• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Homeopathic remedies for hormonal birds

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
Is there a natural remedy that can stop a bird from laying eggs. I've heard that melatonin can help but not sure if I want to give that to my bird. My cockatiel has been an egg layers for almost a year now. She's currently molting which makes it even worse. She's so determined that she will lay eggs no matter what environment she is in. I thought getting her a bigger cage would help but nope she's still in nesting mode. I get rid of toys that can "cause" her to be hormonal. I have used dummy eggs on and off in my experience, they don't help much. Dummy eggs may help some birds but not mine. I would put about 6-8 dummy eggs and she would still lay. Sometimes, she would abandon some eggs and keep some. I've tried reducing the amount of light she gets but even that didn't work. I got her some new toys hoping she would get rid of boredom. The toys have been inside her cage for a few weeks now but she doesn't want to play with them. She's not much of a toy person, to begin with. I feed her less seeds and more pellets so she gets a signal that there's not enough fat. I feel like nothing's working. I don't want her to be egg bound :( I'm going to get liquid calcium soon. But I just want her to stop laying eggs. I think lupron is my last resort unless there's a homeopathic remedy out there that can work.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Implants worked for Emily. Every four months

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I tried "everything" also for my tiel. I finally took her to the vet for a Lupron injection last year in May...it stopped her for 3 months. She laid again in August and not again until just this month. I know - so frustrating.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
I tried "everything" also for my tiel. I finally took her to the vet for a Lupron injection last year in May...it stopped her for 3 months. She laid again in August and not again until just this month. I know - so frustrating.
I've heard that it's fine if they lay eggs as long as they take break for 3-4 months. I'm sorry that your bird is still laying eggs. It sucks that a medication like Lupron that's supposed to be the last resort stops working. Maybe your thinks it's spring again. I know they like to lay eggs when the weather starts to get warmer. I want to make an online consultation with Dr Ross Perry. Maybe he could give me some homeopathic advice

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you tried 72 hours of light? That's been very effective for my tiels.

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I've heard that it's fine if they lay eggs as long as they take break for 3-4 months. I'm sorry that your bird is still laying eggs. It sucks that a medication like Lupron that's supposed to be the last resort stops working. Maybe your thinks it's spring again. I know they like to lay eggs when the weather starts to get warmer. I want to make an online consultation with Dr Ross Perry. Maybe he could give me some homeopathic advice
My tiel only had one injection of Lupron...vet told me that should stop her for at least one month. If her egg-laying continued to be chronic - he suggested one every month. But like you, I would prefer something more natural.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

Do the birds get any sleep when in the light for this long?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Do the birds get any sleep when in the light for this long?

Well they may sleep some but not in the dark. The idea is to kick the circadian clock and hopefully do a reset.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
Are they chronic egg players like my bird? My tiel has been laying eggs almost every other non stop since november

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are they chronic egg players like my bird? My tiel has been laying eggs almost every other non stop since november
Well they haven't had a chance to be, because every time they start laying, I do this and they stop. I can't promise it will help your bird, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Bumping this...can you explain this a little? What type of light, how bright? I have a tiel that is laying a lot - used Lupron before but would like to try this before going back to Lupron. Would this help a hormonal male also? Thanks.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Bumping this...can you explain this a little? What type of light, how bright? I have a tiel that is laying a lot - used Lupron before but would like to try this before going back to Lupron. Would this help a hormonal male also? Thanks.
Whatever their daytime conditions are now. It does not always work but in the case of a laying female it's a non invasive way of trying to stop the eggs. Hormonal males.... well i don't see the need.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
Whatever their daytime conditions are now. It does not always work but in the case of a laying female it's a non invasive way of trying to stop the eggs. Hormonal males.... well i don't see the need.
Not sure if this would work for my tiel as she's constantly laying eggs. Dummy eggs help but only for a week and then she starts laying eggs again.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I wish people would stop treating hormonal birds as if they have a disease! They are doing what nature intended. Allow them to do it, give them a healthy diet and daily light exercise and allow their body to readjust themselves.

My Tracie Tiel laid 17 eggs in a row over a two week period. I was new to Parrot husbandry and I freaked.Luckily I found into a holisticlly based certified avian vet. Dr Stern said "wait!" Feed healthy , fly daily, allow her to keep every egg and feed into her brooch behavior. For three weeks Tracie sat on, played with and even added four more eggs to the clutch!

Suddenly, one morning, she was off the eggs, joining me for breakfast like she used to do. Dr Stern said don't touch the eggs leave them in the bottom of the cage. Which was where they stayed for did more months. Tracie would play with them now and then for a few minutes, then go back to ignoring them.

The next breeding season, she laid four eggs, played with them for three weeks and then ignored them. I left them in her cage for a month, then discarded them. For the sixteen years of the rest of Gracie's life, she laid an appropriate number of eggs. Once she got a mate, she and Chip produced 13 chicks over five years. I instituted birth control by throwing out fertile eggs and allowing them to brood the infertile ones. Works great. Following Dr Sterns holistic methods, I had no trouble converting excessive layers to normal hormonal balance and behaviors. Once you use a drug and confuse the hens body...it is hopeless.

Last edited:

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
I wish people would stop treating hormonal birds as if they have a disease! They are doing what nature intended. Allow them to do it, give them a healthy diet and daily light exercise and allow their body to readjust themselves.

My Tracie Tiel laid 17 eggs in a row over a two week period. I was new to Parrot husbandry and I freaked.Luckily I found into a holisticlly based certified avian vet. Dr Stern said "wait!" Feed healthy , fly daily, allow her to keep every egg and feed into her brooch behavior. For three weeks Tracie sat on, played with and even added four more eggs to the clutch!

Suddenly, one morning, she was off the eggs, joining me for breakfast like she used to do. Dr Stern said don't touch the eggs leave them in the bottom of the cage. Which was where they stayed for did more months. Tracie would play with them now and then for a few minutes, then go back to ignoring them.

The next breeding season, she laid four eggs, played with them for three weeks and then ignored them. I left them in her cage for a month, then discarded them. For the sixteen years of the rest of Gracie's life, she laid an appropriate number of eggs. Once she got a mate, she and Chip produced 13 chicks over five years. I instituted birth control by throwing out fertile eggs and allowing them to brood the infertile ones. Works great. Following Dr Sterns holistic methods, I had no trouble converting excessive layers to normal hormonal balance and behaviors. Once you use a drug and confuse the hens body...it is hopeless.
Is there a website for the holistic method by dr. Sterns? I wouldn't have a problem if my tiel only laid a couple of clutch of eggs every year. But she lays one every other day and thr longest break she's had is a week. I just keep the dummy eggs inside. She has 4 real eggs and 5 or 6 dummy eggs. She sat on them for more than a week and then when I finally thought she gave up is when she started being hormonal again. So I put them back in her cage. My problem with this is that she she gets constipated easily because she's sitting on eggs 24/7 and only comes out to eat and drink water. She's currently molting so I want her to stop laying and hope she gets a break. Btw, she doesn't have a mate. So she lays infertile eggs. I do have another cockatiel but he's only 4 months old. And we think he's going to be a male.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
Is there a website for the holistic method by dr. Sterns? I wouldn't have a problem if my tiel only laid a couple of clutch of eggs every year. But she lays one every other day and thr longest break she's had is a week. I just keep the dummy eggs inside. She has 4 real eggs and 5 or 6 dummy eggs. She sat on them for more than a week and then when I finally thought she gave up is when she started being hormonal again. So I put them back in her cage. My problem with this is that she she gets constipated easily because she's sitting on eggs 24/7 and only comes out to eat and drink water. She's currently molting so I want her to stop laying and hope she gets a break. Btw, she doesn't have a mate. So she lays infertile eggs. I do have another cockatiel but he's only 4 months old. And we think he's going to be a male.
How long did you keep the eggs inside. I took them out when she lost interest but a few days later, she was in the heat and showed nesting behavior. So I just put them back inside her cage. There are currently 9 to 10 eggs. Should I keep more?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Gracie's eggs were in the cage for a total of seven months. She rejected fake eggs completely. So I left every infertile egg she laid. The hen's name was Gracie, not Tracie. The tablet I originally posted from changes words arbitrary. Cheap pad...

No website for Dr Stern. Every rule she gave me for managing excessive layers was in response to a panicked phone call from me. Basically it is good nutrition, daily flight exercises and leave every egg produced in the cage with the bird until she ignores them for at least three months or until she starts produces the next year's clutch.

Providing Gracie with a mate helped change her focus from producing eggs to having sex with her mate. After she produced the first two eggs, the cock bird, Chip, moved the emphasis to brooding. He really gave her a different thing to focus about. I couldn't help but compare her relationship with Chip to our teenage daughter's with her boyfriend.

Not something I considered before, the influence of the cock bird on the hen.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Dr Stern practices in Camp Hill, PA. She is in the phone book under Healing Creatures Animal Hospital. Wise young lady and very patient. Very dedicated to holistic medicine. Sometimes I prefer vet science for treatment options and she does what I prefer. Fantastic knowledge of herbal and nutrition medicine.

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
Birds instinctually respond to specific environmental cues that may stimulate reproductive activity like nesting and egg laying. Some or all of the following environmental signals may contribute to mating and egglaying:

Long day length - reduce daylight by providing a strict 10 hours of daylight and longer sleeping periods.

The presence of a mate - reduce or eliminate exposure to the mate (real or perceived). A perceived mate could be: another bird housed in the same cage, (or person) in the same room or within hearing distance. A perceived mate could possibly be an inanimate object like a favorite toy or mirror.

Avoid interacting with the bird that may stimulate reproductive activities such as rubbing the back, under the wings, around the vent, or the neck.

Warm temperatures - reduce the temperature if possible.

Rain - stop spraying or allowing baths.

Abundant food supply - reduce the quantity of available food.

Remove nesting material such as shredded paper and any dark hallow cavities like a coconut shell/husk with an opening that the bird may perceive as a nest box.

Some other things you can do....

If your bird is laying eggs or has laid eggs already... Allow eggs to remain in the cage for at least a couple weeks (can be replaced with fakes.)

Switch cage location. This change may distract or stress the bird out of its nesting or breeding behavior, particularly if it no longer feels safe. Moving a cage to the center of a room can sometimes do the trick.

Offer calcium-rich foods such as boiled egg with the shell and dark, leafy greens, reduce seed intake and improve nutrition by converting your bird to a healthy diet that includes a formulated pellet.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please explain how rain or spray bath can stimulate hormone production in birds. Thanks