• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hibiscus Syriacus (Rose of Sharon), safe or unsafe?

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
Today I went on a nice little trip to Bunnings to find a new flower friend to bring home. I had done a bit of research to find what flowers would and would not be an option.

I went to a few websites that all stated that hibiscus flowers were safe, and they're also very beautiful, so I went out to find one!

Turns out, they didn't have any 'normal' hibiscus, only syriacus. I bought that, but I'm just wondering after doing some more specific research on it, is it really safe? Some sites have said it is, others have said it's toxic to dogs/cat/horses. What do you guys think? If it's unsafe, I'm not sure what to do so I really hope it is. It would be a lovely addition to my bedroom!

My intent is not to have the birds play with/eat it, but knowing good ol Red, she'll have a nibble... or two... or seven. Or maybe she'll eat any and all the flowers

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Hibiscus is definitely safe. Hibiscus Syriacus or rose of sharon I believe is safe too. It does get confusing at times because lists sometimes only have the common name or not all of the varieties. I did come across this this thread What plants are good for aviary??? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

So while I think you're good, I'd like others to weigh in :)