• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with Escape Artist

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
We put one of those latches like hotels have on the door so you can't open it. If the birds are out I latch the door so it can't be opened until they are put away. May not work with kids in and out all day, but for regular coming and going it works well.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I recently put up a Ring doorbell, really works good, you can see the person and talk to them and its done using your smartphone. It's really handy cause I am in the back most of the day and I dont have to jump up and go to the door. Cant get the link, just go to Ring.com. One more thing, they are on sale

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Wing clipping won't do it. The right gust of wind and he will be gone again.

But here are my other thoughts.
1. You may have to get a bigger cage (or more than one) and keep him in it all day. No, I don't like it either but I don't like having to think about my birds flying out all the time.
2. I'm a person who loves to keep as much light coming in as possible so I don't close my main door if it is where light can shine in. And I want the kids to be able to go in and out all day.
You could put the magic mesh between the screen door and the main door. They are made to fit RV doors which do not provide much space.
It's $15 - couldn't hurt to try or at least go and look at one.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
I put these in my doorways after Tiki escaped a couple years ago. My birds are still both fully flighted and these magnetic screen doors work great for smaller birds. So this is an option for you if you want to keep your bird flighted.

https://www.amazon.com/Flux-Phenom-...pID=61AZmZ6noOL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
I like MeganC's suggestion but the link did not work so check this one out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LLF7ZR...t=&hvlocphy=9012017&hvtargid=pla-305208882854

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That’s why I’m asking. I mean, really...
From what you’re saying, you don’t sound willing. You are shooting down good suggestions for reasons that don’t measure up to Murphy’s well-being (i.e. someone wouldn’t go for it/like it - well, who cares when it’s his life). That’s why I said that. Your life (and that of your family) needs to change to protect the bird. It’s only fair.

lisaraby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa
Indie came clipped from the breeder, but she was (is!) insistent on flying. Within two months of coming home she could easily fly short distances and now that she's molting out the clipped feathers she can fly with absolutely no fear and with a shocking amount of speed. These stubborn little babies will get to where they want to go unfortunately, clipping them won't prevent him from getting out the door if that's where he wants to go. If a physical barrier isn't possible, recall training him is your absolute best bet. Trust him to come back and you'll trust him not to go out the door! All the luck to you!

Mrs Featherton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cheri
From what you’re saying, you don’t sound willing. You are shooting down good suggestions for reasons that don’t measure up to Murphy’s well-being (i.e. someone wouldn’t go for it/like it - well, who cares when it’s his life). That’s why I said that. Your life (and that of your family) needs to change to protect the bird. It’s only fair.

I’m shooting down suggestions that have no chance of being implemented in my home because I am not the only one who lives here and I know what will not be allowed, so I’m TELLING you that and then asking for other suggestions.
Guilt tripping people who are looking for advice sucks.

Murphy is doing VERY well with his recall training and we are keeping the front (and rear) screen door locked at all times so that there has to be a natural pause and bird location check before the door opens.

Thanks to the many members for their thoughtful suggestions.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
If you put automatic closing hinges on the front door it will limit the time the door will stay open--and kinda push people out the door:). Not the hydraulic ones that go on top (too slow), but the hinges that replace the current hinges. Available at Lowes, Home Depot, on line. Also called spring hinges. Louise is not a Lovie, but I did keep Louise's wings clipped for slow flight until she was trained (kinda trained--I just wanted her to know where it was safe to fly). Sounds like Lovies might be stronger fliers than a Grey.

Mrs Featherton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cheri
If you put automatic closing hinges on the front door it will limit the time the door will stay open--and kinda push people out the door:). Not the hydraulic ones that go on top (too slow), but the hinges that replace the current hinges. Available at Lowes, Home Depot, on line. Also called spring hinges.
Thank you! We do have the kind that you can adjust so the door closes just about immediately. We’ve just been pulling it closed right behind us as well.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Thank you! We do have the kind that you can adjust so the door closes just about immediately. We’ve just been pulling it closed right behind us as well.
cool. In thinking about it, have you removed the hydraulic door closer on the screen door and replaced those with auto closing hinges, again, just trying to think what might make escape less likely. I hadn't thought about the screen door and I may do this myself... Birds are so observant and good problem solvers. Too bad we can't ask them what would work, I suspect we would get the evil villain laugh and a response of "nothing, I can't be stopped, ohhh, is that a seed you are holding?"

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
How is your little escape artists BTW?

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I hate it. Clipping. It kills me every time I make a cut. However, I am in the same kind of farm living and my indoor birds were clipped. During this time I strongly reinforce the territory rules. Birds have cages and free house time, however if I say go in. They go in. Find a room, cool and pleasant you can both be in. Close the room door, open his cage and tell him the rules.

Birds will understand in time. Its no different than step up. Or any other command/trick.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Murphy is doing VERY well with his recall training and we are keeping the front (and rear) screen door locked at all times so that there has to be a natural pause and bird location check before the door opens.
This is what I was going to suggest! I hope it's working out. :)
How's it going with Murphy? Any recent escape attempts?