• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How hard is it to add a 2nd bird to your family?

Kallen

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kallen
Hi Denise,
I'm a new member and have been searching for younger aged Macaws. I lived across the street from my friend who had 5 very large and extremely noises macaws. I grew to love the shrieking, and I've missed the noises and the love they give. I used to go over and help her with her birds daily, when in town ( took bi monthly long weekends to de stress ), but thankfully, I stay at home now and long weekend getaways are not needed.
I have a fabulous vet friend who sees exotics and we have no trouble paying for her services. What's better is that she is only 2 minutes away from us at home and only 3 minutes to the hospital. She is also 24 hours including emergencies.
I am fully aware of the love/cuddle time they need, know all about their quirky behavior, and love hearing their noises rants in AM & Nightfall, and even seen some squak at thunder storms. All that is fine with me, as long as neither of them will chase my cat. My cat is older, declawed, and accepting of everything - have had rescue birds in home and all he does is keep his distance and watch him like he's a cartoon.
I hope you'll write back, I'm very interested in your birds. I am committed to my animals and would never rehomed them, they would become part of our family. Oh, btw, I have 6 children, 3 are off at college and 3 are home ( 14.5y, 16y, & 17.5y ) and would all love the addition of the birds. I've spoken to them in detail when I started searching for new house members.
I also have 2 highly trained and exceptional Service Dogs. They do different tasks, One picks items up from the ground, retrieves items on command, Carrys clothes when shopping on her back, does dpt and comforts me when I'm in pain. The other acts as a counter balance and stability assistant when or if my spinal nerves act up and weeken my legs. He also fetches items for me, does dpt, and Carey's my purse in his mouth for me ( by the handles of course ). I have spinal damage from being ejected from my fathers 65 scout at age 9. I broke by back, pelvise, and skull when I landed outside the scout and then the scout flipped on top of me. The ice and snow, and the door was bent completely in half by flipping over several times, which thank goodness provided just enough room to prevent squishing me to death. I've since broken my spine 3 other times, so bending is hard for me and on rare occasions, my legs weeken, but I'm usually able to do anything needed. Housing, feeding, and loving the birds would actually provide me with great joy and hopefully, you will see and understand this and give me the opportunity to provide them with the best environment and home for them. Can I ask, are they both the same sex or male and female? Any diagnosed health issue?
Please feel free to write me and ask me anything you'd like to know.
I look forward to it❣❣❣
Cheers,
Kallen Ann

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

hellen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
hellen
how about getting two smaller rescue birds that already like each other, could that work?