• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I teach my Nanday not to land on certain things?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syme

Sitting on the front steps
Our two year old Nanday conure loves landing on our flat screen tv and monitors. It's gotten to be where I can barely have her out of her cage because she'll fly over on them every few minutes, and chasing her off gets old extremely fast. When she gets on them she'll use the bathroom or start chewing on the bezel. I've tried using a firm voice telling her 'no', brushing her off, putting her in her cage every time she lands on them, but nothing works.

The only time she doesn't try and land on them when she's out is when she's getting cuddles, but as soon as she isn't or gets bored of cuddles, she's trying to hang out on the tv.

Any idea on what we can do? I hate keeping her locked up, but she cannot be destroying a $2000 t.v. :(

Last edited:

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Merlin ruined my tv, landed on it & bombs away. It just takes once. I have tried to keep him off of lamp shades, when I got him off & told him no, it made more determined to do it. I've tried the 'invisible bird' routine. When he's on them, I call for him & pretend I dont see him, when he flys off, I make a big deal out of finding him. Lots of praise, its not 100% & you have to be brave until he figures it out, but pretty effective.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
My guys hate the aviator harness I bought for them. If there is something I dont want them on and they wont leave it alone all I have to do is drape that over it and they stay away :dance5: Worked great when Tango decided he would leave the lamp shade alone. After having it on there for a few days he now never goes near it. Another member on here told me she just hangs a hand towel on things she wants hers to stay away from since they are afraid of the towels. It also works real well when I want to get something done with out 2 birdies hanging off my neck. I just wear it like a necklace :)

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
She flies there because it's more rewarding to her than being anywhere else - the challenge for you is to change that and make being elsewhere more rewarding. Treats and praise for being where you'd prefer she be, working out which toys she might find more rewarding, etc.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I built a wide ledge perch for over the flat screen tv in the birdroom. It covers the bezel and makes it impossible for the birds to bomb a poo into the back of the tv. Before I built the wood perch I tried sticky tape deterrents, spikey wire deterrents, constant chasing from the area and none worked well. Building the case to go around the tv worked very well and has solved the problem completely.

I have been considering mounting the tv on the wall, but it would just make protecting it more difficult. I have thought about using a wire support frame to hold a cloth protector above the tv to protect the bezel and the ventilation holes. The frame could be hooked into one or two of the vent holes on each side. Humm... Have to think about this some more. But taping a temporary cloth shield on the top of the fv would solve the problem intermittently and allow your birds to be out. Worth a try.

Come to think of it, it would be easy to mount a shelf on the wall above the mounted tv close enough to the top to eliminate the birds from perching there. A wide enough shelf would also protect the inside of the machine.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
She is getting a reward from you by chasing her. she is getting your attention. :) Do you have a playstand or a little play area you could set up for her?

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Get yourself some of those "no damage" tape strips, the ones that peel away from a wall without damaging the paint. Then measure the area you want to protect and have a piece of clear plexi glass cut to that size. Using the tape, tape the plexi to whatever you are trying to protect. Just need a thin piece of plexi to do the job. Odds are, she won't like landing on the flat, slippery surface, and if she does, at least it may catch the poops.

Just .. no wire spikes .. sorry Lois, but that sounds like a vet accident waiting to happen.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Before I built the wood perch I tried sticky tape deterrents, spikey wire deterrents, constant chasing from the area and none worked well. Building the case to go around the tv worked very well and has solved the problem completely.
I would strongly encourage anyone who reads this, not to try those methods out.
Obviously, it was mentioned that those methods didn't work, but the thought of the sticky tape and spikey wire to deter birds from being close to the TV scares me a little :(

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I quickly saw the risk to the bird and stopped using the sticky and spikey crap. The shelf works much better and is much safer.
The birds like chewing the edges of the sticky tape (very weak sticky tape) and played with the little spikes on the spike strip; didn't bother them at all to walk on the little spikes (which were not sharp). What can I say, I was stupid and learned better quickly enough that my birds did not get hurt. I was fortunate.

Status
Not open for further replies.