• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hot finch

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
Hi, one of my zebra finches (a female) has started panting this week. Sometimes she also holds her wings slightly from her body. I very much doubt she is ill because she's active as always (flying around the cage) and eats as usual, but others don't seem to be doing this. I think I remember that she was also doing this during last year's summer, but it's not that hot here yet (25°C inside and 26°C outside currently at 12:43 PM). I change the water in her water bowl a few times a day but so far, she has only bathed once today. Should I mist her every now and then?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Bump

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I would leave a shallow pan of water for her. She can bathe and can cool off when she needs. If she has options to get to water she will likely self regulate well.

Something to know about zebra finches is that a larger bodied finch generally does better when it is cooler than a smaller bodied finch. Smaller bodied finches handle heat better. However finches are broadly better at cooling off on hot day when compared with cold weather. The cold can be lethal.