• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How bad is this new game?

Caryatid

Meeting neighbors
Roger has discovered a fun new game called "Mom saves me." How to play:

1) Come out of cage. Start head bobbing toward cage because you want to go back in. Go back in and then immediately sit on the perch by the door and head bob because you want back out. Repeat.
2) Sit on Mom's hand and then fly to someplace else: bed, floor, bookcase, etc. Once you have reached your destination, turn and stare intently at Mom. Walk toward her and then start pacing back and forth until she saves you. Repeat.
Alternative to step 2: If Mom does not save you eventually, become frustrated and try to get back to her by flying. This won't work well, since your wings are clipped and you are often on a lower surface than where you started. You will either crash into the wall on your way back to Mom, or you won't get very far and then you will get very upset. (P.S. Mom is terrified of you hurting yourself by crashing into walls, so she will probably save you before you get to this point.)

More rules:
1) Ignore any toys or treats that Mom puts down next to you to try to make you stay where you are.
2) The back of Mom's chair does not apply to the game. It is safe and allows prime access to hair, which is super fun to chew on.

What terrible things or behaviors might I be teaching my lovebird if I go along with this game?

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know, but it sure does entertain me :lol:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think he is "testing" you, exploring, seeing what he can actually do on his own, and being a pain...basically normal for a young lovie. :) I have had to do the fetch games with mine, even as adults! I honestly think it entertains them in some cases. Turnip is 2 now and he still flies off to land on the floor and then wants me to run over and pick him up. (He was fully flighted, but he could NOT stop bothering the other birds and trying to bite their toes, so he got a bit of a trim recently.) He flew off last night and started craning at me. I told him I was NOT getting up to fetch him and instead leaned down from my seat on the couch and called him. He ran over and hopped up on my finger. :D

I guess you could institute a limit if it's driving you too crazy, like maybe show him once he wants to go in the cage, he's in for a bit before you will take him back out. But I think to some degree, you responding to him is strengthening your bond (he can rely on you and sees that you "answer" him), and he may grow out of doing it quite so much. Hehe, as the others said, his training of you is progressing well!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lol You are teaching him that he is the boss! LOL!
They learn this pretty quickly! They know they are adored by the humans and can get them to do all kinds of silly things for a little chirp or willingness to accept a head rub, lol!!

Wolf

Jogging around the block
Seems to be a fair enough trade, ie. , human tries to train bird while bird trains human.

Caryatid

Meeting neighbors
@fluffypoptarts He isn't quite driving me crazy yet. I do enjoy that he wants to explore but that he wants to know that I will be nearby and will save him when he has decided that he has had enough :rolleyes:.
Today we were in the living room, which is a room that he is less familiar with, and he flew from my shoulder where we were sitting on the couch to a chair on the other side of the room. I let him hang out for a while and then he eventually started running back to me, so I picked him up and then tried walking around the room and showing him around. He didn't honestly seem all that interested in what I was showing him, but he did sit with me for another half hour without flying away again, so maybe I satisfied his curiosity?
They know they are adored by the humans and can get them to do all kinds of silly things for a little chirp or willingness to accept a head rub, lol!!
I would do ANYTHING if he would let me give him a head rub! We aren't quite there yet :D.