• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you know when a cockatiel is done laying eggs?

Renee87

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Renee
My Louis and Ladybird have decided they want to become parents! I tried to prevent it (changing the cage up every week, limiting shower time in the summer), they bonded well and agreed it was time.
After 2 weeks of honeymoon I was shocked to find ladybird behind the fridge guarding a little egg with her life! I knew it was going to happen, I left one corner of the living room inviting a week prior to the egg being laid. They hung out there but it was a sham! The real spot was behind the fridge. They even made a little nest! All those times I had my back turned in the kitchen :)
Out came the nesting box and they took to it right away. 2 days later I was expecting her 2nd egg. While making breakfast the babes decided to tie one over (shameless! Just inches from my cutting board).
2days after that they did it again. That evening she laid her 3rd egg.
Ladybird arranges all 3 eggs in the corner but in the morning I found her sitting on the eggs for the first time. Louis refused to wake up for his morning routine (this all happened at 6:30am). when I got home at 2pm louis was sitting on the eggs and I had some free time with my girl. She took the biggest pop on me. Now they’re both in the box.
I’m so confused! Will she lay a 4th egg or what? How do I know she’s done?

tielluver

Strolling the yard
Real Name
pat pritchard
Mine usually lay 3 eggs in a clutch, once every 2 days, but there have been times she's laid more. It's been a while since mine have had eggs that hatched because I've been replacing them with fakes, otherwise we would have over 50 babies. But if I remember correctly they usually sit on them for about 21 days, mine hatched their 3 one each consecutive day. Cockatiels often do not start to sit on the eggs until there are 2 or 3 eggs. then the parents take turns sitting on them so both have time to play, eat, fly, etc. You will probably know they're done laying when 3 or more days go by without another egg. Their poop is big because they wait to "go" when out of the cage, they try to keep it clean for the babies. When it gets close to hatching time I've read you can hear the baby bird peeping inside the shell, but my parent birds were practically glued to the eggs, we could not hear any noise. They also turned the eggs often, I guess that is so the chick doesn't have part of inside the egg sticking to it. In my case since I replace the eggs, the parents will sit on them about 21 days, then both of them ignore the eggs, and I remove the fakes one every other day. Then they won't lay again for quite a while.