1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi, I'm new here

Discussion in 'Welcome Lane' started by rk100, 4/14/19 at 4:09 PM.

1. rk100

rk100 Checking out the neighborhood

Hi, I've lurked around this forum for a while and have finally joined. I love birds or I wouldn't be here! I've done volunteer work rehabbing wild birds and have experience hand feeding babies of various species. I don't have much firsthand knowledge of psittacine birds, however, as apart from budgies, the birds I've had interaction with have all been passerines. I currently have three birds in the mynah family, four finches, and two budgies.

I'm thinking of adding to my flock at some point in the future and want to learn more about various species of parrots. I've done a lot of research already, but nothing compares to hearing from people who share their lives with these fascinating birds.

Thanks!

2. AutumnRain

AutumnRain Sprinting down the street

Kelsey
    That's awesome, and welcome! :) What species are you considering so far?

3. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    Welcome . Check out our forum list for what ever species you are drawn to. There is a great deal of knowledge on AA.

4. Sarahmoluccan

Sarahmoluccan Rollerblading along the road Moderator Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award

Sarah
    Image00004_20190106012754320.jpg

5. cassiesdad

cassiesdad Joyriding the Neighborhood Weather Authority Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Bob Weisman
    Welcome to you and your flock! :)

6. fashionfobie

fashionfobie Jogging around the block I Can't Stop Posting!

Natalie
    Welcome to the forum :)

There are some psittacine that can cohabit with your other birds pretty well too :) Depending on what you want to do or how your birds are set up. I hope we can help you with anything that helps your flock!

Sarahmoluccan likes this.
  7. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Michelle
    Welcome to the forum!

8. rk100

rk100 Checking out the neighborhood

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Some species I'm considering are green cheeked conure, sun conure, cockatiel, quaker, and canary winged parakeet. I'm aware sun conures are very loud and that could be an issue, particularly if he/she became very jealous of my other birds and didn't want to 'share' me--thus constant screaming. I'm concerned about bird-on-bird aggression and jealousy mainly... worried my softbills could be hurt by a jealous parrot.

After researching, I don't think a quaker would work, as I've heard they're very territorial and I'm not sure whether the conures would be likely to tolerate my other birds either. I know every bird is an individual and species is only a predictor of possible traits, but I definitely don't want to take a major risk by adding a bird with a high chance of being aggressive and intolerant of other birds and end up being unable to provide him/her with the attention he/she deserves.

I've been leaning quite strongly to cockatiel for this reason, but would appreciate any advice any of you have to offer. I'm personally fine with some high volume vocalizations as long as it's not constant-- I actually would prefer a loud call a few times a day, or in response to certain stimuli than constant lower volume chattering all day. Spending time with a new bird wouldn't be an issue except if he/she couldn't share me with my other birds. They have separate cages, of course, but they come out together for play time in a safe room under supervision. Most of them go about their business and aren't overly clingy, but they do land on me off and on and the starlings in particular are pretty velcro. The biggest issue is that my most spoiled baby barely tolerates being in a cage at all, so that could be a problem as far as providing true one-on-one time, which is why I'm concerned about aggression.

I'm looking for a bird who's got a lot of personality (I can tolerate moodiness; I just worry about my other birds) and is interactive and loves to be with their person. I'm drawn to the parrot way of manipulating objects and playing differently than what my softbills do. I'd like it if he/she is more 'hands-on' than my starlings--as in head scritches and possibly harness training. (I don't mean touching inappropriately!) It would be cute if he/she trusted me enough to play dead. Talking is not important to me, so I'm open to a quiet female cockatiel. I just fear the chronic egg laying I've heard about.

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome. :)

Last edited: 4/15/19 at 8:26 AM
  9. Zara

Zara Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Zara
    Hey lurker, welcome to the forum :)

10. Cynthia & Percy

Cynthia & Percy cockatoo mania Super Moderator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

cynthia
    welcome

11. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
    Welcome, and enjoy the site!

12. Snowghost

Snowghost Strolling the yard

Terri
    :blahblah:WELCOME! I found this site when my Amazon was critically ill and this group is just AAAAAMAZING! You will find friends, support and a wealth of informamation!

13. alshgs

alshgs Rollerblading along the road

Welcome!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)