• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you feel about your parrot's former home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzysmama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I have no kind feelings for the pet store that Jazzy came from. Mass breed birds for enormous prices. Place them in tiny acrylic cages with only a few inches to turn around, only give them one cheap perch, no toys and some junky seed diet. Then let kids and the public walk in the door and beat on their cages trying to get their attention. At least her trainer from the aviary fell in love with her and included a hand written note to go to who adopted her. I'm thankful someone cared about her and showed her love, outside of that, I can't say anything nice about the store. The workers would stick their hands in the cages with spray bottles squirting the cage and cleaning it with chemicals with the bird sitting right there and there was no way that it didn't get on the birds. I'm just as protective with Jazzy as I am with Breeze. It angers me that many can't see birds as a living being with a heart and feelings. They are MY babies now and mama will protect them at all costs.:D

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a lot of anger for the woman who had Olive just before I did. A bird flipper/breeder/"rescuer," she did a lot that made me angry, but at least she only had her for a couple days before I got her.

Her home before that threw her in a cage with a male pionus who was in a hormonal rage, so yes, more anger for those people. They just wanted to breed her and make a quick buck, but they had no idea what they were doing. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they were simply uneducated, because it would make me even angrier to think they knew something about birds and pulled that crap anyway. They had her less than 24 hours from what I understand.

Her home before that may have been decent, I really don't know. Supposedly she was a "man's bird," so at least she had some attention at some point in her life. I really don't know if Olive is so timid because of something these people did or just because she was not properly socialized. They rehomed her because she was laying eggs and they were in over their head, and I can't really fault them for that. I just wish they had chosen her new home with more care.

TwoTinyTrees

Avenue Veteran
It's so sad to read these stories. Our Hama was found and did not even seem to know what a toy was and was VERY scared of the water mister, makes me wonder sometimes if they tried spraying her with water when she did something bad?Our second bird Zuko was housed in a filthy cage with one toy. We took him to the vet because he looked green underneath his wing the old owner must have handled him very badly, he is terrified of hands still (working on it) and is currently on an anti inflammatory for his really bad bruising. I'm glad that they seem content now...
I am so happy that all these birds now have good and FOREVER homes.:heart:

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
Sage's former home was really good. Apart from being housed with three other Tiels in a too small cage.

I hope Thomas learns to accept he is now in safe hands.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Holiday, would you be able to elaborate what Liam and Patrick have in common when it comes to that *incompatibility similarity* that you mention in your post. I'm curious to know.:) thanks in advance.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Holiday, would you be able to elaborate what Liam and Patrick have in common when it comes to that *incompatibility similarity* that you mention in your post. I'm curious to know.:) thanks in advance.
Sure :) Neither one is hands-on and both have a tendency to lash out when they feel threatened. Neither were really socialized to live in a human household, although Patrick represents the more extreme case. As a parrot whose first identification is with other parrots, he doesn't have the same general orientation toward people as a hand-reared bird. I don't know how Liam was reared, but I do know a few things about his breeder, the main one being that he wouldn't answer my questions. I also know that Liam's former owners had similar issues with him as Patrick's. Both boys here do just fine without much human contact, but they're fond of me from a distance. Sweet boys, really, but not "pet" material. They don't "pet" worth a cent. ;)

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Peanut has no former home, unless you count her breeder. (Which was a nice lady who treated her birds very well, if anything I admire her and wish more breeders were like her.)

But for what it's worth, I'm none to fond of many of your birds' former homes either. :(
It's just amazing the amount of ignorance, disregard, and outright cruelty these birds have gone through. It breaks my heart and it's just horrible how common it is. Best wishes and kind thoughts to all the rehomed and rescued birds trying to open their hearts to kinder people and a better way of life.

It's probably very vindictive of me but I wonder if there is a place in the afterlife for those that are truly abusive; where they are given into the care of a being at least several times their own size who has minimal understanding of what a human needs to be happy and healthy, and zero patience for their new possession's human behaviors and failure to live up to whatever alien standards they've set for their new pet.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would be banned for my language if I told you what I REALLY feel.

I just know that Sashimi came from some pathetic home with brats who banged on his cage, which was probably too small. He does not like us or trust us. He bites every chance he gets. Once in 12 years he let me take his photo w/o getting angry. He wants no part of us, so we keep it minimal for his sake. We handle him to give meds and go to the vet. That's it, but it's alright with us.

Snuggles is quite nervous and he only allows petting with my nose. He does not like hands. He comes out on our hands to only sing to Sashimi, to get meds/ go to the vet, which is not voluntary. He has sat a little bit on DH in the past and has scrambled up my arm to the shoulder after meds and sits there a bit. He was given to a rescue because of a "lifesyle change." Exact words. In other words, the owners wanted to travel or were tired of having the responsibly. He is a sweet bird.

Wasabi, well, as recently stated, was abandoned by the last guy whose neck I could wring. Based on how W was when we first got him, he was not well cared for or valued at ALL. He's come around to accept us. I think he trusts us, but he is headstrong and stubborn. If he is not in the mood to socialize, ain't no changing his mind. Which is OK. Don't know how many owners he's had, but I have the feeling the owner wanted a talking bird/trophy bird. I am certain they had no clue how to raise a bird and made no effort to learn how. W was pretty well mannered again today!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nala's old home was actually her second that I know of. The story as it was told to me was that the family I got her from recived her as an unexpected gift for the sons and husband from a family member who knew they wanted a bigger bird then the finches I saw when I went to get her. She has no band and I don't know her true age or if she came from a private breeder,backyard or a mass petstore.

They told me that the family member got her and kept her for about a week,then passed her onto their household and though the boys and their father tried to love her,she hated their guts and would attack them all and only loved the mother who wanted nothing at all to do with her. I belive they only kept her about a month before they posted her for sale at the local vets office. I saw her picture by chance and it was love at first sight for both of us.

She came with a brand new HQ flight,a cage stuffed full of toys{none that she liked or played with though} and only 3 perches,1 dowel,one super slick Manzanita and one small grapevine. So they tried but werent prepared for a bird that needed more then their little cage of finches. Plus they kept her in the kitchen right next to their stovetop!

So while I'm not mad at them per say,I'm angry at the family member that thought it was ok to give a parrot to children as a suprise pet.

Last edited:

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
Poor Thomas :sad4: I'm glad he's in a good home now.

I believe Maggie's former home loved her a lot. She has no trust issues, flys around just fine and steps up or down every time she's asked. I believe she was well loved and well trained so she's one of the lucky ones.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's a good thing god never put me in charge of the thunderbolt gun because there would have been two previous owners who wouldn't have survived the storm.

JackDele

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Adele
I think the thing that frustrates me most about Jackie's prior homes is that they never taught him to eat healthy foods. Seems so simple but he is a stubborn little fella. So while he is with me now, I know his life will be shorter for the poor diet he was on and the unwillingness which continues. As a result, I'm trying my best to introduce littlie to lots of different foods now while she's still young enough to learn.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I think Charlie’s previous owner meant well, but it was quite upsetting to think that she went from having run of the whole house (before the lady had her toddler and newborn) to being outside for a few years and be completely ignored.

Keiko’s previous owner I can’t really comment on, all I know is that she had too many Quakers and so Keiko and a few of his brothers had to be re-homed.

Luna (RIP).. she was “dumped” at our landlords door step, no idea why, maybe they just didn’t want her anymore, I was highly peeved at owners at first, but I am glad she was dumped where she was, because our landlords wife is just as much as a bird lover as myself. And while we didn’t have Luna for long, she was an incredible girl, and I miss her so much, there is not a day that goes by that I don’t think about her. :heart:

Bubby’s previous owner was okay, the cage was too small for him, but he was out a fair bit, he had his own play stand, quite a lot of toys in his cage, and a bag full of toys to swap around every now and again, his diet wasn’t the best either.

Jack’s previous owner is a piece of crap who I wish I could do a lot of harm to. Enough said.

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Sure :) Neither one is hands-on and both have a tendency to lash out when they feel threatened. Neither were really socialized to live in a human household, although Patrick represents the more extreme case. As a parrot whose first identification is with other parrots, he doesn't have the same general orientation toward people as a hand-reared bird. I don't know how Liam was reared, but I do know a few things about his breeder, the main one being that he wouldn't answer my questions. I also know that Liam's former owners had similar issues with him as Patrick's. Both boys here do just fine without much human contact, but they're fond of me from a distance. Sweet boys, really, but not "pet" material. They don't "pet" worth a cent. ;)
Thanks so much HOliday. This is very insightful.:)

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
After reading all these posts I am feeling very grateful for my two rehomes' previous owners. Even though I'm Syd's 4th home and there is no doubt his first one was bad the other two homes worked hard to compensate for it. Even Giz who I always seem to make sound like a horror came from an owner who loved him very much and I'm thankful that he was able to do such a great job with him his first 9 years. My only complaint with him was that he told me Giz was a Greater Sulpher which technically a Triton is in that family but there's a whole lot of personality differences between an actual greater sulpher and a triton. Of course then I may have missed out on knowing this wonderful bird who is driving me and my family completely insane.

meaggiedear

Real Name
Meagan
I don't know anything about Grey because we found him walking down the street outside, but we suspect he was thrown out for behavior problems (doesn't like to be touched and lashes out easily) because after knocking on doors and posting "cockatiel found" signs. No one ever came forward. It's sad, but we are almost positive this is what happened.

As for the rest... I'm grateful for my birds' previous owner! (CrazyBirdLady)

The only complaint on Ama was not Jaime, but the woman who dumped Ama on Jaime. The woman shows up at Jaime's work and says, "Here. My cat brought this in and I don't know what to do with it." There were no marks on Ama at all that indicated a cat had him in his mouth and Ama was only about 5 weeks old at the time, clipped, and couldn't barely stand up on his own bc he was so clumsy so there was no way he could have gotten outside on his own. Jaime and I suspect she bought the bird and realized she was in over her head with handfeeding and made up a story to save face about it. Which is ridiculous. She should have just told the truth and Jaime would have understood. Never the less, she handfed the little baby and passed him off the me where he now spends him terrorizing the ladies. :lol:

I got Farrah and Willow from Jaime too. They are both well socialized and will eat anything and are really sweet. Couldn't have asked for sweeter birds. :heart:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I think Thomas may benefit from being left in his cage for awhile until he feels more relaxed in your home. There is no set schedule as to when he should want to step up, be on you, interact with you, etc. It could be weeks, months or years. But if he just gets to see the routine, sees that you bring fresh water, food and treats, he should relax. You can read to him to get him used to your voice while sitting quietly near, but not too close to, his cage. I did this for months with Darwin when he was recovering from a broken wing. I like to put their names in the story (I was reading from a parrot book so every time I came to "bird" or "parrot" I would say Quack or Darwin instead) which piques their interest.

Just because he is acting this way now does not mean he was the same with the previous owner. It can be traumatic to move homes and he doesn't know you so it is normal for him to be nervous.

Quack was chewing me up pretty badly when I got her. I assumed the previous owner just didn't tell me but I recently came across our original emails where I asked if she bit and he said he never got bit but she pecked at a couple of his friends. But I do think he didn't tell me the whole truth and when I visited her he did put her back in the cage fairly quickly and had his gf's golden retriever tied up in the family room which was odd. I asked him to send me info about her and he never did. He never inquired about her. He also would not allow me to pick her up on the weekend so that I would have time to get her settled in. Instead I had to rush over one evening after work and have my bf set up her cage while she waited in a small traveler. It was not ideal and I was not impressed with his level of concern. I don't think he abused her or neglected her and do believe he cared to some extent.

I visited Darwin several times before bringing him home. He was recovering from a broken wing and liked me right away, letting me scritch him and sat on my lap for hours. Once he came home he tried to fly several times and hurt his wing and was mad at me and sulked in his cage for 3 months. If I had just seen him like this without having visited him I would not have known that this was not his personality. Now he is the boisterous, curious, fly here, fly there, get into everything and have to be in the midst of everything kind of bird that he is. Which is also different from how he was when I first saw him. His previous home was a loving rescue (home) and he had a couple before that. The first loved him but the woman and her son have a disease which keeps them in the dark so they could not look after Darwin. Another home he was in let him have Coke and inadvertently taught him to belch, which is amusing but he shouldn't have had the pop. He is now obsessed with cans and bottles which can be annoying and has gotten me bit. Otherwise, I don't think it was a bad home.

Itsy also came from the same rescue where she was loved. Before that the owners did not seem to care and were going to put her in a bird auction. She is fairly easy going though, settled in easily. She is just nervous and jealous of the other birds, having been attacked by a Senegal.

Tiki came from a different rescue. They also cared about her but had a LOT of birds to care for, many with special needs. She had at least 2 homes before that where she was left in a basement laundry room (just great for a pionus with a sensitive respiratory system :rolleyes:). The 2nd had tried to rescue her but ended up being allergic and she ended up in the basement again and then the rescue. I was told she was in very bad shape when they got her. She has improved and is improving still. Personality-wise she couldn't be sweeter so at least she has not been damaged that way.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
After reading all these posts I am feeling very grateful for my two rehomes' previous owners. Even though I'm Syd's 4th home and there is no doubt his first one was bad the other two homes worked hard to compensate for it. Even Giz who I always seem to make sound like a horror came from an owner who loved him very much and I'm thankful that he was able to do such a great job with him his first 9 years. My only complaint with him was that he told me Giz was a Greater Sulpher which technically a Triton is in that family but there's a whole lot of personality differences between an actual greater sulpher and a triton. Of course then I may have missed out on knowing this wonderful bird who is driving me and my family completely insane.
In my experience from volunteering at the too sanctuary I go to, here in WA, there is absolutely no difference between a galerita and a triton(besides looks and wild habitat, the triton belonging to Indonesia and Galerita of Australia). Both are large, loud and demanding. Destructive too!:)

Your boy sounds amazing:D

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
I did not realize how bad Mugsey had it till the day I picked him up from his second home. I walked in and the daughter of Parront met me and brought me into meet Mugsey on his playstand. I asked her a bunch of questions one being what kind of diet was he on and how often was he handled or given attention she said he was handled all the time by the Brother but he went to collage and has not been back in a year. I could see she was eathly afrais of him and had no Idea how to handle him. The way she was told to get him to perch was to come from behind his feet and touch them I know sneeking up on a pio would be bad she tried and he wigged out so I calmed him down and got him to step up to stick. I then transfered him to finger on my finger he was docile and allowed me to pet him. Here is what kind of people had Mugsey they never handled him he slept in to small a cage I can he was hardly never interacted with him he was left on his playgym all day with crackers and a plastic chain toy. I think he was yelled at and maybe things thrown at him. I love this guy with my whole soul and know someday we will break that fear barrier and as of today for most of the day we have been doing step up no stick all day and he is eating nut treats from my hand and allowing ome scretchs. AND the Parronts did not say goodbye or shed a tear or want me to give them check ups...

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
This is Hank's history as I know it from the woman (Gail Anderson) who cared for him for two years at the Tropicana in Las Vegas.

Hank was bought by a couple at a wild caught auction in Vegas in 1977/8. Who knows how old he was at that time, but I would expect less than a year. They owned him for 6 years, but were afraid of him and never handled him. When they got a divorce, Hank was sold to the Tropicana.

He was a display bird (one of 6 or 8 that were on display at the same time) on perches behind the patio bar on a platform for 12 years. That was in the old days of smoking indoors and few, if any, filters. Julie Murad, heiress to 1/2 of the Trop and now Exec Dir of the Gabriel Foundation, was in charge of the bird's care for the first ten years. Gail Anderson was in charge of the birds for the last two years Hank was there. When I talked to her she said that the teenagers hired by the Trop before she was hired, beat, kicked and slapped Hank around, because he was aggressive and not trained. She worked with him for the final two years and managed to get him where he would step up and not try to tear your arm off.

Gail quit the Trop, in protest, when in 1996/7 management decided that the display birds were too old and not amusing enough and traded them all to "Cage World" (the absolute sewer of bird stores) in Phx. for younger birds. They had him about a year and he was the last of the Trop birds to sell - to me.

I bought him from Cage World at a bird show in Phx. It was love at first sight for me. It took him a few years, since he had no reason to trust any human. You know the rest of the story. Too many birds live live's like Hank did for the first 18 years of his life.

hank6-12 2nd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.