• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hoping these are just old wives tales...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Hi all, I'm concerned about my cat, Miss Kitty. I don't know a whole lot about cats. Miss Kitty is the first cat I've ever had, wasn't allowed to have cats growing up and always wanted one. She's a 14 y/o domestic short hair. We got her when she was 8 weeks old (who can resist a box full of adorable kittens being given away at church, when you have 4 little girls wanting one, lol). Anyway, like I said, she's 14 years old, and an indoor/outdoor cat and the best kitty in the whole world. She's a great hunter, when outside, but has never bothered any of my birds, gets along with our dog and other animals.

Growing up I've heard many old wives about cats. Never gave them any thought until this past week, and I'm hoping that someone on here with knowledge of cats can tell me if this one is true or not. I'm really hoping it's not true, but if it is, better to know than not know.

Do cats really get more affectionate and loving, seeking out more attention than usual right before they die? Miss Kitty has always been a loving cat, but strictly on her own terms, more like a teenager who only comes around when they want something. She's never really been a cuddly cat, except at bedtime when she's tired. Lately she's not been acting like her usual standoffish self. She is constantly seeking us out, crawling up into our laps and sleeping or just wanting to be petted. She is even actively cuddling up next to our dog, often laying down by him and curling up next to him going to sleep next to him. I know she's older and slowing down a bit, sleeping more and more, but she's still eating well, drinking well, using the litter box like always. She had her yearly vet exam last May and will be going again this coming May. She's current on all vaccinations, has always been an extremely healthy cat. She has been pouting a bit because we won't let her out during bad weather, but she gets over it pretty quickly. Do you all think I should be concerned or do you just think all of this is a natural part of the aging process? I'm thinking about taking her to the vet, but what do I tell them? Dr MacDonald, I'm concerned about Miss Kitty because she's more loving? Wonder how often vets hear that, lol. Sorry for the long post. Any insights would be greatly appreciated and welcome.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Awww..I hope she has many more years. I have never heard that said about older cats, but it makes sense.

CKJ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
I have had cats since I could walk and volunteer at an animal organization that rescues stray & abandoned cats and dogs. I have six cats now ranging from 13 to 19 years old. I think cats tend to mellow more as they get older. But being more affectionate I don't think I would be alarmed. Since she's up to date on her shots, eating well, going to the box, I don't think I would be too concerned.

bellas momma

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maranda
I have heard of that and have seen it I have had cats all my life except for the past seven years. Only cause were I live there not allowed
When they get older some do get more cuddly and some do it more when there time is close but that doesnt mean that is the cause with your kitty. I have had a number of cats that when they got older they just got more cuddly but, lived a number of years after..

Flahmingo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara
I agree with everything already said here. My cats have always been indoor only. You are lucky to have an indoor/outdoor cat that has survived to the age of 14. I think the average lifespan for an outdoor cat is around 7 years. It might be time to make her indoor only.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
I agree with everything already said here. My cats have always been indoor only. You are lucky to have an indoor/outdoor cat that has survived to the age of 14. I think the average lifespan for an outdoor cat is around 7 years. It might be time to make her indoor only.
The reason an outdoor cat's lifespan is said to be 7 is because they get run over, or eaten, or get respiratory infections/pneumonia from sleeping in cold weather.
not because they are unhealthy.
If your cat is happy going outside I would let her go out still. She hasn't gotten hit by a car in 14 years it's most likely not going to happen now.
If anything she will stick closer to home with her age.
Now, animals do tend to wander off when it's their time, they don't want their owners to see them die, so one day she might not come back to you, that is something you need to decide whether it's ok for her to go off to die or you want to take her strictly inside so she can't do that.

Anyways, cats DO get more affectionate as they age. Mine did. He lived to be 18. It's typical for young cats to bite, and be standoffish actually.

A cat should live 15-22 years most of the time higher on the scale. You want to watch her weight if anything. A good healthy weight can add lots of time to an animals life.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
They say cats are more for the place than the people, but when they get old they need comfort and love more also.
Sounds as if Miss Kitty has had a very good life with you and she knows she is well looked after and trusts you to tend to her needs.
They can suffer with kidney failure when they get to a good age and really need the right diet to keep them going even longer. Your vet would help you with that one.
We had a ferrel kitten that took a few yrs to tame and get into the house. Mannie was black and I loved him to bits. He went back to his wild state when fighting but otherwise was a lovely cat. We had to have him put to sleep because his kidneys were failing and he started to suffer when he was about 17yrs old. I wrote a story about him and used to read it to the grandchildren when they stayed over for a sleepover. They always wanted to hear the story of Mannie at bedtime. Hope you have your miss Kitty for a long time to come.:hug8:

Flahmingo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara

The reason an outdoor cat's lifespan is said to be 7 is because they get run over, or eaten, or get respiratory infections/pneumonia from sleeping in cold weather.
If your cat is happy going outside I would let her go out still. She hasn't gotten hit by a car in 14 years it's most likely not going to happen now.
Now, animals do tend to wander off when it's their time, they don't want their owners to see them die, so one day she might not come back to you, that is something you need to decide whether it's ok for her to go off to die or you want to take her strictly inside so she can't do that.

Anyways, cats DO get more affectionate as they age. Mine did. He lived to be 18. It's typical for young cats to bite, and be standoffish actually.

A cat should live 15-22 years most of the time higher on the scale. You want to watch her weight if anything. A good healthy weight can add lots of time to an animals life.
You are correct, and these dangers don't change just because a cat gets older.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think she is just seeking out the comfort of your company. 14yrs is old but my mothers cats lived to be 21 and 22 yrs old. And they did not seek out human contact when they died. They quietly passed in their sleep. Both had well checks months before.
If you are concerned you could take her to the vet sooner then her May appointment and just tell the vet she is slowing down. He will probably order some bloodwork to make sure everything is in working order.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Miss Kitty was always supposed to be an indoor kitty only, and for the first 5 years she was. Then one day a door was left partially open and out she went. From that moment on it seemed like she was doing everything in her power to get outside. She'd hide and just wait for an opportunity, and dang she is fast when she wants to be. She did get into a fight with another cat once and got bit. The bite became infected and we had to make sure she stayed inside for the infection to heal and so she could get her antibiotics as prescribed. That was a miserable 2 weeks for everyone. She howled, she clawed at windows and doors, stopped using the litter box and she'd purposely climb and knock things off shelves to show her displeasure. She knows how to play each member of our family. After her two week 'sentence' was up, we were scrambling to let her out of the house. From that moment on she has been the happiest kitty ever, though she does revert back to those tactics when she doesn't get what she wants, lol.

Thanks everyone, for your input. The whole wives tale crossed my mind a few times the past week, but wasn't something I'd voice out loud (I can be superstitious, lol) and then out of the blue my husband was giving her some loving, looked at me and voiced what I had been thinking. Once it was said out loud, and by someone who can just as happily live without pets, I couldn't stop thinking about it. Hopefully she'll be around for many, many more years. I can't imagine her not being here.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
No you cannot imagine her not being with you, but you would never have passed up on the years of pleasure you have already had with her would you? Trouble with us loving our pets there is always the down side to having them.

Flahmingo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara
Animals are like children, they don't always know what's best for them. Just as with our birds, it is up to us to take care of them as best we can to insure that they have a long and healthy life.

I understand that it can be hard to break a cat from yearning to be in the great outdoors. Like wild birds and puppies and all creatures that we bring into our homes, it requires patience and persistence and commitment to keep them safe.:)

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Awe she sounds like a sweety...I am no cat expert. I had one cat Kitty who was indoor only. She was always very affectionate and sweet...like a little kitten all her life. SHe slowed down and lost weight when she was 19....found out she had stomach cancer...after diagnosis, she lived two more months with us until we finally had to make that decision. During those two months she was still sweet as can be and wanted to cuddle near me or my son on our beds...but as it got closer to that time, she pushed herself further away from us...it was then that we knew...

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I have actually heard that when animal's get ready to die what they do is they stop eating and some like to go off by themselves, now I don't know if this is a wives tale too or not, but I don't think being more affectionate means anything bad.

CKJ

Real Name
Cindy
I agree - your cat probably won't be hit by a car and most likely she'll be indoors when the weather is bad. So you will probably won't have to worry about either one of those & she'll live to be very old. 14 isn't really that old. But you also have to consider that when a cat goes outdoors, it only takes one interaction with another cat to catch FIV, FIP, or FeLV. You would be surprised to know how many cats are roaming around with these diseases - they look healthy. Are you willing to take that chance?

TikiBird is correct in saying that the older they get, they don't tend to roam too far from home. If they get sick or hurt, they have a tendency to go off & die by themselves.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Awwww, Brigid, try not to worry so much. We will all cross that bridge when we get there. I would just enjoy her being affectionate and douse her with love. :heart:

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Cats can be a lot like birds in some senses- they hide pain and illness very well. It might just be a normal change as she ages and mellows that she's seeking people out more or she might be feeling off. I'm a worrywart about my pets and would probably take her in for a quick checkup for my peace of mind if she were my cat. I don't think there's anything wrong with just keeping an eye on her at home though... I just know that I would worry myself sick if I tried that.

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
My love of my life kitty, Reno, was 20 when he passed away 2 years ago. Domestic indoor cats can live a long life. Kidney issues and liver disease are well known problems for the indoor cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.