• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long did you wait for your dream bird and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyanimal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
I can't remember how long I waited, a long time and the reason it took so long was because of the expensive price tag.

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
I waited about 8 months for Mister. I knew nothing about birds, so I took some time to learn about them.

Onyxena

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Morgan
When I was about 6 I wanted a BG macaw more than anything in the world, and I was a lucky kid who had my own horse! I waited until I was 22 and moved into a house and went for it. That was 11 years ago. I waited until I was done with school and had a place that would be agreeable to this type of bird. And I learned as much as I possibly could all those years, and did have a few smaller birds. When I finally was able to get my macaw that I had waited for for so long, I was nearly in tears! Every big macaw is my dream bird:)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I waited seven years for the little Kish-meister because other birds kept following me home and I didn't feel like it was the right time to add a Rosie...I finally took the plunge almost a year ago and there isn't a single regret...I often wonder why I waited so long.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
we were not bird people....we had cats and dogs our whole lives and they grew old and died of old age...the dog Freckles was 18 1/2 when she went...We got a rescue tiel quite by chance...hubby kept going over to his sister's house..they had a tiel there, BJ and she was not being let out, not being fed, cage not being cleaned...hubby kept going over there & coming home so mad..he would go over to feed her and make sure her cage was clean...one day, he came home with her...she was with us for nearly four years before she passed away..we sure loved that little girl..and after that we were hooked....every bird that has come along since then has been our dream bird...

sthiele

Budgie Bunch
Real Name
Steve
We had some birds when I was a kid, but I wasn't actively involved with them. My mom bought 2 parakeets in 2008 and that jump started my interest in birds. Shortly after, I bought another 2 parakeets, and then I bought my mom a cockatiel for Christmas. Last July, I went into a local bird store to check out the love birds, but ended up bringing Tucker home (a sun conure was my dream bird). It was definitely an impulse buy, but I wouldn't change anything. 2 months later, I added Kirby and then added another 6 parakeets from a breeder friend who had to rehome her birds due to her son's allergies. I thought I was done expanding my flock then, but a lady from another bird forum who lives in Virginia needed to rehome her dusky conure, Karis, and I figured what the heck, what's one more? Down the line, I want to add an african grey to my flock, but that won't be at least for another 5 years or so.

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
I'm still waiting for my dream bird :)
That would be a hawkhead... that has a heavy pricetag of $3000 +

*dies*

One day :)

HelenVanessaDavies

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
I wanted a pink cockatoo when I was about...7 ish. I just loved them, thought they were beautiful. 12 years later, ONE MORE DAY TIL DREAM FID:dance4:

lzver

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Laura
Still waiting for my dream bird - a grey. I just don't feel like its the right time to add a grey to the flock.

quakingcanopy

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I wanted a pink cockatoo when I was about...7 ish. I just loved them, thought they were beautiful. 12 years later, ONE MORE DAY TIL DREAM FID:dance4:
YAAAYYY!! I demand, yes demand, many pictures :heart::heart::heart:

Time will tell I guess. I have wanted a CAG since I was 13 or 14. My grandmother has one named Easy. I love easy so much. He's everything we look for in a pet bird. Independent, affectionate, busy bodied and curious, and even very smart and talkative - when his meals are being made he tells my grandma which foods he wants and she serves them up. AWESOME!

I'll be 24 at the end of the month. So 10-11 years now? It'll happen when it's time. I love the birds I have and each new species has been a new experience for me. I would like a blue front amazon someday too, but a CAG is my dream bird. It's about finding the right one in need of a home - or from a breeder I know and trust. And about being in the right position to buy another cage, more accessories, etc. I know it'll happen someday!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I had female Red-bellied on my dream list for a while - I had to wait over a year. Couldn't find any I was willing to take in that were rehomes. In fact, I only found one which I didn't bring home because I felt I might jeopardize the health of my flock.I had then resorted into finding a baby, was waiting on a clutch of three and there were all males. finally, Pixel came along which was great because I had one seen her for sale in a Pet store, had been tempted to purchase her but had walked away because I didn't want to encourage that pet store chain.

For my Cape I've also had on a list for a few years. And while I had seen a few available babies over time, it never seemed like the right time - smaller apartment with no space, was working as a temp so money in was a bit more fickle than it is now, didn't think I was at a point with my flock where a bigger bird would work..This time felt right though. I had overthought a lot of things before getting to that point, ensuring safety was always a key factor.

GlassOnion

My DREAM DREAM bird is a large Macaw, probably a B&G. The likelyhood of that's ever happening? Probably never.

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Still waiting... looking for my macaw. I've wanted one since I was a child but no parent in their right mind buys a kid a macaw. So I'm waiting... we have a townhouse now so noise wouldn't be too big of a deal... I'm just nervous about one neighbor complaining And having to get rid of all the birds. :(

Last edited:

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
I didn't have to wait for my dream bird. Actually, back then, I had no thoughts of a "dream" bird until Mika hatched. From the instant he was born and started feathering out a different color than any of his other siblings, I was so in love. Mika is my dream bird. The bf always says, "Mika has spoiled us for any other bird." I think he's right. Though I'm sure I'll love my future bird when the times comes, Mika is truly my perfect dream bird.

artgeek09

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Jessica
I first learned about Eclectus in 2008, and fell in love. I still lived with my dad and he is NOT a bird person (or any type of pet person if it isnt a dog), soi had to wait. I also was getting ready to graduate high school and figure out where to go to for college so it wasnt a good time. Once I got started in college, I knew I still wanted to get my eclectus, but living in the dorms was not the best situation for one. I did start saving though. Then, this year I got into my own apartment, and my fiance moved into a house with a roommate, so living situations were better. We were waiting for next year when we were finally able to live together in a house to get our faby, but we saw Dante on craigslist and couldn't pass him up!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Wow, 8 years!! So did all that reading actually prepare you for what it is really like living with a grey?
Do you think you would have been just as prepared with only a year or two or research?

Great question!:)

I probably didn't need as much preparation as 8 years but keep in mind I was also quite younger than I am now. I understood the theoretical aspect of taking care of the african grey, however I also wanted to be finanicially sound and emotionally responsible for this commitment.

I also wanted to make sure that I was emotionally mature ready to dedicate the amount of time needed and to make the necessary sacrifices to ensure that my parrot thrives. Right now, I'm at a place in my life where I can do all of the above and MORE.

Status
Not open for further replies.