• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How common are sole chicks in Budgies?

ShyEmbers

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jodie
The reason I ask is because I've ended up with an accidental clutch which was incubated on the ground at first I'd witness mating so I couldn't just throw them even if there was a slim thought life could be inside the shell--eventually I did move them to a box for her and she's continued to incubate. One egg got contaminated after a claw fell through it so it had to be thrown out unfortunately. So she's left with 4.

Three of which are infertile but one is fertile and growing well.

So my question is if it survives, how will it's life be? I've only had a lot of chicks in clutches. 4-7 chick in each clutch so I am sort of anxious and terrified all at once. It's also been 6 years since I last had chicks so I am just overthinking everything.

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
If I understand your question correctly -
If there is one chick then it would receive all care instead of competing with siblings so I think it would be absolutely fine. It would be easier on the parents right? Unless you plan on hand feeding?

ShyEmbers

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jodie
If I understand your question correctly -
If there is one chick then it would receive all care instead of competing with siblings so I think it would be absolutely fine. It would be easier on the parents right? Unless you plan on hand feeding?
No. No hand feeding unless it's necessary.
I did think it would be easier on the parents but I was concerned on how successful is their (the chicks) survival rate.
And also curious as to how often does it happen? Having a single chick in a clutch.

Thank you for your reply.

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
Well for both of your questions you would have to look deep into the situation, health of parents, weather conditions, parents sitting or not, being disturbed from nests or not, age and experience of parents etc. It's really hard to say (at least for me). I'm not the best person to say either. But I've had experience and I can say if the parents are distracted/disturbed by anything like music etc. It will take down the survival rate.

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Your one chick should be just fine, an it will be a lot easier on the parents as well.

Like any other animal (including us!) raising one young is a lot easier than trying to raise 7 of them.