• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Thanks for all this info guys.Let's just say it took ALOT to get him in the carrier to get him moved.I'm going to give him another day in his cage and see if he wants to come out when its just me and him home.I opened his cage yesterday and he just wasn't ready.
You are already reading his body language, and I think the two of you will be just fine.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That's good - just keep in the back of your mind how terribly scared that bird is. One thin I used to do when I first got Hank was keep my hands behind my back when I approached his cage - he had been hit and beaten, so hands weren't his favorite thing.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've had quite a few wacko macaws added into my life. Been to quite a few rodeos. ;)
I treat them the way I want them to live everyday from day one. It establishes a routine quicker. :) I'm not saying it can't go poorly, hence the stick and towel but in my experience it usually goes better then anticipated. I believe you have to give trust to them before earning it.

I haven't dealt with it on the macaw level but I feel the same. So many of these birds come to us damaged in a multitude of ways, and it's sort of magical to see how much confidence they can get just from having been given choice. Choice is a luxury that so many of them haven't been given. Choice gives so much insight. They often don't even know what to do with it at first!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
That's good - just keep in the back of your mind how terribly scared that bird is. One thin I used to do when I first got Hank was keep my hands behind my back when I approached his cage - he had been hit and beaten, so hands weren't his favorite thing.
Oh wow, that is just so awful.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh wow, that is just so awful.

I had a Hahns macaw that I'm sure her cage had been hit with sticks...she was terrified of PERCHES. She could only use platforms or rope perches for a long time because stick/natural wood perches TERRIFYING her. It was so sad :(

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
If he's chattering and licking, he's conversing with you. My macaw was very protective of his cage at first and the same behavior. I spent a lot of time talking and mimicking his sounds until he accepted me as part of his "flock". Now when I open the cage he scrambles to get on my arm for play time. I still get a few nips but no serious bites for months now. If he gets to aggressive I put him in his cage and ignore him, kind of like time out for a child. Be patient and get to know each other. After a while you will learn his moods and body language and he will learn yours. Blu can tell when I'm in a not so good mood and gives me extra loving and sometimes some regurgitated treats. Now that's love!

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I have 3 rescue macaws ( two severes and one blue and gold/scarlet hybrid) and I can tell you the thing that helped me most was following the birds lead. With my big macaw, bowser, he does not like dancing and silly things like most macaws. He likes soft ballads and sweet talk only lol. If I were to dance around him he would shriek at me. So I always talk to him in a calm voice no matter what and he stays calm for the most part. I had to give him trust before I earned his. When I was first working with him (and my very angry ten year old severe Fred) I tried to picture Jane Goodall in the jungle grooming chimpanzees (much more dangerous than a macaw in my opinion) and the calm she had. It helps me to realize that most animals are scared of us big predators and our energy really sets the tone. Let them lead and as said before treats are your best friend. For my macaws it’s pine nuts that are irresistible but it varies I’m sure by parrot.
Eventually you’ll find something that makes him happy and you can bond over that. For Bowser it was taking a shower in my shower lol. Never had I seen a bird so happy to dance in the shower flow. I laugh at him and tell him to take all the time he needs and he makes happy sounds while going crazy in the spray. In the beginning this was the happiest part of our day together and really helped us bond by sharing the enjoyment.

I’m so glad you got your boy out of a horrible situation and he has a good home now. :hug1:

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
As a side note - a lot of animals, especially horses, exhibit licking, chewing and quiet sounds as an indication of lessening of stress. I bred and trained horses and mules for 22 years. When a horse started licking, chewing and nickering during one on one time with me it meant that I had a quiet attentive animal to work with. Basically it is a sign of acceptance on their part in the relationship. I've seen the same behavior in birds, dogs and cattle.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@OK Mike I also bred and trained horses - QH and APHA.

@AshleyKeller03 it may be a matter of what kind of music. Mine like different kinds, and different from my own choices.

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
I bred Quarters and Appaloosas. In the last 10 years I was breeding Appaloosa studs to Paso Fino mares. I got a bigger horse with a smooth gait. I also had Appaloosa and QH mules. I miss working with them but I don't miss the upkeep and ancillary work (fences, hay, pastures etc.). We lived on a little over 200 acres and at one point had 38 equines.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I bred Quarters and Appaloosas. In the last 10 years I was breeding Appaloosa studs to Paso Fino mares. I got a bigger horse with a smooth gait. I also had Appaloosa and QH mules. I miss working with them but I don't miss the upkeep and ancillary work (fences, hay, pastures etc.). We lived on a little over 200 acres and at one point had 38 equines.
I got fibromyalgia, which is essentially the first day of the flu every single day and had to let all that go. I don’t miss fences etc either!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
You are already reading his body language, and I think the two of you will be just fine.
I think we have made some great progress already,he let me sit next to the cage and talk to him for a few minutes....first time he hasn't flapped his wings and freaked out!!!!!!!
:yah:Progress so soon with any bird is incredible, let alone for a bird with such negative experiences with humans. This is huge!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Awww what a sweetie!

Remember when @Macawnutz suggested favorite treats? Now you know the first one...