• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with newbie

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
Hi everybody on the forums . I recently adopt an blue eyed cockatoo which have been told 7 months old and only feed on seeds . When he come home , i tried to feed him vegies and fruit and now he accept it . But im totally new to Too and i want to ask a few question

- he bite alot of things fans , chair , rugs etc.. by any way he can ingest any of it ?

- he sound like coughing , is very cold here and i dont know if he chill . I get him a heat bulb , he is standing on one feet all the time but seems to be very active in others , poop normal , and nasal clear . Very sadly there are no vets for parrot in my local . What should i do ? He sound like stuck something in his mouth and try to hiss it out . But it only happen for a very short time ? Is it normal ?

- his feather is still grow ? I see few feather stll just have spike and no feather ?

- on day 1 and day 2 he active as hell and scream alot . Now on day 3 he just standing on 1 foot and no screaming after i put him into sleeping cage ? Is he ok or he got a chill for sure ?

- he got alot of dust , should i get him a bath in warm place ?

Thanks alot

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
I feed him 60 ml baby parrot food today at day and night time also with seed inside the cage . He sitting still on the perch the whole day . I got him warm up . Still see clear vents , but sometimes he sound like hissing or pushing something from the throat . He also threw up a lil bit of liquid this morning after eat while he was playing outside . What should i do ?

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
42B234ED-A7F5-4796-890B-5387BB056783.jpeg 94D3F455-DA22-4549-B870-88CEFBD14645.jpeg AAEE8432-A0A7-4CF3-B273-7188BAC90283.jpeg

He is now having ceramic heat bulb 24/24 and he always sleeping like pizza tower but very strong not seems to be wobbly

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Hi, Linh. Can you record the sound he is making?

Parrots will bite many things. You will need to provide him many toys and safe wood for him to chew instead of your furniture.

Be careful with the heat lamp. Some of them are non-stick so it may not be safe as they can release toxins that are dangerous for bird lungs. He may also climb near it and get burned.

Feathers that are spikes are new and still growing, yes. They are called pin feathers.

If it is cold, I would not give him a bath right now. What is the temperature?

Last edited:

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
PLEASE take that lamp off the top of his cage and hang it much higher! Those things can get blisteringly hot even at a low wattage, and he's directly beneath it with immediate access to it. He could get severely burnt if he came into contact with the bars, the lamp, or the bulb, which is supremely likely considering it's about an inch above his head.

Taking his sleeping cage off the floor would also help him stay warm, as he's at the coldest level of the room and the floor itself is probably chilly. Putting him up on a table with a blanket around three sides would keep him snug.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cockatoos are dusty birds. Do not bathe him now if he is not feeling well and if it is cold.
You can do a search here for vets who treat birds. Some of them are avian vets and others are generally vets who have a lot of experience treating birds. Association of Avian Veterinarians
Why are you giving him baby parrot food? If he is eating enough on his own he does not need to be hand fed. Since he is 7 mos. old I would assume that he is weaned. Did you get him from a breeder?
Standing on one foot is normal when cockatoos are sleeping or relaxing.
How large is his regular cage?

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
I see feather on his head is twisted in the middle like this one . And i roll my hand gently it gone out but left the feather damage like the pic . I use ceramic heat bulb for reptile with suitable watt which cant get him burn or any acident . Yes today he is more active , no more hissing sound , but he only feed on seed from previous owner . Room temp is 15oC , but his cage always around 27-30 on 1 side

Attachments

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
I feed handfeeding cause he only eat seeds and i cant get him to more vegies so i think baby food would help with nutritions

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The feather may straighten itself out in a few days or after his next shower. My bird sometimes has weird looking feathers when they first come out but they straighten out soon enough.
There is a thread on AA about a bird who was severely burnt from a heating lamp, they have quite sensitive skin. I think maybe having any electrical item sitting directly on top of your birds cage is an accident waiting to happen, can you find some other way to mount the heat lamp?
I think it sounds like a good idea to find another spot for his sleep cage so he is off the floor, the floor often has drafts and is always colder than any other place of the home.....it is also a place most birds naturally avoid for safety reasons, he will be much more comfortable on a table or at that kind of height.
Offering him lots of toys and safe wood to chew up will be much better and safer for him than chewing up your fan, furniture and rugs. If he has interesting safe things to play with he will be less interested in ruining your house and furniture. There are often chemicals and paints on furniture so you really do not want him chewing that stuff.
A video of the hissing would be helpful, what is happening when he hisses? Is it when you approach him or when an insect is near him there may be a reason for his hissing. Some birds hiss as a way to communicate displeasure of some sort.....like a warning.

Welcome to the Avenue and congratulations on getting your bird :)

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
I believe he hiss after he flight mostly . Other time i dont see him hiss or any of agression to show . He never bite even once . Im keeping him in this cage because is too cold . He dont scream any more and also sleep alot thats why im worried . Also cant find any vet in Hanoi - Vietnam ! Very sadly ! I will get him things to chew but now he seems to be dont like to chew on anything accept seeds .

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Have you had a look at the link posted above? It may help you to find a qualified vet near you, iamwhoiam posted it for you. There is possibly a vet near you who is not listed in the link so calling around every vet clinic in your city to ask will be of help too. If your bird is sleeping more than usual he may be unwell, any slightly unwell parrot is most likely an emergency as they are usually much sicker than they look.
Is this beautiful guy your first bird or first big bird?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I feed handfeeding cause he only eat seeds and i cant get him to more vegies so i think baby food would help with nutritions
Have you tried feeding him pellets for birds/parrots? You can feed them dry or moisten them a bit to soften them. Maybe he would be willing to eat those. You might have to try a few different kinds and you need to be patient with this because sometimes it takes birds a while to start eating new types of foods.

Srohe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzanna
He May need a full spectrum light bulb instead of a heat lamp. Also he is probably adjusting to his new home. I would definitely try and find a avian vet for himjuat to be sure there’s nothing else going on.

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
No chance finding any vets . If i want to i have to flight with my parrot to another city which is inconvinient at the moment .

Update from today he is eating on seed but also a lil bit of vegies now , take him out the sun for uv today for 1 hour then suns gone . He is active back , but he destroy alot of things . He also have curve feather , bubble poop .

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
How can i get him to eat more veg and green , he always take them out or throw them away with his beak and go only on seeds . But dont know why he love banana so much . Im odering 1 zupreem for him to try . Hơw can i entertain him , he like to be peted but dont like to hop on my hand , he will eat from my hand and react to my call but still doesnt want to be touch sometimes . Yes is my big first bird . I used to parakeet and electus before

Attachments