly they can see properly. And somewhere unclutered as probably still learning to fly/land properly.

Eckies freeze first, then take flight when scared so watch body language. It feathers are tight against body, lean away from something and slightly freeze its a sign they are scared.

Go slow, have treats handy and just make sure they are always safe.

How exciting!!
:sunflower:

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
As others have said there is no specific set of rules for this kind of thing. It's up to the parrot. I wish you and your new friend the very best :D

Hope the trip home isn't stressful.