• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do i clean a dirty white cockatiel?

Moving in
HELLOOOO I really need some advice and help with bathing my 5 month old cockatiel, Tequila... soo shes a lutino cockatiel and shes adorableee but also she gets really dirty really easily :( she somehow gets food on her feathers all the time, her tail is dirty, the feathers around her beak are overgrown but google tells me not to cut them but they look so off... and shes looking more musty and brown then pretty and yellow :<< I shower her with a spray bottle, but its not like that helps her get the food and the dirt off her,.. so id really love some advice!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The feathers around her beak are overgrown? I can’t even imagine that being a thing- will you share a pic of your bird please?
And seriously… please do not ever take to your birds feathers with scissors.

Your bird may like to bathe in a shallow decent size bowl on its own, may like to shower with you when you shower, may like to have a bath in the sink- there are so many ways they all prefer to clean up- I have one bird who would love me to spray him with a spray bottle till my hand seized up and another who will only choose to get wet in the rain, they really are individuals with their washing preferences so try to offer as many various ways for your bird to get wet as you can think of.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
the feathers around her beak are overgrown but google tells me not to cut them but they look so off
Do you have a photo?

As for the bathing, Shez gave good advice. Finding your birds prefered bathing method is important to know.

If the feathers are stained from foods, it may take a few washes to clean.
Severe stains may remain until the next moult. One of my birds is blood stained since january, he is mostly white so he has a dark area where the blood has stained his feathers and will remain until those get moulted out.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I have a white cockatoo, and she’s currently multi colored in a few spots. She had a bath and then walked against a few toys (blue/red/pink/green stained woods) and she is now stained.

Sometimes with white birds you just have to understand that it’s like a white shirt :roflmao:

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I would also like to see a photo please! :)

I don't have any advice other than what Shez and the others have said.- but you can also try 'herb bathing'.
Pretty much it's a shallow dish with water, and then a herb or leafy green placed over it. I use Dill but any bird safe herb works.
(I believe) It mimics them bathing on the dew on trees and works nicely for some birds!