• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi there! In need of help.

emmynk

Moving in
So this probably isn't the forum to post this in. But does anyone know anything about owls? There's this barn owl at the wildlife rescue I volunteer at and it has a wing deformity, so it cannot be released. They're looking for someone to give it to and if worst comes to worse I would get the proper permits to adopt it. Because they will euthanize it. Does anyone keep owls?

emmynk

Moving in
Thank you! I know they really aren't the best pets but it saddens me to think this amazing creature would be put down.. thank you!

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
Is there a zoo neaby that may able to take him in?

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
:hello1: Hoping you can find a solution

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. Is there a wildlife sanctuary near you. What state are you in. This will let us know what areas to help you search. Good luck.

sonja

Jogging around the block
Yes please let us know where you are located.

emmynk

Moving in
Hi! I am located in king county washington. I'm going to call around but the intern and vet at the rescue say because of his deformity the zoos will not take him, because he is not a good specimen. He cannot fly. I was thinking prosthesis... anyways. I just hope I can find a home before time runs out. The only thing wrong with him is a deformity of the wings causing them to curve strangely.

Attachments

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
There is a good book about one woman's experience of keeping a barn owl for nineteen years. It is called Wesley the Owl, by Staci O'Brien. She worked for, I think it was the Cornell Labs, and they received a handicapped baby owl. Staci kept it as her personal pet for the nineteen years Wesley lived. Great information in it.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

emmynk

Moving in
Haha south sound critter care is where he is! That's where I volunteer. Okay! Thank you

sonja

Jogging around the block
Wow. He is stunning. I am on the other side of the country sadly. I will pray that you find a place for him.

If your organization is a rescue why won't THEY keep him???

emmynk

Moving in
Because its a rehab :( we rehab and release. They said if they can't find a home they'll just have to put him down :'(

MenomaMinx

Sprinting down the street
What exactly is wrong with the wing medically?

Pics and whatever you can copy from the bird's file please.

My friend Jackie and her roommate have taken in permanently disabled wildlife before....several times over...and Jackie just got a huge piece of land with a house as part of a caretaker job for the property:o:wner is letting them bring all her pets,4 of which are permanently disabled wildlife.

I'm going to see her this Friday.If you need a placeholder until I can get a hold of her,I've got another friend who might want it(but that that one,although sincere,lacks experience,so Jackie is the far better placement option).

Reactions: JAM

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
before they had permits my mother rehabed a baby screach owl but that was to the wild our wild life rescue keeps handicaped wild life to use in lectures is there a breeding program that he could go to where they release the youngs to the wild

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
:welave: Unfortunately I don't have any solutions for you, but RadhaVallbhi's suggestion does give you a place to start. Good luck.

Lara Joseph

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lara Joseph
I have worked with a lot of owls. If he has a deformity, may I ask how old the owl is? Is this a deformity he was hatched with or has adapted to through life? Zoos will take injured owls, so will other education centers, and wildlife rehabilitators. I believe Judy has given you a contact. There are a list of wildlife educators looking for different birds and this owl may be able to be put on one of those lists for transfer.

I will say, wild owls take a lot of patience in training. It is not easy. Good luck! Let me know if there is anything I can provide that I have not or that has not already been provided above. I do have a blog called Diary of an Owl Trainer. It has been used and still is by many owl trainers. It is located on Wordpress.

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
It's interesting that they are trying to find a place for him. The place I volunteered would have most likely euthanized him as well if the zoo's didn't take him in because they wouldn't want him to get into the hands of a hoarder or someone inexperienced. I hope he finds a good place to land and has a good quality of life despite his disability.

I remember my aunt raising an owl... I don't remember any of the details but apparently he was a pretty cool owl. I don't think I could personally deal with their diet lol. But they are neat. I know this is hardly helpful at all.