• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi - new member - question regarding canary

JeanieO

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all - my name is Jean and I own a yellow canary that I inherited from my dad two years ago. Her name is Daisy. Daisy is pushing three and she's on the goofy side. She loves broccoli and squawks non-stop if it happens to fall to the floor of her cage or God forbid she doesn't have any. She has some minor musical notes that I only hear when she wants her cage uncovered in the morning and squawks again in the afternoon when the sun finally hits this side of the house. I sing Yellow Bird to her every night before I cover her up for bed and she squawks during that as well (perhaps to drown me out). I LOVE her dearly and had no idea that a bird could have so much personality.

Anyway I have a question. Daisy's cage is open all the time. She seldom leaves but when she does it's because I've been fiddling around with something in the cage. I've notice that when she does get out; she mostly hops and flies very low to the ground for short distances. I don't think there's anything wrong with her wings, she has a flight cage and flies from the floor of her cage to her branch and from branch to branch without issue. Other canaries I've seen though are flying what I would consider a normal height for a bird. Are some canaries just better flyers than others? I've noticed that when she is on the floor of her cage she consistently looks like she's eyeballing the floor to the branch before she actually attempts to get there.

Thanks in advance!

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welave: Jean!! Daisy sounds like a fascinating character!! Not sure as to your question. I am wondering if she seldom leaves the cage, maybe her muscles aren't as developed as those on a bird that is used to flying longer distances.

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
One thought: most pet birds confined to a certain territory (your house), just don't have the need in them to fly high.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
One more thought. Wild finches are regular fliers around me, and when there's crows about they do tend to stay low so as to not catch the crows' eyes.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Jean :fairy2:

Daisy sounds so wonderful :)

I´m sorry about your dad ❤

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Welcome Jean and Daisy! She sounds adorable, I’d love to see pics of her:heart:

Not sure about your flying question, but I also sing to my birds at bedtime and my family has confirmed, without a doubt, they are in fact chirping to drown out my voice. :wideyed:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hello and welcome! Yes some fly better than others, but it sounds like yours simply doesn’t fly enough to develop the strength she needs. With more flight she could get better at it. Could you set up a perch some distance from her cage and teach her to fly to it? Then have her fly back and forth.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome