• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How about a new section just for Doves and Pigeons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twitter09

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ron
How about a new section on Species Speedway specifically for Doves and Pigeons? Posts about doves and pigeons tend to go on Poultry and Softbills sections but doves and pigeons really are neither. They are a distinct family of birds and deserve their own area. The domesticated species really make great and easy pets - and they don't BITE !!! And they don't chew and do not need wing-clipping! Because they breed so readily, there are plenty around - both for sale and in rescue - a separate section would create more interest in them and help more of them find homes. While not generally as animated as parrots, doves do bond with their owners and can be trained to come when called. They are a nice alternative to parrots, for people who need a pet that is mellower and less intense but still affectionate.

Last edited:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your Doves are beautiful :heart: What's their names?

Twitter09

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ron
The white one is a female, named Tricksy. The brown one is a male, named Pecker. I also have Lefty (Pecker's son) and Stimpy (a very old female, close to 20 years old), not shown. The Diamond Dove I had for 15 years, from 1982 to 1997. His name was also Pecker because he used to peck at his reflection on the side of my toaster, when he was out of his cage.

Tricksy formerly belonged to a magician friend of mine. The 2 Peckers and Stimpy were purchased as young birds and Lefty was born in my sunroom. Pecker, the ringneck, was Lefty's father - his mother was another dove I don't have anymore - but Tricksy incubated and raised him - so she thinks she is his mother and vice-versa. A complicated family. I sold Pecker's mate (i.e. Lefty's mother) along with 6 of her and Pecker's babies so I could get Pecker to stop breeding! Lefty is named Lefty because I put the band on his left leg (instead of the usual right) by accident.

Last edited:

cdsal_99

Meeting neighbors
Ron,

That is an excellent idea. :idea2: I support it one-hundred-and-ten percent!

I've created an Avian Avenue group for Doves and Pigeons, but they also do really deserve their own forum/message board section as well. The more exposure we can give these species of birds to the general public, the more we can help educate that public about them. And not to mention the fact that we do have a good number of Avian Avenue members who have doves and/or pigeons as companion birds that can come and share their stories, experiences, and the like, in a section dedicated to them.

Sal

How about a new section on Species Speedway specifically for Doves and Pigeons? Posts about doves and pigeons tend to go on Poultry and Softbills sections but doves and pigeons really are neither. They are a distinct family of birds and deserve their own area. The domesticated species really make great and easy pets - and they don't BITE !!! And they don't chew and do not need wing-clipping! Because they breed so readily, there are plenty around - both for sale and in rescue - a separate section would create more interest in them and help more of them find homes. While not generally as animated as parrots, doves do bond with their owners and can be trained to come when called. They are a nice alternative to parrots, for people who need a pet that is mellower and less intense but still affectionate.

Chevelle

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessica
I agree :D. They make such wonderful pets...I never even considered doves as really a pet until I got to interacting with them. It was love at first sight with Moe, I couldn't not bring him home. So undemanding and kind of a breath of fresh air compared to some of the hookbills. I love my other birds but I really appreciate having one that I don't have to worry about taking a chunk out of my hand, or screaming or plucking. I was actually looking at Toucanets, and was put off by the price tag, before I "discovered" doves.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
for now, they are in Poultry Row - I will mention it upstairs :)

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
your birds are beautiful. are they free flighted. Do they go out and come back.

I have a dove, but he doesn't fly well due to wing injury when I found him. But I let him out when I'm in the yard. He can do a hop fly only but he hangs around the yard, doesnt' wander even though my yard is not fenced. And then once I go get the net and chase him around the table and time or two he will go back into his cage.

Twitter09

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ron
My doves are all fully flighted but I never let them fly outdoors. It's very risky with doves. Ringenck and White Doves (same species), while very domesticated like Pigeons, do not have the natural homing instinct of Pigeons. They tend to get lost quickly, where they become very easy prey for hawks, owls, and free-roaming cats. For white dove releases, at weddings and funerals, the professionals all use White Homing Pigeons which look similar (to the untrained eye) but know how to fly home to their loft. Releasing real White Doves is a death sentence. They just flutter around until they starve or more likely, something kills them. So be careful with your dove outside - he is easy prey for a hawk or cat.

I have an 18 X20 foot sun room and my doves fly freely in there. I have perches set up and they also like walking on the floor. They do return to their own cages when they are done or when it starts to get dark.

If we get our own Section on this Forum, I'd suggest calling it "Doves and Pigeons" rather than "Pigeons and Doves" since more people probably have doves as pets, in the sense that they have parrot species as pets.

Sal - As you know, I already joined your other Forum. It would be nice if somehow a Dove/Pigeon section on this Forum could be linked to that, so the messages could simultaneously appear in both web sites.

Last edited:

cdsal_99

Meeting neighbors
Ron, once again, thank you for having joined our DOVEBOOK Forums.

As for linking our Forums to a proposed Dove/Pigeon section on this Forum, that is something which would ultimately be decided by the owner and administrators of this Avian Avenue Forum. If they do decide on linking to us, I'd be willing to work with them in order to get that done. Although from a member perspective, I can see linking us as an advantage; from an administrator perspective, I am being very respectful of the wishes, decisions, and policies of Avian Avenue with regards to this matter.

By the way, I've been seeing all the pictures you've posted to this thread and I love the set-up you have for your doves. I believe another member on this forum had been asking members to provide pictures of their dove set-ups since she had a question on cages and the like for her dove. If you'd like to respond to that thread with this one (because of the pictures you've posted here), it is located at:

http://forums.avianavenue.com/poultry-row/46977-dove-care-cage-setup.html

Regards,

Sal

If we get our own Section on this Forum, I'd suggest calling it "Doves and Pigeons" rather than "Pigeons and Doves" since more people probably have doves as pets, in the sense that they have parrot species as pets.

Sal - As you know, I already joined your other Forum. It would be nice if somehow a Dove/Pigeon section on this Forum could be linked to that, so the messages could simultaneously appear in both web sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.