• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I gain my bird's trust

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
soooo... we've had Jewel for a while, and she was originally supposed to be my brother's bird, but he never gave her the time she needed to adjust to him. We have had Jewel since March of this year, and she's still very standoffish and doesn't let anyone pet her. Since my brother isn't giving her the time she needs I'm trying to get her to be comfortable with me, so does anyone have advice, I never had this problem with Dante or my other birds because they were mine, and unlike my brother, I spent time with them... but I'm not sure if it's too late to get jewel to be comfortable with me or not. Sorry if this doesn't make that much since all I'm asking is how do I gain my bird's trust.

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
oh one more thing, I think I'm making a little bit of progress, because sometimes she would fly on my and play inside my hair, but when I try to pet her, or put my fingers near her, she bites me

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
One does not pet a bird like a dog or cat but I know what you mean. It takes time for a bird to get used to human hands, especially if they were not hand fed. Be patient and have treats in your hands. Wait for her to come to you rather the other way round. Gaining trust of a bird is done on their time, not ours.

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Some birds (like Momo) are not very cuddly or fond of hands. Share your food, take them with you to shower and any other time let them out of the cage while you're doing your own stuff. They will come to you. And keep something nice with you (like a treat) so that you make visiting your head, shoulders or just hanging on your shirt, a positive experience. Just some things I did in the beginning. Now she is allways (as we say) all up in our business.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't think it's ever too late. Spend time with her, feed her some treats, talk to her etc. I think most birds just enjoy attention.

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
Thanks for the advice, I've been feeding her millet on my hand, and she's been biting not as hard as before, so we're making progress :)