• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How Long Before Flight Feathers Grow Back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glxpassat

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I got my boy in June with his wings clipped. I was informed he would need them re-clipped in the Fall; which it is. What I have noticed, is they haven't even grown AT ALL! And I'm really almost thinking he doesn't even need them clipped to begin with, as he doesn't act like he knows he has wings... it's really wierd????:eek:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Has he been molting? Large parrots tend to molt flight and tail feathers once a year.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It took my birds a little over a year to regain flight feathers.

glxpassat

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Wow, interesting. He sometimes has a small amount of feathers on the bottom of his cage, but he'ss a "plucker." Not bad, but apparently, he has always plucked his lower tummy area; let's it grow back, once grown in, plucks again...

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Feathers don't grow after they mature. They molt out(drop/shed) old feathers and new feathers grow in to replace them. Generally if a clip is done, its when the new feathers are mature and have stopped growing. So this is why it doesn't look like they are growing. They will eventually molt out and be replaced by new ones. If you take your bird outside or have a tendency to leave windows open or have people coming and going from your house a lot, its important to maintain a clip. Its not like the old feathers drop out all at once and new once come in all at once. It would be wise to check the clip every couple of weeks to make sure a new feather isn't coming in. Sometimes the difference between a bird that can fly and one that can't is a single new feather. Depending on how many were clipped in his last home, it may take anywhere from a couple months if he goes through a big molt and only had a few feathers clipped to a couple years if he doesn't molt for a while and had a lot of feathers clipped.
Amazons that have been clipped for a long period of time tend to forget they can fly unless something spooks them. Never think that he can't fly just because he doesn't do it often. Murphy's Law is alive and well with birds. He might not ever fly for several years and then the one time someone leaves a door standing open and something makes a loud noise, he will spook and be gone. Always assume he can fly farther than you think he can and if you have a busy house, clip him as a double check safety measure unless your willing to take precautions and implement them with 100% diligence so that he never escapes. If you have a calm house, with no kids and everyone is responsible, you might be able to get away without clipping him.

glxpassat

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@ melissasparrots, I know what you mean, one day they are unable to fly and the next they take off flying; experienced that with my cockatiel regularly =). I do want his wings to be clipped as I take him outside with me whenever I'm outside working. Although he's not happy he can't go outside now, as the weather is way too cold, and might I add he throws the biggest temper-tantrum!

I can say there have been some times he's fallen off my kitchen island, because my daughter walked by. He hates her (for whatever reason is unclear to me) he literally runs after her until he falls off the counter, not realizing he ran out of room. He doesn't even attempt to open his wings and glide. He just goes boom on the floor. I kinda think that’s strange. As a bird not able to fl,y one would think to at least open the wings????? Not knowing his 15 past years doesn't help =(

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Which brings me to another issue I need advise on. At this time Elvis's wings are clipped. Last time
was at petsmart and I THINK they did a good job. I'm going to take a pic & post it so you guys
can see. Since I don't have alot of experience with large birds yet, I believe I should have him
clipped for now. I dont even think he knows he can fly:lol:however, I have been reading your
posts and am aware of the terrible things that can happen. I live alone in an apartment and when
I am home Elvis is only on his cage when I am feeling that he needs to play by himself and we
should give each other our space. Must admit, I do enjoy taking him out on my terrace which
is safe but I never leave him alone. SO~~~ advice away...PLEASE! PS: I think he is molting?:confused: He lost
two of his tail feathers and little furry feathers are sometimes on my floor..:huh:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Please remember that even a clipped bird can fly and taking them outside without a harness or in a carrier can end in devastation. All it takes is a small gust of wind or a loud noise that scares them and they could be gone in a flash. I highly suggest not relying on a clip just because you want to take them outside or even onto a balcony or patio. In these instances, clipped or not, please use a harness or put them in a carrier.

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I couldn't agree more with Jen. Don't think that just because your bird is clipped, even partially that they won't fly. A harness or a carrier is always the best idea. Especially if you have predatory birds around the neighborhood as we do.

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Thank you guys..I am aware of this and my terrace has tall cement walls and a roof to boot.
I am curious though. How can they literally fly away if there wings are clipped? I can understand
a gust of wind lifting them but how in the world can they just....continue flying? I can also
understand them getting caught in a high level tree or landing far from home..please, be patient
with me, remember this is all fairly new to me.:confused:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Unless you do a terrible severe clip of clipping every flight and covert feather, it's not safe to take a bird outside unharnessed.

And for the record, the terrible clip mentioned above is NOT an appropriate clip to do.

Always harness you parrot!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Personally umbrella cockatoos shouldnt be clipped. They need the independence of flight. Cockatoos in general need it. And it's emotionally and physically better for them.

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Ok~~ Then once again, I will take your advice Mercedez. I had bought him a harness but
at the vet I saw it wouldnt fit him. Now, please advise where I can buy a harness or an
aviator(?) even if its online. This way I will start to let his wings grow out and ONLY take
him outside with the harness. Sorry if I am a constant pain in the **t but I really want to
be the PERFECT --lol--birdie mommy..

glxpassat

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
So many things to learn! I had no idea, but super thankful too all!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Unless you do a terrible severe clip of clipping every flight and covert feather, it's not safe to take a bird outside unharnessed.

And for the record, the terrible clip mentioned above is NOT an appropriate clip to do.

Always harness you parrot!
Not even then...Reggie D2 is almost completely bald and he can fly outside. Not inside, but with the right wind, outside he can fly. Don't take the chance. I know we say this over and over and over again, but the chance is just not worth it. The only exception I think I'd ever make is if the bird was missing a wing. I just heard of a story where someone who thought her bird's wing was broken and she couldn't even extend it got swept away in the right wind. She was lucky and got her bird back but I just think you are taking huge chances by assuming your bird can't fly and not bothering with a harness or a carrier of some kind.

lpolliard

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leroy
Chico's flight feathers are still not completely grown back in and it has been close to a year. Only a few more to go and I think he is going through a molt. I am hoping those fall out soon.:dance4:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Personally umbrella cockatoos shouldnt be clipped. They need the independence of flight. Cockatoos in general need it. And it's emotionally and physically better for them.
Full flight is very beneficial to all birdies...just not outside unless you've done lots and lots of training!:)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Chico's flight feathers are still not completely grown back in and it has been close to a year. Only a few more to go and I think he is going through a molt. I am hoping those fall out soon.:dance4:
Chico is absolutely stunning, especially at that age!:heart:

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
I lost a very special CAG when I took her outside for a walk without her harness because I thought she could not fly. Now none of my birds are clipped and I behave accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.