• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I soothe a hormonal male Amazon?

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Long story short spring is arriving and Bongo a Orange Wing Amazon is showing signs of spring fever. How do I help him alleviate his urges to nest and breed through spring? Any ideas please.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
No idea. Secret does weird things (rings her bells and tries to regurgitate for them) and is losing feathers like mad right now.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
No idea. Secret does weird things (rings her bells and tries to regurgitate for them) and is losing feathers like mad right now.
Bongo is starting to walk to our area rugs and pick up the brightest pieces of carpet from each area rug (though he can't physically do it) to make the prettiest nest he can for his non existent girlfriend. Not to mention the screaming ...

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Screaming? That's a symptom of hormones!!! Yay! Hubby told me Secret only does it when I'm in the room. I guess Secret does love me!

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Screaming? That's a symptom of hormones!!! Yay! Hubby told me Secret only does it when I'm in the room. I guess Secret does love me!
Oh you just piqued my interest. Bongo screams when I'm around too but when it is only my fiance and Bongo 1 on 1 you could hear a pin drop. Bongo doesn't make a peep unless of course Adam has food then he begs but every animal begs for human food. Soooo what does that behavior mean?? seeing as though Secret seems to do the same.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Bongo and Adam 1 on 1 Bongo is silent. Bongo and I 1 on 1 Bongo is silent. Bongo Adam and I all 3 of us Bongo gets super amped up. What is your take on the that clueless??

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Bongo and Adam 1 on 1 Bongo is silent. Bongo and I 1 on 1 Bongo is silent. Bongo Adam and I all 3 of us Bongo gets super amped up. What is your take on the that clueless??
You just explained my dynamic!

@melissasparrots what do you think?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Do NOT give him a box or let him crawl into dark, enclosed spaces, like in a cabinet or under a bed. Increase the frequency of his baths, shorten his photoperiod, and reduce the protein in his diet. Those should help. It wouldn't hurt to give him extra enrichment (toys, soft music) either. Good luck!

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Do NOT give him a box or let him crawl into dark, enclosed spaces, like in a cabinet or under a bed. Increase the frequency of his baths, shorten his photoperiod, and reduce the protein in his diet. Those should help. It wouldn't hurt to give him extra enrichment (toys, soft music) either. Good luck!
Great info! What is photoperiod?? Do you mean daylight?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The amount of light in a day.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
The amount of light in a day.
Can I ask how do I control light if he's in front of a window?? I'm not being smart. Just asking ideas

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Can I ask how do I control light if he's in front of a window?? I'm not being smart. Just asking ideas
So, it doesn't have curtains or blinds? Use thumbtacks or Command strips to hang something over the window when you want darkness. Wheel his cage somewhere else, if that's feasible. Have a sleeping cage in a different room where you can control the light and put him to bed there.