• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Hermit crabs

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I thought it was time to post a happy thread lol so here is one with my family’s hermit crabs, “tiny” and “keys.”
It’s always been interesting to me how similar their diet is to the birds. All fresh foods (store bought hermit crab food is actually very dangerous for them) and daily variety.
In their bowl today is: fresh wild greens, ground flax seed, kelp covered popcorn, worm castings, sea minerals, crushed oyster shell, bee pollen, bananas and shredded coconut, herb blend, walnuts and home made fish biscuits. 5DC9E105-364B-40E9-B21E-86A502BB270C.jpeg And here’s the cute little crabs...
7DDA533E-271F-44E0-A98F-A054EFFB89BD.jpeg
4790E67C-806A-4235-AA2E-2386410BB244.jpeg

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I just got done sitting my grandson's hermit grab. Poor thing, as soon as I brought it home I did some research and realize my daughter knows nothing about their care. :(

I ordered a heater, larger tank, more substrate, more shells, some stuff to climb and water dishes for the sponges.

I offered it some produce but never saw it eat except for a little of a grape. It did move to where the heating pad (I was using temporarily) was.

Why is the store food bad? I'll be educating my daughter on what I've learned. I hate that she never researched even the 'minimum' care they need.

I may just steal it back!

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I just got done sitting my grandson's hermit grab. Poor thing, as soon as I brought it home I did some research and realize my daughter knows nothing about their care. :(

I ordered a heater, larger tank, more substrate, more shells, some stuff to climb and water dishes for the sponges.

I offered it some produce but never saw it eat except for a little of a grape. It did move to where the heating pad (I was using temporarily) was.

Why is the store food bad? I'll be educating my daughter on what I've learned. I hate that she never researched even the 'minimum' care they need.

I may just steal it back!
You sound like a very nice grandmother! :heart:

The store made foods are packed full of chemicals and carbs that crabs would never come across in the wild, and all hermit crabs in the pet trade are 100% wild caught.

The sand sold as their substrate in pet stores is also bad because the grains are an improper size and actually cause abrasions during molts frequently and when caught between crab and shell. Play sand that you can get for $6 per 50lb bag is much better. A minimum 6” of that and you have happy crabs. :D

Humidity has to be 80% minimum as they have modified gills. Without humidity that high they very slowly suffocate. I use moss and daily water sprays to keep the humidity up for my tank.

Their freshwater and saltwater dishes also have to be deep enough for them to fully submerge themselves in. The sponges aren’t really a necessary item, but they help with humidity and also help a crab find its way out of a too deep dish.

I’ve found any temp below 75 puts them into a sort of sluggish, lazy mode where they’re more susceptible to illness. I keep mine personally at 80-82 during the day and night, but I know people who have had success anywhere from 75-85.

Each crab also needs an average of 3 spare shells for their “shell shop” where they can try on new sizes and shapes. When they submerge themselves to molt they’ll often spend weeks underground before coming back up to pick a brand new “house.”

I think I’ve covered most of my hermit knowledge lol and I’m sure you’ve already found most of it out but I didn’t want to miss anything.

Hermit crabs are often seen as throwaway pets, similar to small birds and they’re actually pretty cool (especially for kids; my kids find it fascinating to see a slice of the beach replicated for them) and each have their own personalities.

It’s very kind of you to be going to the trouble of researching and ordering new things for your grandsons hermit. :hug6:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Oh and here’s a good example of a hermit crabs dietary needs:

65EDA2A9-777F-4589-9CBC-34D4776AC413.png