• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do we know if we have Multiple Bird Syndrome?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allessa

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
Try telling someone you have 10! Ive gotten some preeetty strange looks in my time :dancing::lol:

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
:huh:Hey, cat lady here. I have only 8 right now. At one time I had 23; fifteen years ago. I have lots of birds as well, so I guess I'm a bird lady too. ;) Hum. I guess that really makes me...crazy?:rofl:
:rofl:

I have 3 doggies and 7 birds...What does that make me?! :lol:

Zeb

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Zeb
I've had it for years.

Currently, I have 16...in two dedicated bird rooms.
( A greenwing, a B&G, a Scarlet, Eclectus, Blue Fronts, Yellow Nape, Umbrella, Lesser Sulphur, Goffins, Timneh, Nanday, Ringneck, Parrotlet, Caique, Lovebird...)

In Las Vegas, before I was a father, I had a big house to myself with 18 terrariums, 1500 gallons of aquarium ( big ones ) and 25 birds. ( Sadly, when I moved I had to rehome some of the birds. They were mostly aviary birds like lovebirds, cockatiels, australian grass keets, etc. Nothing that was a true "pet" to me. ) Can you tell I worked in the pet industry, and am a hobbyist?

The fun thing is, back then and now, that when people come to my house they do not know I have pets. There is my living space, and the pets living space. Of course, I'll bring a bird into the living room onto a play stand or something but you can't smell, or (usually) hear them. I'm a clean freak, too....

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:p I wouldn't be surprised if Rikkitikki ended up with MORE than one parrot.:p

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I currently have 2,and would like to always keep it at two or one. The only other parrots that I would love to have now are a Meyers and a Turq GCC.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hehe: and just look at what other weird quirks we all have besides birdies..:hehe:

CosmoKramer

Real Name
Zach
:p I wouldn't be surprised if Rikkitikki ended up with MORE than one parrot.:p
She IS having an aweful hard time deciding between a male or female Ekkie :p

I often will think over what birds I might have in my future, which ones I'd like to have, and how many I could handle...so yeah deffinatly MBS here!

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
I think it's more opinon. I personally think that 3 birds and I mean big birds...is better than say three dogs. I think three birds is a perfect number, past that MBS :p Just my opinion though :)

But three tends to be my perfect number... :lol:

ETA: I think a lot has to do with how you have your house set up too. If you only have two birds...and your house is really messy, I think it can make you look to the others more 'bird crazy' then it seems.

Last edited:

PeaceLoveDreamer

Real Name
Jacqui
Considering all of the animals I have had/have living in my home, the birds are just the icing on the cake lol. I think I just have multiple companion animal syndrome (MCAS) lol

ScurvyGoat

Moving in
Real Name
Lindsay
I get nods when I say I have 3 dogs. I get crazy looks when I say I have 4 birds. They're dialing the paddy wagon when they hear I have 6 ferrets. Anything beyond that I am a psychopath. xD

I also get really strange looks when people see my necklace that has a tiny bottle which I collect Reggie's tiiiiny orange feathers in. They turn to disgust when they see my other necklace with two of my ferret's baby teeth in it. All my ferret friends are amazed that I found them and think it's adorable I put them in the lil bottle.

So what am I?

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
I do, Im obsessed. I have three that are nuts. At times i feel like Im losing my mind especially when my two jack russels act up but I would not change a thing. So I have multiple bird syndrom.

komodeno

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nadejda or just Nadia
So I have only two and a dog but I include my two human kids in the count as they act like my naughty birds sometimes and is easy to put the dog in bed then 2 of them.
Here where I live is not common to have so many animals.One is consider to much as here people are mainly expatiates and they move jobs and country often so it is not easy to have animals.
I'm here 11 years and almost 2 years ago i get my first pet CAG followed my Macaw and 7 months ago we add the Dog. I'm still ok and consider myself and my kid lucky to be able to have this wonderful creatures with us!

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I think MBS is more like when someone gets several birds in a short time. At least that's always what I thought.
I don't think you have MBS Saemma. :p

Onyxena

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Morgan
ZEB, My set up is very similar to yours. My fully finished basement is set up just for the birds. People come into my home and are amazed at how clean it is, they know we are into ouranimals, so assume it is going to be loud and messy. It is always nice to hear how pleasantly surprised they are! My 3 German shepherds are not allowed on furniture either, and my cats have limited access to the upper level also. I know sounds horrible, but my hubby has some serious health issues right now and is on oxygen and simply cannot be around vey much animal dander. If we did not have the lower level set up, I could not kee all of them.

But, I put in full specs and turned the workshop space into a dayroom for the macaws plus freeflight aviary for most of my smaller birds. I have a little CC camera so I can check on them frequently. I got down several times a day and visit. I have a chair in the room so I can stay a while. Birds all love it and seem to be doing great so far. I also bring them up quite often to just hang out for a few hours. Cabo, our 9 month B&G still sleeps upstairs too. My husband is good with that, jsut the long term exposure to the mess and dander of their living space is more than his bady can handle at this time.

Anyway, MBS here to Isuppose. But I am always carefull to consider the quality of life for everyone when I want to add a new bird. Right now Iam only adding small aviary rype birds if anything. But I always have the little mental list of what might be fun to add *someday*. I am saving room for when I can get a hyacinth, so that keeps me in check most of the time! Seriously, if you want to control your MBS, give yourself permission to get something that seems unattainable and commit to saving room for it. Challenging yes, but it works. But my back up plan is to get a camelot if I cannot get the hy in the nest feew years:)

Last edited:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Seriously, if you want to control your MBS, give yourself permission to get something that seems unattainable and commit to saving room for it. Challenging yes, but it works. :)
Yes, that's good advice.

See, Morgan? You did not kill this thread :D :hug8:

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Oh yeah, I know I have it. I get lots of strange looks when I tell people I have parrots. It seems that having one parrot is unique and "cool". Dedicating an entire room to your multiple parrots? This makes you a nutter :lol:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It seems that having one parrot is unique and "cool". Dedicating an entire room to your multiple parrots? This makes you a nutter :lol:
LOL, it doesn't make you extra cool? :huh: :D

Wait, how about if you also have two chickens in your bathroom? :cool1:

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
I am used to it, I always had animals. People always gave me strange looks for having birds and 4 dogs, but i am happy:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.