• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How about this aviary?

allie136

Strolling the yard
Hi, I'm thinking of buying this bird aviary from someone who has made it themselves. I like the fact it has both 2 back pieces covered with wood and one on the left side, so it gives some protection from wind. The other aviary I have been looking at, doesn't have this feature and I'm not a DIY person so don't think I could add that to it.

What do you guys think of this one? (it will be for budgies who live in a cage inside but want them to have an aviary for warmer days to exercise etc)

And what type of inside area would you get for them to be places inside the aviary? a free standing bird house?

This is the other one I'm considering, it is well made but has no covered protection on the back or any sides, only on the roof.

Attachments

Last edited:

galah!

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pia
if your budgies only go out when it's warm for exercise, then the second wooden one, a shallow bird bath would be much appreciated and some gum branches with the bark still on would be awesome!:)

allie136

Strolling the yard
if your budgies only go out when it's warm for exercise, then the second wooden one, a shallow bird bath would be much appreciated and some gum branches with the bark still on would be awesome!:)
Thanks, I haven't given much thought to what to put inside it yet, just trying to decide on which one to get first. The aviaries I've found online often don't have any sheltered sides. Being in the UK shelter is needed more against the wind and rain. The 2 pictures have a roof which helps with rain but not wind. Would a tarp on the sides be enough to shelter from wind? Should it have a nesting box they can go inside to escape the wind/rain if they want to? I wonder if a chicken coop style of an inside build feature would be useful, but need to be higher up on a stand? :nervous:

My other concern is how to secure it down so it doesn't blow over in the wind. They don't look very heavy when we get strong winds here sometimes. It's going in a somewhat sheltered corner of the garden and on concrete so can't hammer a metal peg over it into the soil, so would maybe a heavy sandbag placed on the roof work to hold it down better?

Cazcooky

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carol
I think the idea of attaching via bolts down into the concrete like a normal shed would be safer.
Maybe look for a home handyman that could help.