• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How Long Before Flight Feathers Grow Back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Ok..just went online & ordered the large one as you advised..:hug8::coffeescreen:Thanks Merci...~~NOW~~ I can safely take him outside with NO worries..& let his wings grow out
as they should..thanks a MILL~

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
My umbies took to the aviator very nicely. Once it was over their head they were ready to go. My cockatoos were the easiest to harness train.

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Also, even if they show no interest in flying does not mean they will not someday. Zen would not fly at all when I got him (still only does it occasionally) and I let his wings grow out. I was surprised one day when he flew to my cousin. Really, the whole time I was going "Omg Zen you can fly!" For that first year or so I never thought he really knew how since he never attempted it.

My aunts cockatiel also got out - clipped. Flew out the door. She was found within a few hours but she was very lucky, especially since she was on the ground. A predator could've easily taken advantage.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I can say there have been some times he's fallen off my kitchen island, because my daughter walked by. He hates her (for whatever reason is unclear to me) he literally runs after her until he falls off the counter, not realizing he ran out of room. He doesn't even attempt to open his wings and glide. He just goes boom on the floor. I kinda think that’s strange. As a bird not able to fl,y one would think to at least open the wings????? Not knowing his 15 past years doesn't help =(
Sounds like he's never learned or been allowed to fly... ie. always been clipped. I'd be careful not to let him fall like that - he could easily split his keel bone.

Status
Not open for further replies.