• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi, I'm new here

rk100

Moving in
Hi, I've lurked around this forum for a while and have finally joined. I love birds or I wouldn't be here! I've done volunteer work rehabbing wild birds and have experience hand feeding babies of various species. I don't have much firsthand knowledge of psittacine birds, however, as apart from budgies, the birds I've had interaction with have all been passerines. I currently have three birds in the mynah family, four finches, and two budgies.

I'm thinking of adding to my flock at some point in the future and want to learn more about various species of parrots. I've done a lot of research already, but nothing compares to hearing from people who share their lives with these fascinating birds.

Thanks!

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
That's awesome, and welcome! :) What species are you considering so far?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Welcome . Check out our forum list for what ever species you are drawn to. There is a great deal of knowledge on AA.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Image00004_20190106012754320.jpg

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and your flock! :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Welcome to the forum :)

There are some psittacine that can cohabit with your other birds pretty well too :) Depending on what you want to do or how your birds are set up. I hope we can help you with anything that helps your flock!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

rk100

Moving in
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Some species I'm considering are green cheeked conure, sun conure, cockatiel, quaker, and canary winged parakeet. I'm aware sun conures are very loud and that could be an issue, particularly if he/she became very jealous of my other birds and didn't want to 'share' me--thus constant screaming. I'm concerned about bird-on-bird aggression and jealousy mainly... worried my softbills could be hurt by a jealous parrot.

After researching, I don't think a quaker would work, as I've heard they're very territorial and I'm not sure whether the conures would be likely to tolerate my other birds either. I know every bird is an individual and species is only a predictor of possible traits, but I definitely don't want to take a major risk by adding a bird with a high chance of being aggressive and intolerant of other birds and end up being unable to provide him/her with the attention he/she deserves.

I've been leaning quite strongly to cockatiel for this reason, but would appreciate any advice any of you have to offer. I'm personally fine with some high volume vocalizations as long as it's not constant-- I actually would prefer a loud call a few times a day, or in response to certain stimuli than constant lower volume chattering all day. Spending time with a new bird wouldn't be an issue except if he/she couldn't share me with my other birds. They have separate cages, of course, but they come out together for play time in a safe room under supervision. Most of them go about their business and aren't overly clingy, but they do land on me off and on and the starlings in particular are pretty velcro. The biggest issue is that my most spoiled baby barely tolerates being in a cage at all, so that could be a problem as far as providing true one-on-one time, which is why I'm concerned about aggression.

I'm looking for a bird who's got a lot of personality (I can tolerate moodiness; I just worry about my other birds) and is interactive and loves to be with their person. I'm drawn to the parrot way of manipulating objects and playing differently than what my softbills do. I'd like it if he/she is more 'hands-on' than my starlings--as in head scritches and possibly harness training. (I don't mean touching inappropriately!) It would be cute if he/she trusted me enough to play dead. Talking is not important to me, so I'm open to a quiet female cockatiel. I just fear the chronic egg laying I've heard about.

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome. :)

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hey lurker, welcome to the forum :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
:blahblah:WELCOME! I found this site when my Amazon was critically ill and this group is just AAAAAMAZING! You will find friends, support and a wealth of informamation!

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Welcome to the Avian Avenue! I think a cockatiel is a GREAT option to consider. I would especially look into adoptable ones because, not only would you be giving one a wonderful home, but you'd be able to see their "fully-fledged" personality more easily. You could even interact with them (depending on the rescue facility you may find) to get a sense of how well they'd do with you. Best of luck and can't wait to hear more about your expanding flock!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@rk100 Cockatiels are wonderful birds. I never had one at the same time as other small birds. My Petrie was a little possessive of me, he was an only bird. If I had friends over he would not want me to look at my friends or talk to them. He would get very grumpy and want me all to himself. However if I wasn't around and my friend was baby sitting him he would be the sweetest little guy to them.

I think a cockatiels would be a nice option. Someone will surely chime in with how theirs have done around other small birds.

Plumhead parrots do very well with non competing species and can be placed in aviaries with smaller finches or budgies. I am biased because I am in love with my plumhead. He has a very sweet nature and is a calm bird. I find him very charming. He is very clever and picks up tricks quickly. Plumheads are not very territorial, though he has a few perching preferences. He will chase my parrotlet from my shoulder sometimes, but this is more midday and not all the time. In the evening he will share me as a roosting tree with Neptune. Plumheads don't usually chase with violent intent. He opens his mouth and "honks" at them until he gets what he wants, he doesn't bite at them. He is very good with the parrotlets, if anything the parrotlets are the sassy flirts who give him a hard time. All my birds have their own cages too, but play together around the house during the day. I wouldn't trust my parrotlets with many other birds, they are too sassy.

Plumhead parrots are not suggested with parrot finches or similar colourations. I am not sure what kind of finches you keep. Plumheads also can be more feisty when they have a nest.

rk100

Moving in
Thanks everyone for the welcome and @fashionfobie thanks for your input. I wasn't very familiar with plumheads. Do they usually dislike head scratches etc? I've read they're not a very 'cuddly' bird. (When I say cuddly I mean a bird that likes head scratches or to sit against your neck on your shoulder, not petting or hugging inappropriately. :) ) Oh and the finches I keep are zebras and unfortunately they are sassy little things haha. The zebras get along fine with my budgies and even the starlings for the most part, but they seem to dislike canaries and can actually try to bully them.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@rk100 Plummies are not fans of head scritches. Pi likes to sleep on my shoulder and he will learn on my neck. That is about as "cuddly" as he gets. I will say though he expresses his love in his way. He follows me everywhere and calls for me when I am out of the room. I am smitten with him. They are very intelligent birds and he loves training sessions. Once you earn a Plumhead's heart you have a very adorable little buddy for life. I absolutely love his voice. He loves floor time play too, he is very fast running around.

It is true they aren't cuddly birds, but they make up for that with their calm and easy temperament.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! So glad you're here!