• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hemp Bedding?

BirbPerson

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ashley
Hello! I was wondering if hemp bedding is safe for my parrots. I've read that hemp ropes/toys and seeds are perfectly OK, but I could never find anything on hemp bedding for birds – every other animal like ferrets, rats, dogs, and chickens, but never for parrots. The brand I'm interested in is called Earth Supply Co. All Natural Hemp Pet Bedding

It says that it's "safe for all pet sizes", but I'm extremely skeptical and cautious when it comes to my feathered babies and would like to know if anyone here has ever used the brand as bedding.
I have a maroon bellied conure, two budgies, and two cockatiels, and currently I'm back to using newspaper to line the bottom of their cages with (tried corncob in the past but it wasn't a good choice).

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I guess I'm a bit confused as to why you'd need something like this? Newspaper or butcher paper is really cheap and makes cleanup easy. If you've got loose bits like these, you're going to encourage the growth of mold/fungus if you aren't taking it out daily.

misspage

Checking out the neighborhood
Actually, the person who said that hemp would grow mold/fungus is wrong. Not only is hemp naturally mold (and pest) resistant, but it has been proven in several studies to inhibit e coli. It is more absorbent than paper or shavings, as well. I am not familiar with parrots' sensitivities, but when it comes to hemp's characteristics, I don't think there is a superior bedding for critters. It's a bit more costly, but it's supposed to last longer because of those characteristics. Oh, and almost zero dust.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
i dont think you can beat paper easy enough to change out also affords you the oppertunity to inspect your birds droppings to check all is ok i dont see lasting longer as being a benefit persoanally i want to remove all my birds waste from there cage daily as well as any chop that may be lying around on the floor, whilst there maybe no chance of mold or fungus in the bedding there is a threat of bacteria on fresh food lying on the floor of the cage.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
there’s better cheaper things to use, paper is flat and non dusty. notice the “low dust” and not no dust, bird respiratory systems can’t handle things in the air. and i assume this is a fluffier bedding which sounds unsanitary to me seeing as at least my bird and all of my other birds in the past have flung moist things onto the ground of their cage, whether it be fecal matter fruit or water from baths, but hey that might just be a weird preference.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Actually, the person who said that hemp would grow mold/fungus is wrong. Not only is hemp naturally mold (and pest) resistant, but it has been proven in several studies to inhibit e coli. It is more absorbent than paper or shavings, as well. I am not familiar with parrots' sensitivities, but when it comes to hemp's characteristics, I don't think there is a superior bedding for critters. It's a bit more costly, but it's supposed to last longer because of those characteristics. Oh, and almost zero dust.
It may be resistant, but mold will grow anywhere that has the right conditions. It's not the substrate itself - it's the fact that you get dropped food and debris as well as whatever you're putting in the catch tray. For the cost, and ability to keep an eye on things, and ease of cleanup, butcher paper or newspaper are both far better choices... and neither of those papers will have dust issues, either.

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
Okay, so maybe this is a dumb question - I'm definitely still a newbie as a bird support person - but why does an adult bird need bedding at all?

I mean, nesting, sure, I could see that you might need something. But, my birds don't need something comfy to lie on and they're not peeing so much that they need something super absorbent to soak that up. As long as I keep their cage clean they don't smell, so I don't need something for odor control. Really, the only reason I need the paper down at all is so I don't have to mop up bird poop all the time. Well, it's also useful so that I can see whether their poop looks normal, another thing that would be harder to do if they had shavings under their perches.

Am I missing something?

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay, so maybe this is a dumb question - I'm definitely still a newbie as a bird support person - but why does an adult bird need bedding at all?

I mean, nesting, sure, I could see that you might need something. But, my birds don't need something comfy to lie on and they're not peeing so much that they need something super absorbent to soak that up. As long as I keep their cage clean they don't smell, so I don't need something for odor control. Really, the only reason I need the paper down at all is so I don't have to mop up bird poop all the time. Well, it's also useful so that I can see whether their poop looks normal, another thing that would be harder to do if they had shavings under their perches.

Am I missing something?
I have seen a number of youtube videos where people advise substrate over paper poor advice imo

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@misspage I'm afraid I can't accept your declarations about hemp without your supplying substantiation - and not from people who sell it. A person can say anything, but when it's that radical I need substantiotion.

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
I would definitely not use hemp bedding. There was a time that this was really popular in the pet care world. When I was following my education for animal care management I had to use it at one of my internships. We used it for the quails, and it was absolutely horrible. Not only was it really not absorbing (it just became a filthy mush really quick), but I also don't understand where the 'almost zero dust' claim came from.. because it was really dusty. When I had to clean, I was just sneezing a lot because of the dust.
You also had to clean it a lot because it just became wet really quick, but it also started spreading quite the smell in a short time (I don't know if this was mold or just the bedding, but can't imagine it being good).
And we even tried several brands because it was supposed to be really great, but we stopped using it quite quick.

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
I can't speak to the product listed, but I spin, and hemp fiber is one of the non-wool fibers I've played with. I enjoyed spinning it, but I have to say it had a very noticeable smell - not the smell like your neighbor down the hall just lit up type thing, but it smelled very "barnyard" to me. Since I bought it at a fiber festival that was held in a fairgrounds I wondered if maybe I'd just stepped in something, but forensic sniffing identified that the smell was definitely coming from the hemp.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
people advise substrate over paper
When I brought home my own first bird Sydney, I had already bought all of his stuff, and obviously I picked up sand to line the tray with. Because EvErYbOdY uses sand right?! :lol:My uncle was better versed in the bird world than me and he used paper or nothing in his trays, and I thought, boy is he silly, for sure that must be hard work keeping clean :facepalm:
I used sand for almost a year before switching to crushed shell at the advice of someone in a petshop. I had Jaime for a little while and I was constantly switching out the sand or shell, now in two cages. What a waste! I quickly learned the paper way truly is the best way.
I spent an absolute fortune on sand. I have to shake my head at myself for not figuring out the tray liner situation sooner.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
it has been proven in several studies to inhibit e coli.
I think you have missread or missunderstood this i was intrigued so had a look into it and whilst technically you are correct this appears to be non canniboidal hemp can be used to inhibit bacteria in people ( if you are allergic to penicillin or other antibiotics )

this is well documented with various illnesses that cannabis ( hemp ) can help with your symptoms however this is cannabis that has had the THC removed hemp bedding would not help with regards this as it needs to be consumed in some way shape of form.

This has been researched extensively with regards to ( mamallian ) human cells but no more the reasearch so far has lead to the theory that cannaboids could be a potential substitue for antibiotics as they are becoming useless due to our growing resistance to them.

Aksarben

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Vernon
BTW, hemp was used for cloths year ago, before cotton and others. Hemp sails was used in sailing boats, as well as ropes and rigging. A type of hemp "glue" was used to seal wooden ships. People grew hemp, turned it into cloth and made their own clothes from it. When they were to the point of being worn out, it was recycled to hemp buyers who had it recycled into paper, called "Rag paper" In fact The Constitution, Bill of Right and many federal documents were written on "hemp" paper.
In the war of 1812, Napoleon had signed a treaty with Russia to NOT SELL hemp to England as their ships sails and rigging were made of hemp fibers and cloth and England had put up a blockade to France's water routes, and Napoleon wanted the navy to be without Russia's well respecte hemp goods to ruin their Navy. But England found a way and was still getting hemp from Russia and Napoleon marched to Russia to teach them a lesson for breaking their commitment. That did not work out too good.

So hemp has been around a long time,but newspapers in the cage are cheaper and easier to maintain.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Nope not a good idea. I use white cheap paper towels. Newsprint is fine unless you have a bird that is allergic to the ink. My Tuffy cockatiel was allergic to ink in newspaper. I stick to paper towels now.