• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How did your macaw "choose you"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

applejack

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lindsay
...or, if you are not their bonded person, how did they choose the individual they bonded to? I know that's sort of an open-ended question, because it's hard to ascribe motives to an animal; we can never really know. But as far as you can guess, can you find a reason or a whim regarding your macaw's choices for a bond-mate? Was it because you/their person was the primary caregiver? Or did they gravitate toward you/their person regardless of who was providing for them? What happens when you/their person is not available to them?

Thanks!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Elvis tried to choose my brother at first, flirted with him and tried to get him to stay with her, but he was only a visitor, and he is not a bird person anyway, so she sort of had to settle for me. I wooed her. I must have told her I loved her dozens of times before she finally acknowledged it, although she was always listening. After a few months, she finally came around. As a male-bonded macaw, it was a major change for her to switch her affections to me :)

With all my others, they seemed to bond to me naturally as their caretaker, although Max likes my father, and Zoe likes my mother.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I handraised Mera from 9 weeks of age. She is now 13 months old. She still loves me and definitely prefers me over any person. But she loves Opa a lot and acts like she has separation anxiety when I put him to bed before her(talk about temper tantrum:). We shall see as she gets older.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Birds are always instantly "in love" or, at the very least, infatuated, with my husband. People comment on it all the time. Almost every bird he's met, or that we've had, is at ease with him immediately. (all except the YNA we had for 14 years!!!)
Coco (GW) loved my husband the second she arrived.
However, we got extremely lucky with a macaw that is very well socialized, and likes lots of different people.
She is totally great with me, even if her "chosen one" is here. She interacts with both of us.
However, if given the choice - she would pick my husband:)

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
When Harley turned 3 I decided I wanted a buddy for her. There's a bird store in Sterling, VA that has a big variety so I went o check out different species particularly to see if they had a severe, or maybe even an illegers macaw. I had every intention of getting a bird from a breeder but needed to know which species I wanted to look for. I wanted something about the same size of Harley. I've never been able to resist the large macaws and toos so always have to say hello and visit when I'm someplace that has some. When I saw Gandalf something clicked between us. I can't explain it but there was something. The sales lady was right there and immediately gave him to me to hold. We sat for about 30 minutes with me just talking to him. He wouldn't let me touch him other than to stand on my wrist but seemed really happy to be with me. I went back 8 more Wednesdays to visit him, trying to save money, convince Frank to let me have him, and get things ready. The whole time I was begging the store not to sell him. Gandalf was already 16 months old when I met him and they had others that were a lot younger so it wasn't hard for them not to. The 9th week I didn't go on a Wednesday because I had started a job. The store told me on that Saturday when I went to pick him up that Gandalf had been really upset that I didn't come and had spent the next two days pouting. (of course, in all fairness they told me a few things that weren't true too.) It took 9 visits for me to be sure I could handle him and to come up with the money to bring him home. Each visit I felt more connected to him and I think he did me as well. That was 6 and a half years ago and he's still my beautiful boy. My favorite memory was showing him his new cage. They had him in a 40x30 cage after store hours with three 9 month old greenwings. They picked on him and forced him to stay at the bottom of the cage. When the store would open Gandalf spent the day on a playstand. When he came out of his carrier and I put him in his own cage there was no mistake how happy he was and he seemed to know it was all his. His expression and delight that day will stay with me always. I really believe he knew he was "home".

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think about this occasionally and really don't know why Mabel *chose* me.:shrug2: Couldn't she sense that that I didn't really like macaws? Didn't she get that I had no experience with them and that I only admired the big ones in an awestruck but only from a distance kind of way. I think she trusted that I would do her no harm. It's definitely a very unique experience as a parrot owner, when you have a macaw who *chooses* you. Their devotion to their chosen one is unwavering.

Last edited:

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine wasn't given a choice in the matter. She was the only egg that hatched out of several waiting lists I was on for a hyacinth. Then she came to me by way of delta airlines. I'm single so its me or nobody. LOL. She'll flirt with other people and even step up for them sometimes. Petting is a no no for anyone but me.
Melissa

Status
Not open for further replies.