• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Holistic diet?

Do you feed a holistic like diet?

• Yes, I feed holistic.

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • No, I go the traditional ruite

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • I feed about 50/50 fresh to pellets/seeds.

Votes: 14 43.8%

• Total voters

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Since 1994 I have fed a diet that is predominately seed. The pix's below show some other goodies that the tiels love, in addition to various greens ... I have never had any health issues due to a seed diet.
Lets pray you do not. However since cockatiles are from a dersert area and eat mainly seed (but both sprouted and dry and huge variety) in the wild, I can see how they do "ok" on it in captivity. However I also see that your brids looks to have a good/fair amount of flight space to burn off fat and energy.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Lets pray you do not.
--------------------------------------------
I know my birds well enough that what they have been eating all these years has not lead to any heath problems. I am up to 7 generations with one family...same diet. My vet has done home flock visits and he is what I call a 'pellet pusher' and he was amazed at the cockatiels, considering the horrors parrotted and passed along in regards to seed.

As to tiels, it is not only space, but access to sunlight that can elimnate problems such as liver, female reproductive problems, and plucking.

Hay Kay

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
so which chart would you use for Conures? And while were on the topic how or where can you find all about what they would eat in nature? i can find that info for greys.. and a few other specices but not my guys..

girltropical

Moving in
And here's the one for budgies and cockatiels (and other grass parakeets).
hi alison. this is what my little girl looked like when she was a baby. pretty similar now but with flight wings. she is free at home to fly around. unless i am out. she is a very happy girl, 16 yrs old, eats like your pyramid, but is getting a bit squaky the past year. she is sassy, loveing, sleeps with me for pat 16 yrs, under my chin wrapped around my throat. she is very bonded with me. she discovered my cancer (UT) and saved my life. she is a working bird, used to work with me in my therapy office. she is amazing. but now getting way way too noisy.
i read about the chammomile. i made a tea, weak to start as she did not instantly like it. when i diluted it more she drank. and it did calm her down some. i need to stop the squawking. it is getting to be a real problem now. suggestion? another herb that works even better? aloe drops? help!

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Just wanted to make it clear that I didn't make these pyramids. They came from holisticbird.com. :)
Screaming is a natural behavior that you can't stop completely. Is she alone when she is screaming? Perhaps she is contact calling. Have you brought her to a vet? If this is out of character for her perhaps she is sick or uncomfortable.

girltropical

Moving in
hi. so i live in south florida, hibiscus everywhere. but how in the world do i find one that was never sprayed with poison? any ideas?
i supposed i will need to grow one from a cutting? that will take a long time.
thanks.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
You can get hibiscus seeds and sprout/plant them yourself. You can even grow them in a pot and use organic soil to be extra sure that they don't have any pesticides.

girltropical

Moving in
hi mercedes.
so what is the horror about seeds?
my baby is 16, never ever had any health issues, she eats safflower seeds and oats and groats. no sunflower seeds ever. daily, egg with me, cheese with the egg, 6 grain wheat bread, fresh veggies and fruits(grapes, clementines, apples,bananas, zuccini, almonds, raw pasts, does not care for sprouts or lettuce. i eat organic and she does too. whatever i cook, she waits for the plate to pick her choices, she eats chicken and whatever else is for OUR meal, likes green tea, i am trying to get her to like chamomile to stop the yelling at times, she loves cooked beans, cuke seeds, and just anything else. she knows avocado, which i eat every day, is caca. and she will just go find something else on the plate to eat. same with chocolate. and i do not like kiwi, but she will fight me for the ice cream :o:sometimes treat. she likes almond milk too. she always wanted dairy and never had any problem with it.
any ideas on a calming herb besides the chamomile?
my baby is free and has her flight feathers, gets plenty of exercise flying around my house,poops in her cage or the sink). good girl. she is fun and loving, and very very bonded with me. she has slept with me for 16 years. under my chin, wrapped around my neck or on my heart. a real healing fairy.
i love he so very much. :heart:

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Seeds are healthy in moderation fed along with lots of fresh veggies. They are especially healthy when sprouted.

girltropical

Moving in
thanks all.
my baby is a sunday conure. 16 and acts like a kid. she is screaming a bit sometimes when i am out. i think neighbors are walking to close to my yard and she thinks it might be me coming home. but it also seems like nesting season she is more active, and verbal, restless, shredding tissues , down my shirt mind you. she laid two eggs at 10 years old, after i had a hysterectomy, she had to do her role as alpha female of this little flock!! lol cute huh?
yes she has been to a vet. she is fine, not sick, not in pain, just feisty and more verbal lately. sometimes yes she is calling me if i leave the room. i have to call back and tell her to come to me and then she does. i know they call each other in the wild to stay connected and since i am her world, she calls me. she is quiet when i am out except as i said, sometimes reacting to someone near the house. but i think she is and always has been a bit hyper and i want to calm that down a bit. so still, any suggestions on what to use herbwise?
she plays so much and is always so busy and she is a lot of fun. i am never lonely with her to entertain me.
and she always wants kisses and cuddles. i did spoil her but why not. she brings me such joy.

Nevermores Mum

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kacie
I am so happy to see so many people following a more holistic diet for their birds!!!! You guys are awsome parronts! For more info on the benefits google Alicia McWaters. She wrote many articles and books on the subject. Some of which REALLY shook up the avian pellet production companies. Her article "Why Food is Better than Pellets" angered alot of companies AND owners but she was only being brutally honest. As a Doctor she felt obligated to get the truth out there. My personal opinion is that NO COMPANY can manufacture some preserved, compacted, crunchy nugget that is healthier than the diet nature intended. I do offer high quality pellets a few times a week, but my birds eat mostly what they were INTENDED to eat in the wild. My mom has always fed her Amazon a holistic diet and Sinbad is 43 years old and NEVER been sick. If that doesnt speak volumes in favor of holistic diet, well, I dont know what does!