• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hey Y'all - Brief Intro and Bird History

Leiura

Meeting neighbors
Hi and thanks for having me!
As far as birds go right now I only have a 17 year old male cockatiel. I've had him since he was several months old. His sister died about two years ago. His name is Squijum and he's one of the friendliest cockatiels I've ever come across. He even takes to strangers upon introduction. Only person he doesn't like is my 3 year old toddler. (I don't blame him. She's scary and unpredictable! :heart:)

In the past I had a white bellied caique "rescue". I use quotation marks because the poor bird had been rehomed three times prior to me taking him in during his first two years of life and he was always returned to the breeder. And in the end I still ended up paying $600 for him.

Long story short, I should have waited until I moved before buying a caique (or any other bird for that matter.) My parent's husky tolerates and ignores my cockatiels since they've been around since she was a pup. But she didn't take to the new bird. (I was 21 and still living with my parents.)
We only had the caique for a little over a year before the husky killed the caique when I was out of the house. My sister and her boyfriend failed to close the cage door after they were done playing with him. Ultimately it was my fault for bringing him into our house when I shouldn't have in the first place.

It was a hard lesson learned. Since then I never purchased another bird for fear of the same accident happening again.

As it stands, I'm 30 now and will be moving with my husband within the next year. I am looking to buy/adopt another bird in about 3-5 years from now after I finish my schooling and get my RN license. I am doing casual research until then to pass the time.

I still love birds and my love has never waned since I got my first cockatiel.

And that's my story. :highfive:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome -o you and Squijum! :) (Boy, does my computer not understand that as a name!)

We're a friendly bunch here, and we don't mind you "sharing" our birds..and the best part about that...no clean up necessary! ;)

Leiura

Meeting neighbors
Welcome -o you and Squijum! :) (Boy, does my computer not understand that as a name!)

We're a friendly bunch here, and we don't mind you "sharing" our birds..and the best part about that...no clean up necessary! ;)
Thank you. :) And yes, it's a weird name. I was 13 when I named him that and it was because he made a weird sound kind of like "squijum". Sadly, he no longer makes that sound. lol.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Yeah...my computer thinks it's a misspelling...it says "do you mean" all these funny words that make no sense to me.

Silly computer....:rofl:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Welcome @Leiura and Squijim. :greet14: At the very least, we're an entertaining bunch that will hopefully amuse you for the next 3-5 years while you bide your time, thought I must caution you: Prolonged exposure on the Avenue may trigger MBS or an increase in adoption rate. :D

ps Many of us have learned hard lessons. Sharing them is what helps others not make the same mistakes. If our stories can save one bird....

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the avenue :)

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. So sorry about the loss of your Caique.
Post some photos of Squijum when you get a chance.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Leiura

Meeting neighbors
Welcome to AA. So sorry about the loss of your Caique.
Post some photos of Squijum when you get a chance.
Yea. It sucks. :/ He had behavior problems when we first got him and it took him almost a year before he started to show signs of warming up to my mom. (Even though I was his main caretaker he still wasn't sure of me yet.) He did enjoy his head scratching though. That was about the only thing he permit me to do with him.

Anyways, here's some pictures of Squijum. :) These are a little old. Back in 2016. I've been trying to get new photos of him but he keeps moving and ends up looking like a blur in his photos. lol.

Also, thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I was sure that if I mentioned anything about my previous caique I'd be crucified for it. lol. Glad that didn't happen.

20160112_141337.jpg 20160504_121204.jpg 20160504_122310.jpg 20160209_130401.jpg

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Welcome! I love unique names :) I think the normal gray tiels are beautiful - I have one also - he is over 18 yrs old. beautiful pics of Squijum.