• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with taming?

Quill

Moving in
Real Name
Alex Simon
hello! So Levi has been with me for just over a week. He comes to the cage door and perches there when I show him a piece of millet and call his name (picture below).

image.jpeg

I seem to be stuck here and need some ideas on how to proceed to step up training.
He's been eating out of my hand since Monday and he does so comfortably. He doesn't mind when my other hand comes near him while he eats or if I talk while he eats. He seems pretty comfortable. He doesn't let me touch him and I avoid touching him so I don't cause him to become afraid of me.

One thing I have tried is: I hold the millet in one hand using my thumb and middle finger and let my index be used as a perch. When he goes to get the millet, he will stretch in order to get it and avoid my finger as a perch.

I need some suggestions?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You're doing fine. There is no shortcut to "earning" a relationship with a bird. It takes time. And 1 week is not nearly enough time. What's the rush? You have many years to "evolve" this relationship.

Quill

Moving in
Real Name
Alex Simon
You're doing fine. There is no shortcut to "earning" a relationship with a bird. It takes time. And 1 week is not nearly enough time. What's the rush? You have many years to "evolve" this relationship.
I agree! I was just wondering if there were any tips for dealing with a bird that is scared of hands entirely so I can move on in the future. I know it is a long process sometimes and I was looking for some tips for when I start to see some progress.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I agree! I was just wondering if there were any tips for dealing with a bird that is scared of hands entirely so I can move on in the future. I know it is a long process sometimes and I was looking for some tips for when I start to see some progress.
Same answer.

Some birds do not like hands period. Smaller birds especially. Quit thinking "hands". A shoulder, an elbow, a forearm. Anything but the hands. If they accept hands that comes at the end. Not the beginning.

Last edited:

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
Same answer.

Some birds do not like hands period. Smaller birds especially. Quit thinking "hands". A shoulder, an elbow, a forearm. Anything but the hands. If they accept hands that comes at the end. Not the beginning.
So is it best toteach step up with something they are not afraid of like your arm

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
A week is really short & I think he is doing really well.
Keep up with the millet. Slowly introduce til maybe you put millet spring in palm of hand. See if he will eat out of your hand be still.
Eventually introduce finger of other hand in between the millet so he has to reach over it to get to the millet. Keep backing up the millet so he has to put a foot on your finger to reach the millet.
All done over a long time in little steps letting him get used to each step over a long period of time. Eventually he might see your finger as something to fear & just get used to it. Use a larger sprig of millet at first & when you progress just a small little round piece held in your fingers. Then you can also offer other treats with your fingers.

Some birds don't appreciate petting touching or holding. A lot depends how they were reared.
Still it is possible to tame a bird this way if you go slow paying mind to his pace.

He's a cutie.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
In my experience I have found out it seems to be a trait in the species of these parakeets to be hand shy. You are doing very well from the sound of it. I have had my Linnies for over a year now and they are both still hand shy. I can touch the beak lightly and that's about it. They will both land on my shoulder and really seem to like the people that visit here. Is Levi free flying in the home? If you are sitting nearby in a chair or at a table he may fly to you instead of the millet. A apple slice is a good treat to tempt them with. He may eventually talk to you. My male has been talking for a while now and just recently said "happy birthday Kobe" and it sounds adorable.
I can even give them a kiss on the head but the minute they see my hand or finger that's the end of the session.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Maybe try holding the millet in one hand and holding your hand out like a perch.this way he can't just extend his neck and reach it.