• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How hot is too hot?

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
It is coming hot over here in the UK. In the conservatory where my canaries are it was 32C I sprayed the air with a mister which brought temperature down to 30C..I have a thermometer attached to the aviary. I give more fresh baths when it is hot too.

Some of the canaries have gaping open beaks, wings slightly splayed..will they be ok..is this normal? It will likely get hotter too.. feeling worried

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
I know the exact problem you're having, it's just sun (I'm not used to so much sun).

My budgies often pant and have their wings open when they are out flying, I tend to mist them, leave the window open and they also just tend to be more sleepy. I don't want them to over heat so I don't let out too much or only in the morning when it's cooler.

I also change water more to keep it cold, you could use a fan (not so the birds can get at it) to keep air moving.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Yes this heat wave is most unexpected for the UK. Keep changing their water and make sure it is cold to cool them down.
I have the bird room windows open so they are getting a nice wee breeze, and have a rotating fan running in the living room so they aren't getting it full force.
Lots of cool mists throughout the day help.
If I see them panting, I give them a mist and move them to a cooler place.
Oh, and more fruit than normal. Grapes, watermelon, canteloupe, oranges are good due to their moisture.

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
To me, panting indicates something of a crisis. Keep spraying water and you have great advice from @Icey and @Jas

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Hi thankyou for replying and hello to the UK members

I had opened windows wide first thing and will keep them open. Thankfully the temperature has gone down to 28C and they now look comfortable. Back door is open and front window in living room, so the cooler air is passing through into the overall bird area.

I quite agree this hot weather is unusual. .had it in the spring..didnt have the spring temperatures this year..peculiar weather indeed.

Great idea about juicy fruit too

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
By the way it's going to get hotter around 35 Celsius in the UK,apparently this week

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Oh blimey..35 not good. It is cooler round back of house..will have to get the air moving around with the fans, but like you say ..away from the birds..and the mister at the ready. We need rain ..not had rain for weeks where I am..need that ice cream van lol

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I'm just giving Frankie and Bebe their 2nd misting for the day. They have their wings open for it and are loving it :)

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
I'm just giving Frankie and Bebe their 2nd misting for the day. They have their wings open for it and are loving it :)
Awwww happy birbs!!

Oh blimey..35 not good. It is cooler round back of house..will have to get the air moving around with the fans, but like you say ..away from the birds..and the mister at the ready. We need rain ..not had rain for weeks where I am..need that ice cream van lol
Yes rain and ice cream is what we need!!!

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
An easy way to cool down a room especially if you don't have AC is to put a cold damp cloth over a fan, right in front of where you are trying to cool down.
Keep replacing the cloth from time to time, and it can keep the entire area a good couple of degrees cooler.

Another thing you can do... if you have windows that you do not open cover them with tinfoil. Its not the prettiest thing in the world but it reflects the sun and drives off the heat.

*Tips from a girl that lives in Louisiana and used to live in Texas... and is used to heat waves.*

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Hi all

Great ideas..love the tinfoil idea too. Ive heard of the cold wet cloth. This reminded me of something else...freeze bottled water..the bigger the better and place in front of the fan too like the cloth. .completely forgot ..slept since last summer lol.

I like the idea of the frozen goodies for the birds but worried it would upset their tummies...really great idea if its ok and been tried. Im careful of the greens etc I get out of the fridge before I feed the birds because of the cold causing diarrhea. If its ok and ive been misinformed, ice cubes in the water could be another one..still uncertain though

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
35C is about 95 F which is where we are most of the summer/fall. Last year no relief until December. When I had birds outdoors I regularly misted them with water and gave them cool baths.... if I had them out there again I would install an auto mister.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
@finchly
35C here in the UK is tropical lol..we may get 2 weeks of this but then it fizzles out thank goodness. I couldn't stick it for months but then I dont know anything different. I really like your mister idea. .an auto mister a very neat idea indeed

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
35C is about 95 F which is where we are most of the summer/fall. Last year no relief until Decemallber. When I had birds outdoors I regularly misted them with water and gave them cool baths.... if I had them out there again I would install an auto mister.
That is a totally awesome idea!!! You're brilliant!!! :laughing12: