• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi everyone!

MissLeigh

Strolling the yard
:dancing: I am MissLeigh. I have a parakeet named Malibu. When I first got her, I named her Malibu because she was so blue and I thought of Malibu in California. I thought she was a boy. I got her from a friend who had parakeets who had babies. So, it was simply picking out a bird from all her brothers and sisters. One day two years ago I came home to a white object in the bottom of her cage!! I was terrified and then I realized it was an egg and he was a she. She has had issues with egg laying this year. In August, she prolapsed. Since then she has been on Lupron shots. But, they just slow down the production. I am in the process of trying to find a new diet and break her of bad habits that were mating habits but I didn't realize, like paper shredding, running down my shirt and sitting on my shoulder. She loves me, but my vet says she sees me as a mate and not a mom.

Malibu is thirsty.jpg This was when she was about three years old. Now she is five yrs old, birthday is the last week of December. My friend's bird laid two batches of babies, one on Christmas and the other close to New Year's, and she couldn't remember which one Malibu came from.

I am interested in reading and learning on this forum!

:)

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome!! I thought mine was a boy, she laid, and now she's on Lupron!! Very similar stories!!!

MissLeigh

Strolling the yard
Welcome!! I thought mine was a boy, she laid, and now she's on Lupron!! Very similar stories!!!
How often is yours on Lupron? Malibu started once a month, but she still laid eggs. Now it's every two weeks, full dosage. She has laid an egg at the end of the two weeks. She got a shot the day before Thanksgiving, laid an egg on Thanksgiving (the vet felt her and said most likely there was an egg in there already), then she laid an egg today!

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
How often is yours on Lupron? Malibu started once a month, but she still laid eggs. Now it's every two weeks, full dosage. She has laid an egg at the end of the two weeks. She got a shot the day before Thanksgiving, laid an egg on Thanksgiving (the vet felt her and said most likely there was an egg in there already), then she laid an egg today!
Wow!! She's very active!! Is it hard keeping up with her calcium intake?
She has it once a month.
They put her on Lupron because she and her companion had a massive fight while she was laying. She lost almost half of her blood, and prolapsed that day, so they gave her a dose. She's due for the next dose next week. I think I'll do it one last time, then stop it because she'll be healed and they won't be together.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Also, my vet told me another birth control option was an implant. I don't know anything about them, but could this be an option for Malibu?

MissLeigh

Strolling the yard
Also, my vet told me another birth control option was an implant. I don't know anything about them, but could this be an option for Malibu?
OOH I have to ask. The only thing he told me was to get spade, but it was a risky procedure. I see my vet way too much :laugh: . But, my bird loves him for some reason and he is an avian vet so I am happy about that. I will definitely ask him, thanks!

VICKEE

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Victoria
Hahaha yes that's Chalina my female gcc. She has become really skittish with me over the few years of having her and is happiest to just sit somewhere on me and not let me touch her too much LOL She has always been a project lol

RJ Noodle

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
Welcome! Lots of great advice here so you're at the right place. Malibu is adorable :heart:

vmashley03

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
:welave: What a cutie Malibu is!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue