• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

hormonal female parrotlet

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
what to do? my female parrotlet is very hormonal. she screams a lot and is running around with puffed up feathers, beeing angry about everything and nothing.
i also have a male, they each have their own cage and have out of cage tim together.
sometimes they mate. she is so angry all the time. i just don't know what to do about her behavior. we even thought about bringing her to a breeder so she can follow her instincts. but we love her and don't want to miss her.

these are the things we have tried already:
- bigger cage
- small cage
- caged male and female together
- caged in their own cage
- cage in a busy part in the living room
-cage in a quiet corner in the living room
- 12 hours darkness and quiet
- no added proteins
- no warm/softfood
- no nesting place
-no huts or tents
- no contact with male bird (they can see each other
- let them have their way; she was on eggs 2 months ago and she seemed happy about it. eggs were infertile.
i don't intent to breed so i will replace with dummies if necesery.

nothing helps. it just seems as if she isn't happy, she has always been this way but also has her good and quiet moments. she can be very sweet but when she is this angry she will bite very hard! she want even step up and she throws the feeding bowls around. she is a terrorbird!

what can we do to make her happy and less agitated? they are out the cage every evening as long as possible.
but then they will eat/mate/argue and she will scream, even when she is out the cage with us.

i'm thinking about trying the next things:
- no more food in bowls, only in foraging toys to keep her busy and to let her believe there is a shortage of food; so no breedingbehavior.
- give her a supplemet to calm down
- give her a supplement to reduce the hormonal mood swings. (if these are hormonal) there is a natural supplement from raspberry i believe?

we just don't know what to do with her when she behaves like that, and she behaves like this 90% of the time when we are around. doesn't matter if she is in the cage or out with us.
we are going crazy from her screaming and beeing so angry, we want her to be happy and it hurts to see her like that.

maybe it is time to realise that we cannot give her what she needs....? can you guys give us any advice here?

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You might want to try increasing her hours of darkness even more. 10-12 is normal. If you bump up to 14 for 2 weeks it may trick her into thinking it's "winter" and the hormones may decrease.

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
i can try, but that means that i have to cover her at 5.30 pm when i come home from work. so there isn't time to take them out the cage.