• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Houston, we have a problem

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
They make them. I had one in my previous home.
They don’t use them anywhere here in Canada.

The cost to run a (natural) gas furnace in January is between $100 and $200 a month depending on the size of the house. It would cost $1000+ per month to heat electrically.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I’ve never seen an electric furnace. The cost to run a unit like that would be astronomical.

Compared to the heating / a/c unit in my home I sold in 2002, YES, the electric ones are astronomical! My old home had a central HVAC unit but with a gas furnace... next home was total electric HVAC, and luckily it did not get that cold in South Texas, but boy when it did get cold, it was cold, damp, and miserable. That's when I took to wearing a stocking cap like my old uncle... may he rest in peace. I have to keep my home temp now fairly low, but it's nowhere near as damp as it was in my previous! And the home I have now is better insulated, thank goodness! @Clueless - how does your home compare now, to your old gas unit? Thanks JL!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
They don’t use them anywhere here in Canada.

The cost to run a (natural) gas furnace in January is between $100 and $200 a month depending on the size of the house. It would cost $1000+ per month to heat electrically.

With my old home sold in 2002, I had gas bills of around $75 to $80 in the winters, even if it got really cold (really cold in Texas is probably balmy for Canada!) So 100/200 sounds pretty good for today's prices.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I sold that home several years ago but it was fully electric. I had a wood stove with glass doors and a fan on the back that I used consistently. The furnace was a "back up" for when the stove burned out or I was just sick and didn't feel like making a fire.

I miss my wood heat.