• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hen missing 4 flight feathers and can't fly this morning, I think someone pulled them?

lancerguy

Moving in
Real Name
GP
Good afternoon finch friends! I have a recent issue that I do not know the answer to. We have 4 gouldians and 1 canary in a decent size aviary 6'x3'x6' at our office. It got abnormally cold Thurs, Friday, Sat, and Sun so we brought the birds home because we were struggling to keep the office warm enough.

The cage we have them in is a smaller one, about 3'x2'x4' but there is enough space and plenty of feeders (we put in 3 food dishes and 2 water dishes so there is no fighting). They have stayed in this cage many times and many different nights with no issue. Thursday and Friday night were fine but then Saturday....

Saturday night we put them to bed. Sunday when we came in, 1 of the 2 hens could not fly and was shaking one of her wings. I took her out and found that 4 flight feathers are missing from her wing. These feathers were all found around the cage Sunday morning.

I suspect someone pulled these feathers from her in the night. Thoughts? It was very odd Sunday when we came in the bird's room all the birds were on the ground, not sitting on the perches and swings where they sat when we put them to bed. Normally the hen and her mate sit together and the other 2 gouldians and the canary just kind of sit wherever, but no one ever sits on the floor.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Is it possible that she had a night fright and knocked the feathers out as she is usually in a larger aviary where if she was flying in the dark she may not have banged into a perch or cage bars?