• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP WITH PARTIAL NECROSCOPY

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
I hope this is in the right place. Just received preliminary results of Reggie’s ( TAG), necroscopy. The two diseases mentioned really scare me for Gracie.
Any information would be appreciated.
I had Reggie for 4 months and he appeared healthy.
His diet was primarily Harrison’s High Potency, 1 almond daily, tiny bit of seed and a nurtiberry daily. He also ate a bean mash with quinoa, veggies and bird bread, with yam, brocolli, apple.
Thank you.
FBD25580-928A-4FB9-8DCA-59AA8FBDF67E.png E5FDF7C0-D27F-4992-8285-DACD962F9A61.png

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I hope its not proventricular dilation disease / avian bornovirus thats not good.

Wonder where they get it & how you can test or tit...

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
When Pippin was ill about a year ago, one of the vet's first concerns was PDD, so I got a lot of information on the disease and its progression/treatment from that experience.

It can be transmitted from bird to bird via contact or through contact with the infected bird's feces/urates. For that reason, it's safe to assume that any bird that has been in contact with a ABV-positive bird is at risk of contracting the virus. At this point, there's no vaccine (yet) or other "cure" for ABV or PDD - only treatment of the symptoms once the disease presents. Not all strains of ABV cause PDD, and not all birds with ABV are symptomatic, so short of tests (and there are many false positives and negatives with cloacal swabs, etc), it's hard to determine infected birds, as it can even take years for birds to show symptoms of illness - well beyond quarantines.

PDD symptoms typically present in two ways: neurological and gastrointestinal. Neurological symptoms are stumbling/lack of coordination, head tremors, weakness, seizures. Gastrointestinal symptoms are usually regurgitation, weight loss, crop impaction, and the passing of undigested seed.

If Reggie's necropsy results come back as positive for PDD, it doesn't mean that Gracie has a death sentence. It just means that you'll need to be extra vigilant in knowing the signs and symptoms of this disease so that you can get her treated as fast as possible. Again, it can't be cured, but symptoms can be managed with medications.

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
When Pippin was ill about a year ago, one of the vet's first concerns was PDD, so I got a lot of information on the disease and its progression/treatment from that experience.

It can be transmitted from bird to bird via contact or through contact with the infected bird's feces/urates. For that reason, it's safe to assume that any bird that has been in contact with a ABV-positive bird is at risk of contracting the virus. At this point, there's no vaccine (yet) or other "cure" for ABV or PDD - only treatment of the symptoms once the disease presents. Not all strains of ABV cause PDD, and not all birds with ABV are symptomatic, so short of tests (and there are many false positives and negatives with cloacal swabs, etc), it's hard to determine infected birds, as it can even take years for birds to show symptoms of illness - well beyond quarantines.

PDD symptoms typically present in two ways: neurological and gastrointestinal. Neurological symptoms are stumbling/lack of coordination, head tremors, weakness, seizures. Gastrointestinal symptoms are usually regurgitation, weight loss, crop impaction, and the passing of undigested seed.

If Reggie's necropsy results come back as positive for PDD, it doesn't mean that Gracie has a death sentence. It just means that you'll need to be extra vigilant in knowing the signs and symptoms of this disease so that you can get her treated as fast as possible. Again, it can't be cured, but symptoms can be managed with medications.
Thank you very much for this information. I’m glad the birds weren’t in contact and I’m big on using F-10 on everything. I will however, keep a good eye on Gracie.
Thanks again.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I have never heard of a bird just dying from PDD without symptoms. The disease used to better known as wasting disease because they waste away until death. I would not jump around with worry until you get the rest of your results.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so sorry your lost Reggie and that the necropsy is far from complete. Many of the tests have not been completed and Davis is doing a very thorough necropsy. They don't mention ulcers in the proventriculus and those are usually evident upon necropsy with a bird that has PDD. BTW - @painesgrey information is excellent about ABV and PDD.

They are testing for several diseases, bacteria and viruses, and you should have an answer when they are done. Some that they are testing for are infectious and some are not. If you have done a thorough job of cleaning with F-10 and watch Gracie closely for any symptoms that is about all you can do until the results of the necropsy are complete.

We will be with you while you wait.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bighug:

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
I'm so sorry your lost Reggie and that the necropsy is far from complete. Many of the tests have not been completed and Davis is doing a very thorough necropsy. They don't mention ulcers in the proventriculus and those are usually evident upon necropsy with a bird that has PDD. BTW - @painesgrey information is excellent about ABV and PDD.

They are testing for several diseases, bacteria and viruses, and you should have an answer when they are done. Some that they are testing for are infectious and some are not. If you have done a thorough job of cleaning with F-10 and watch Gracie closely for any symptoms that is about all you can do until the results of the necropsy are complete.

We will be with you while you wait.

Thank you very much for your response. I feel a little better. I will keep a good eye on Gracie and wait for further results.

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
This update just came in, on Reggie’s necroscopy. Any input is appreciated.
Thank you! 5EC27D0E-A74C-4F0D-AEFA-F7737F70B760.png