• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Hero was helping

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
:wideyed: If I saw that when I went to grab my vacuum I would be running out of the house screaming like a a little girl! :lol:

Lyzzi

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Lyzzi
Gosh, she's beautiful! How is her personality? I've wanted a large snake for many years, but knowing how big of escape artists they are, I just can't do it with my flock of free-range parrots.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:lol:

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Gosh, she's beautiful! How is her personality? I've wanted a large snake for many years, but knowing how big of escape artists they are, I just can't do it with my flock of free-range parrots.
I'm really particular about what types of caging and everything I provide for my snakes so there are no escapes. Only thing about larger snakes- the cages themselves don't come cheap. There are plenty of more aesthetic, safe, less expensive options with smaller snakes such as ball pythons or corn snakes. It's not as hard to keep snakes in as you might think- many escapes I've heard from are in aquarium cages (something I don't use) or poorly made DIY cages.

Hog island boas are probably my safety max size, she's around 6 ft. I don't think I'd be comfortable with much more than 7 ft, not because I'm afraid of snakes, more because I'm realistic. Between price, space, and the fact that there's not always someone around to help me with cleaning keeping large snakes is not a reasonable option for me. That's why I'm always irritated when people get smaller snakes and ask what they're supposed to do when they get too big. Duh! Don't but it.

A lot of people get these snakes and then become afraid of them when they get bigger or the first time they strike at them. Snakes aren't really like cats or dogs, you can condition them to get used to certain stimuli, but that's not a guarantee they'll never bite.

Hero, like most other boas, has an awesome feeding response. She'll only eat F/T rabbits, so it's a bit pricier for than rats, but she thinks they're awesome. Her temperament comes and goes, overall it's pretty mellow. Usually unless I'm with a friend or someone who has a lot of experience I don't let them near my snakes in the first place. She's a bit susceptible to bacterial infections due to an abscess on her nose she occasionally irritates, so that's when she's most nippy, when you have to give her medication. Holding down a 13lb snake knowing if your hand slips she'll make your day a little less happy is a bit of an adrenaline rush. It's not her fault though, I keep her cage clean, keep her nose as clean as possible, and do my best.

Working on a bit of a bigger cage for he this summer to go along with the nice little make shift pool she has already :dancing:

Lyzzi

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Lyzzi
I'm really particular about what types of caging and everything I provide for my snakes so there are no escapes. Only thing about larger snakes- the cages themselves don't come cheap. There are plenty of more aesthetic, safe, less expensive options with smaller snakes such as ball pythons or corn snakes. It's not as hard to keep snakes in as you might think- many escapes I've heard from are in aquarium cages (something I don't use) or poorly made DIY cages.

Hog island boas are probably my safety max size, she's around 6 ft. I don't think I'd be comfortable with much more than 7 ft, not because I'm afraid of snakes, more because I'm realistic. Between price, space, and the fact that there's not always someone around to help me with cleaning keeping large snakes is not a reasonable option for me. That's why I'm always irritated when people get smaller snakes and ask what they're supposed to do when they get too big. Duh! Don't but it.

A lot of people get these snakes and then become afraid of them when they get bigger or the first time they strike at them. Snakes aren't really like cats or dogs, you can condition them to get used to certain stimuli, but that's not a guarantee they'll never bite.

Hero, like most other boas, has an awesome feeding response. She'll only eat F/T rabbits, so it's a bit pricier for than rats, but she thinks they're awesome. Her temperament comes and goes, overall it's pretty mellow. Usually unless I'm with a friend or someone who has a lot of experience I don't let them near my snakes in the first place. She's a bit susceptible to bacterial infections due to an abscess on her nose she occasionally irritates, so that's when she's most nippy, when you have to give her medication. Holding down a 13lb snake knowing if your hand slips she'll make your day a little less happy is a bit of an adrenaline rush. It's not her fault though, I keep her cage clean, keep her nose as clean as possible, and do my best.

Working on a bit of a bigger cage for he this summer to go along with the nice little make shift pool she has already :dancing:
The first snakes I ever spent a great deal of time with were Ball Pythons; but I just can't bring myself to support poor breeding practices by purchasing one. I'm sure I don't have to tell you about some of the awful stuff going on in the snake-breeding world right now. :(
Ideally, my dreams are a Eastern Indigo, or Rainbow Boa. Like you, size is something I keep in mind-- I want the ability to be able to handle cleaning/handling on my own. But I am constantly worried about husbandry issues, such as proper humidity levels and the like.

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
The first snakes I ever spent a great deal of time with were Ball Pythons; but I just can't bring myself to support poor breeding practices by purchasing one. I'm sure I don't have to tell you about some of the awful stuff going on in the snake-breeding world right now. :(
Ideally, my dreams are a Eastern Indigo, or Rainbow Boa. Like you, size is something I keep in mind-- I want the ability to be able to handle cleaning/handling on my own. But I am constantly worried about husbandry issues, such as proper humidity levels and the like.
Seeing as most of my pets came from poor-husbandry places or re-home, I understand. I just can't say no sometimes :o:

Getting tth right level of ventilation and humidity with anything can take a little practice sometimes. Some animals more than others. My next snake for a colubrid I want a Mexican black kingsnake and a boid I want an albino male red tail boa. This may never happen however, but I'm a big fan of their colors :)