1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How... [Injured Owl Finch]

Discussion in 'Canary & Finch Court' started by FinchMaster, 10/9/19.

1. FinchMaster

FinchMaster Meeting neighbors

Amelia
    I was going through my morning routine and noticed an owl finch (Oliza) roosting on the ground of the aviary. Obviously, that's not good, so I made sure she could fly away, and when she did, I went about my routine thinking all was well. Like, ten minutes later (while feeding the parrotlets) I noticed she was limping and pointedly not perching on one of her feet. I've had finches with feet injuries before, so I'm like -_- "fml"

After I finally catch her, I notice that there's a human hair wrapped around her foot and toes, embedded into her skin in several places and cutting off circulation. Like. I did NOT know this could happen. I feel so bad. D: Every time I think I've found a way to protect them from injury, more things happen!

I managed to get it off with tweezers and patience, but I'm very worried for her. Her toes were a little crusty and the joint is swollen, but there's no blackness. I put antibiotic cream on the entire foot and put her into a small 'hospital cage' I keep for emergencies. The vet isn't open today, so I'm currently just watching and waiting to see how she does.

[I put her mate with her because they were both panicking at being separated. If he causes issues for her recovery, I'll remove him.]

Anyone ever had something like this happen??

Rain Bow likes this.
  2. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Michelle
    I hope she feels better. Scary all the things we have to worry about with our birds.

Rain Bow, FinchMaster and Yoshi&Raphi like this.
  3. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    Sort of like this my vet told me a story of a bird she treated for a lower leg issue where by dental floss was wrapped around the lower leg cutting off circulation. This is why we should never let a companion bird walk around on the floor or a home where humans live. We drop things or miss the trash can. I hope the finches leg heals.

Rain Bow, Yoshi&Raphi and GoDucks like this.
  4. Beasley

Beasley Jogging around the block

Maggie Beasley
    Terrifying! I’m always panicked about that, I know babies and monkeys have had amputations due to hair cutting off circulation for too long. I hope she is okay and you caught it fast and without any damage being done

5. Yoshi&Raphi

Yoshi&Raphi Rollerblading along the road

Raphi
    Hopefully the vet says she will be ok! Lucky you noticed it.

Rain Bow and fashionfobie like this.
  6. fashionfobie

fashionfobie Rollerblading along the road

Natalie
    Rain Bow likes this.
  7. FinchMaster

FinchMaster Meeting neighbors

Amelia
    Rain Bow and fashionfobie like this.
  8. Noah's_Birds

Noah's_Birds Moving in

Noah Till
    It happens alot over here in Australia with breeding cup nesting finches (greenfinches, singer, siskins), as alot of them require cotton wool to form nests, as well as horse hair, but it can easily be prevented
    Cheers
    Noah Till

Rain Bow likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)