• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How healthy are parrotlets?

Samurai

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elle
Thanks for all the advice and links everyone, it's really helpful and reassuring :)
I'm still researching diet as there's a lot to take in and will speak to my vet and breeder re: pellets.

I have some of that shredder stuff on order from northern parrots, I was planning to weave it through the bars and add some to her toys.

Trinity23

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather
I know that my breeder suggests feeding a variety of orange veggies because p'lets are prone to vitamin A deficiencies. I feed a mix of pellet and seed to pickles. And of course supplement with veggies, mashes,fresh offerings etc etc. Again, I've never had issues with his health except when he injured himself.

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
Please keep in mind that birds in general die easily. They are very sensitive to their environment and hide illnesses until it is, almost always, too late to save them.

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
Most of their "health issues" have to do with their size. Because parrotlets are so small, it's easy for them to get into sometimes fatal trouble. I know that theres some statistic running around that shows most plets die before the age of 3 due to accidents. However, you can avoid tragedies, by taking extra precautions in safety and care (and by double-y bird proofing a home) there are plets on here that are in the 20s. :)

belmor

Moving in
Our Kira is now or about to be 5 (got her from someone who didn't have time for her) and she has been very healthy. She was on all seed diet when we got her and she now eats Zupreem Garden Goodness pellets and some fresh food (we were living on our boat, sold the boat and now staying in motorhome waiting to close on our new house so not as much fresh as she should) and she does well with it, no health issues in the 4 years we have had her. MY experience has been she is less bitey when her wings are clipped, she is flighted now but when we move I will clip her for a while for her safety (sliding glass door, ceiling fans, other hazards she has never been around). They are delightful birds but have the attitude of a big bird, Kira bit a yellow lab that came up to her cage once LOL.

~B~

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I apologize if this is a stupid question, I'm not really familiar with the practices of breeding and genetics and so forth, but aren't mutations achieved through generations and generations of inbreeding? That would lead me to believe that mutations are generally more prone to illnesses than the "wild-type." I'd love if someone can educate me on this subject further. I know someone with a dilute blue parrotlet that has had many, many problems, mostly respiratory, while her green parrotlet has been completely healthy.

I wonder if someone like @Tinta or @Monica can shed some light on this matter?

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I definitely noticed when I had a parrotlet that a lot of people were posting pics one day of their cute bird, the next you would see a post about them passing for seemingly no good reason{Most people do not necropsy, particularly young people unfortunately}
The reason is that many breeders do not follow proper breeding practice, trying to get certain colors. They do things like breed blue to blue. This makes for weak birds.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I have an almost 15 yr old Parrotlet that is a Pacific, normal green. IMO the colors that were around some years ago when I acquired my Parrotlet were priced around $600 for the blues. I love green so I will again stick to a normal green when the time comes that my current little is no longer with me. I think the breeding that is done is ruining the species, the mutation colors are pretty but with that comes the cost of a weaker gene pool when it comes to these birds.

Most of the birds that pass usually are the mutations you see and most of all accidents. These birds succumb often enough to house hold accidents. They are not like big birds, they need to be allowed to be out like big birds and medium sized birds but should be confined to one room, one without mirrors, windows and especially other pets and birds.

Diet also plays a huge role in their existence they are not to be feed just seed. Fresh and cooked foods will keep one healthy for years and also avoid them from dying of fatty liver disease. Seed primarily sunflower will surely shorten their lifespan.

Alyse

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyse
I have an almost 15 yr old Parrotlet that is a Pacific...
15 years is fantastic!! I love to hear that my 7 year old may have many, MANY more years to come!! :dancing:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I apologize if this is a stupid question, I'm not really familiar with the practices of breeding and genetics and so forth, but aren't mutations achieved through generations and generations of inbreeding? That would lead me to believe that mutations are generally more prone to illnesses than the "wild-type." I'd love if someone can educate me on this subject further. I know someone with a dilute blue parrotlet that has had many, many problems, mostly respiratory, while her green parrotlet has been completely healthy.

Somehow I didn't see this. The short answer is that there is no right answer here. Well, the answer is both "Yes" and "No", which is rather confusing! LOL

Mutations can come about in many different ways, and depending on the mutation and how rare it is, will also depend on if inbreeding is required or not.

Dominant Mutations - No inbreeding is required unless you are going for Double Factor Dominant birds and there are no unrelated birds to your own
Sex-Linked Mutations - No inbreeding is required unless you want a visual male and there are no unrelated birds to your own
Recessive Mutations - Requires inbreeding if an unrelated bird(s) cannot be found

Inbreeding in itself isn't necessarily bad. (hey, it happens in the wild, too!) When a potentially new mutation surfaces, breeders may 'test breed' the birds by pairing the birds with one of it's parents and possibly even a sibling. Once you have a confirmed mutation, then you need to establish it by breeding back to wild type healthy birds. Yes, this does require some amount of inbreeding to establish the mutation faster but it also requires a lot of outbreeding, too. If you mate two mutation birds together before the mutation has had a chance to establish then you could indeed end up with weaker offspring. However, once the mutation has become established, it shouldn't be an issue if you mate two mutation birds together.

The blue mutation eclectus in the USA came from an unrelated pair of normal colored ekkies! Every once in a while they'll throw blue offspring! I think this breeder has only sold more than one blue ekkie to one breeder. Everyone else who has purchased a blue ekkie from them is not allowed to purchase a second blue ekkie! As of this moment, I don't know if any of the blue ekkies have produced any offspring, but if they have, the offspring should be split blue like the parents.

The blue mutation yellow nape started from a pair of wild caught blue amazons! Assumed unrelated, since they came from separate nests (different pairs) and born a year apart. Since these birds came from split parents (and not parents randomly throwing a mutation once, then never producing it again), and I guess appeared to be rather healthy individuals, they were paired up, and have thus produced more blue mutation yellow napes.

Blue Mutation Yellow-Naped Amazon | Voren's Aviaries Inc

I wonder if the breeder who has the lutino dusky pionus has had any luck with getting her to reproduce. His plan was to not inbreed at all, so he purchased a second pair. First pair is a lutino hen x normal male. Second pair is made up entirely of two normal birds. If both birds reproduce, then the mutation pair will throw male offspring split to lutino. He can then take these male offspring and pair them up with the 100% normal offspring and have a 25% chance of producing more lutino female offspring. Last I heard though, the male in the mutation pair was more infatuated with the galahs in a cage over rather than his own supposed mate! :rofl:

Yes, inbreeding can be bad. Likewise, if done correctly, can result in some very healthy mutation birds.

As far as parrotlets go, well I can't comment on that. I don't own any parrotlets, nor have I ever owned one! That said, I no longer keep budgies. I've lost *so many* budgies that I couldn't stand to lose any more. I *love* the little birds, but have had no luck with them. Of course, most of the birds came from pet stores or were rehomes. I did have two budgies from a breeder for a few years that I never lost, but I did end up giving them up. I'm not interested in keeping budgies anymore unless I can have an aviary of them and get *all* birds from reputable breeders! (or great pet shops!)

Tinta

Avenue Veteran

I was also not alerted to being tagged in this post. :shy:
But it's the first time I've ever been tagged, I think and I find it kind of amazing that someone would think I was knowledgeable enough about something to warrant it. I totally feel special right now. :cool:

Anyway Monica answered super well and I can't really think of anything to add. :D

And in response to the rest of the thread, I hear more of p'lets dying from tragic accidents brought on by their size than anything else. Birds that went out to explore and got lost, hurt, or killed for it. Simply because they are so small and can get into some places other parrots can't. So just be very aware of where your p'let is when they are out of the cage.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you :D

drawingsbydrew

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, i am curious i have hand raised a yellow parrot-let since it hatched and absolutly love her and she loves me, recently i acquired her dad on account the owners other parrot lets where killed and she saw how i was with mine and wanted him to have a good life, he is super super sweet the only issue is i think he is in love with his daughter and while i would love to have babies!it does worry me not knowing the side affects of inbreeding parrot lets .should i be warry of this?i saw above you said it happens in the wild and isnt always a bad thing i would be interested in getting some more info on it.im a bit afraid to have them together not knowing the side affects.i have an experieced breeder around and have raised mine since hatched so not worried about all that, she just has no idea if inbreeding parrotlets is okay
like some species

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Just because it occurs in nature isn't necessarily enough justification to do so in captivity. I don't think there has been enough study on birds in the wild to even grasp what is and is not ok.

Also, without knowing the background to the father and his genetics, not a good idea. Birth defects may not be seen in first generation offspring, but do you know for a fact that the male's parents weren't closely related? Or that they didn't have any lethal recessive genes?

It's not something I would recommend, especially if you have no goals or intentions in mind (i.e. not breeding for color, size, or?), only that you have a pair and the male is interested in the female. This male parrotlet may be an exception to the "rule", but in general, pets don't make good breeders, and breeders don't make good pets. If you want to keep them as pets, then don't encourage them to breed. If you want to breed, do your research and find each bird a mate of their own, or perhaps find the male a mate of his own other than his daughter.