• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hope he gets better

Asherjon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jon Oates
Had to take in my poor Mr. Bingley in to the avian vet today. He started to lose too many feathers on his head at one time. They did a skin scrap but found no mites. They gave him meds for the mites and told me to get vitamins for him. She told me which one to get (Harrison’s sunshine factor) the only problem is that it’s made with palm oil. Is there anything you guys have used that has helps give vitamins to your birds?

Attachments

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
@finchly will know the US vitamins for canaries. Im in the UK.
I treat my canaries once a month for mites. A good diet of mixed seeds and fresh dark greens daily plus additional alternatives are also a benefit nutritional wise.

Asherjon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jon Oates
Thank you that helps. I will start spraying once a month for mites. I never thought about that.

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
I think im right in saying the best US mite treatment for canaries is SKAT..its a spot io treatment. I use a mite treatment that goes in their water. They both have their benefits.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope he gets better soon.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
For mites: SCATT , 1 drop on the thigh or back of neck or anywhere you can get to the bare skin. You want it on the skin not just feathers. You absolutely must treat again, 21 days after the first treatment. Thereafter, if you aren't bringing in new birds you can drop back to a treatment every 3 months.

For baldness with no mites: Vitamins, particularly D3, B's, Calcium. I am using Nekton-S at the moment but any good multivitamin will do. If you feed pellets, adjust your vitamins (since pellets are already fortified). If you can get him outside in some sunlight for 15 minutes a day that might cause the feathers to grow back. Only do this if the weather is suitable. Another way to boost vitamins and particularly calcium is to boil an egg, mash it up shell and all, and let him eat it once a week. (do you only have one bird? A whole egg is way too much for just one!)

Also, on occasion there is a skin infection kind of like staph, which leads to baldness. In case of this, consider diluting some betadine wash and dab on his head., then rinse off. If this works you'll see feathers within about 2 weeks.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that Mr. Bingley is not feeling well. Hope he is getting better.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Asherjon what did you decide to do?

And, just curious, why don't you want to supply palm oil? It is good for their skin and immune system. if there's something I'm missing please educate me. :)

Asherjon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jon Oates
@finchly as an agricultural animal science major I have learned what the palm oil industry has done to many rain forests. Established farms say the source responsibily but in reality they don’t. To many animals have been harmed to make palm oil just to help us and animals.

Asherjon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jon Oates
Give him vitamins that I usually give my red factor and giving him a healthy diet has helped his feathers grow back. He has fallen in love with eating boiled eggs.