• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I tell if Paco has stopped plucking?

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
When I adopted Paco his chest and legs have been plucked. This was the reason why the owner decided to find a new home for him. She works 7 days a week and does not have the time to give him the attention he needs.

I have had him for 10 days, I can tell she did not give him a lot of veggies, he was scared of the corn on the cob I gave him. He gets fresh veggies and fruit twice a day.

I have only seen 3 small feathers at the bottom of his cage, and one medium length feather. He is preening, eat well and I spend as much time with him as I can to establish a routine.

I do not see any pin feathers.

Is he still plucking?

harpersmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ania
When I adopted Paco his chest and legs have been plucked. This was the reason why the owner decided to find a new home for him. She works 7 days a week and does not have the time to give him the attention he needs.

I have had him for 10 days, I can tell she did not give him a lot of veggies, he was scared of the corn on the cob I gave him. He gets fresh veggies and fruit twice a day.

I have only seen 3 small feathers at the bottom of his cage, and one medium length feather. He is preening, eat well and I spend as much time with him as I can to establish a routine.

I do not see any pin feathers.

Is he still plucking?
If you don’t see any feathers, that’s good. Its most likely he isn’t still plucking. You should take him to get check ups at the vet if you are concerned in any way. :joyful:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I will take him in for a vet check when I get back to work. I have not seen any feathers. He likes baked potato, sweet potato, seems a little sketchy around greens but I offer them to him anyway.

He is now stepping up on my arm, and we are getting to know each other.

Thank you for your response!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
When will pin feathers show up?

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
oh so new feathers will not appear until he molts? Again thank you!