• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi from new member

josephinr

Moving in
Hello everyone, My name is Jo and I live in the North East of England, I live alone since I lost my husband in 2011. I have had birds for the last four and a half years, I have two Kakariki's, two Cockatiels, three Budgies, six Zebra finches and two Parrotlet's I only got these two yesterday, most of the birds live in an aviary outside but the two new one's are in the house with me, they have problems with their feet, I have been reading some good advice on the forum of how to help them with this problem, I think it is called knuckling feet, I was told they have had this condition since they hatched or probably when they fledged.
Looking forward to reading all the forums.

Jo.

itzjbean

Moving in
Real Name
Jackie
Hello Jo, I'm new also just joined. There's a great amount of information here, it's a great place to learn. Do you have an Avian vet you could take them to look at their feet? They would be able to determine the problem for sure and help you get started with getting them better.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave:

josephinr

Moving in
Hello Jackie, It's like trying to find hens teeth to find an Avian Vet in the UK, I wouldn't take them to a normal Vet the solution would be to put them to sleep, apart from their feet they are very healthy and happy little birds, I've put them on a slightly bigger perch than they were used to and they seem to grip them better than the smaller one, they even grip on to the side of the cage so they don't seem to badly affected, I found a solution for them on one of the forums, you make a little snow shoe out of cardboard and tape the toes into the correct position, I haven't tried it yet because I want to let them settle in properly before I start messing to much.
Jo

josephinr

Moving in
Thank you for the welcome and yes that is the link I have, I only hope I don't loose my nerve in the two weeks they have them on, I'll probably feel as if I am being cruel keeping them on their feet, I will report back when I have done it and with a bit of luck fixed their feet.

Jo.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Its nice to have a flock of the "little" birds. Welcome to AA.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello1::welave:

Bluejayandemmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kara
Welcome jo. I can completely relate to your parrotlets I have a rare foot disorder

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Welcome!
:fairy2:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
:welcomesign: from me and my flock. Great to have a new member with a flock as well! How old are your Kakarikis, and do they breed or are they just wonderful pets? Do you have any pictures? The avatar picture to the left is my heart bird, Sunshine Senegal.

:greet7:Alway happy to see a new Roadie!

josephinr

Moving in
I am so enjoying the Avenue, some lovely people here, thank you.
Laurul, to be honest I haven't a clue what age my Kakariki's are, they were both rescues, both had feather mites and looked nothing like the beautiful birds they are now, they are male and female but haven't paired up so no chicks, I have taken a couple of pictures today but the lighting wasn't good so they are not very clear. Picture 1 & 2 are of my female Kakariki, Mildred, pic 3 is Bod my Male Cockateil and pic 4 are my two new birds Bill and Ben the parrotlets.
DSCF2240.JPG DSCF2243 (2).JPG DSCF2245.JPG DSCF2231.JPG